Firefox starts depending on pulseaudio for sound

>try `mpv --ao=alsa `
why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/581128/what-is-the-relation-between-alsa-and-pulseaudio-sound-architecture
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've literally never had any issues.

gtfo out of my thread, lennart

Pulseaudio is pushed to infect more systems with the COBRA based viruses. Switch to alsa or preferably OSS if at all possible. Granted if you want anything other than a text based browser you are compiling from source for alsa.

time to install gentoo, I guess

I did that once too, shit broke everything. Never again. I don't need network audio or huge latency so it's alsa for me.
Firefox ESR still supports alsa and so does Palemoon, I think. You can also use ==apulse== to trick it into thinking you're running kikeaudio. It's what I do and it works like a charm, I think I got the tip in this very board.

just installed that, still no sound
is there some configuration that needs to be done?

actually mpv sound works, but firefox is asking me to install pulseaduio again

Don't think so. You just pass firefox (or whatever) as an argument to apulse.

no, wrong again
mpv apparently defaults to alsa when there's no pulseaduio

oh, I'm an idiot
thanks

I hope they don't use this as a way of forcing systemd on us.

your fault for using Arch Linux

WHY ARE YOU STILL USING FIREFOX? ARE YOU RETARDED? GET OU OF Holla Forums
I'LL START REPORTING ANYONE WHO STILL USES FIREFOX

>>>/reddit/

Found your problem.

just restart it

yes yes arch is the problem
not a bug; thread closed

All I can see when I read that word is 'pseudoaudio'

>try `mpv --ao=alsa `

You fucking nigger realized mpd uses ALSA by default, so you switched everything to ALSA instead of mpd to PulseAudio?

Holy fucking shit you're retarded.

>OP uses crippled (((Intel HDA))) sound card with no hardware mixing

But why shouldn't he switch everything to the superior alternative?

what part of pulseaudio not working didn't you understand

how do you explain the fact that it worked for weeks?

you deserve everything you get lmaoo

See, this is what you get when you have no quality control and testing. If you ask me, Linux was in a much better state 10 years ago than it is now. Back then devs wanted to make things work. Nowadays they want to play around, experiment, and change old things for no good reason.

Actually, that's your fault for installing retarded bloatware.

Back to Holla Forums

Oh so it's my fault that I want to use up-to-date software while the upstream keeps bloating their own distros? Fine, I'll be on Windows if you need me.

At least on Windows, even when it's 10 years old, you can still relatively painlessly update the software, unlike in Linux. Because of, you know, that whole backward compatibility silliness that comes about naturally when devs want to make things work rather than experiment at the user's expense.

So let's update the program on old Linux. What's that, grab it from repo? Repo's outdated. What's that, rebuild from source? You need dev libs from repo. Repo's outdated. Rebuild the dev libs from source. Fuck off.

>>>/fur/
>>>/kemono/

We are hitting the edge of Poe's law here.

kemono is NOT furry

askubuntu.com/questions/581128/what-is-the-relation-between-alsa-and-pulseaudio-sound-architecture

PulseAudio basically sits atop ALSA, and use it internally. ALSA is unable by itself to be used by multiple applications, so PulseAudio provides this functionality among others.

Summarized:

ALSA - dealing with the hardware, basically owning it
PulseAudio - a software proxy providing additional featues (mixing, equalizer) between your application and the ALSA/OSS subsystem

What was happening is that MPV was the native ALSA application that was occupying the ALSA server and therefore, it was denying Pulseaudio to access it.

kill yourself you fucking degenerate animal rapist.

Go LARP somewhere else.

When the kemono BO deleted all the posts from board regulars complaining about the Furry trash shitting up the site, that made it a furry board. Unfortunately.

arch is not even that bleeding edge, it even has a testing repo
and the upstream doesn't usually release broken software anyway (except for lennartware)
I've never had any issues on arch, besides this time with pulseaudio

how do you explain it suddenly not working after weeks of no problem?
you can't because you don't know how to diagnose problems, you're ignorant and computer illiterate

Just use fucking dmix, there's no reason to force us to use this buggy shit

Just move to BSD. Linux is Windows 2.0 now.

Pulseaudio does automated and dynamic audio routing. Dmix + ALSA does not, you have to manually edit configuration files and restart the server to change audio routing configurations, this is a quality of life issue that's very useful for desktop usage. How recently have you tried Pulseaudio?

And that's why I'm still on windows 7.
I wish I wasn't too much of a scrub to fuck up that arch install.

exactly
freebsd is the new debian

What does FreeBSD do for sound?

The FreeBSD Handbook section on sound is really short. It says:

OSS, it's essentially pulseaudio with better effeiciency then pure alsa. But it is supported on way less cards and bluetooth/HDMI sound is fucked in some cases. Unless you wana start reverse engineering sound cards that is.

good one!

i thawt potter ring's $(uname -a) ~= ARCH

So tell me, how does the future work out? Does SunOS make a grand comeback with a massive influx of interest in Illumos?

here is your free reply, thanks

it's true until you start working with external audio cards and shitty drivers

The Arch update to PulseAudio 11 worked fine for me.

Friendly reminder that Brave, Ungoogled-Chromium, Qutebrowser, and Qupzilla/Falkon don't require installing Pottering botnet.

Lennart is a fucking tool but I still use Fedora with Pulseaudio and systemd. I think that systemd is bloated piece of shit but still useful for things here and there with system monitoring and maintenance. Systemd is also unified making for a similar experience across all distros using it. Fedora may not be perfect but at least it's easy to use, has the tools I need for actual work (the kind that pays the bills), is using mostly free/libre and open source components that can be audited by anyone, and it's extremely stable. My laptop has been on for 6 days and 20 hours as of this post and nothing is wrong. Assbuntu and Winpoo would've needed to reboot at least every 2 days whereas I can run this for months and just log out and in again for updates.

I'd actually use and pay for Windows or a fork of it if Microsoft open sourced it and built in a better permissions system, remove the spyware, updated the file system, and lowered the cost to like $50.

This was a valid argument in 1995. It's more user friendly than Windows now. The only commercial OS shipped with laptops and desktops these days that can actually compete is Mac OS but it lacks a lot of software.

Firefox is a steaming pile of shit now. The only reason I use it is because of the extensions I like that I can't get on Chromium.

Qupzilla is good. There's an older fork of it that I use on Haiku OS.

Do all of these browsers make sound at the same time as the other applications or will they take exclusive claim of the sound card?

Read: I will never use Windows.

I know Brave and Qupzilla don't have this problem. Dunno about the rest

People thought that IBM would never stop making home computers and people thought that Blackberry phones would be in people's pockets for 100 years. You never know, 20-30 years down the road we might be able to read the source and maybe React OS will actually become a thing. Microsoft open sourced components like Powershell already. I've also heard that Microsoft gives governments access to the source, though it is debatable whether or not it's the real source code or something that they've sanitized and fixed up to make it more presentable to draw in their potential customers.

That's exactly what it implies. Windows will not be open source and therefore, it will not be used until it does.

pavucontrol can help you more than your anime as well as pulseaudio -k and pulseaudio -D

Your mpv .config probably defaulted to a different device in your pulse mixer settings since you didn't always have it installed.

i feel raped by this picture

I had to debug part of systemd today, systemd-hostnamed. There's no easy way to do it despite the programs appearing to be separable, you actually have to strace pid 1 as you trigger things which is terrifying. It generates nearly 3,000 lines of shit on startup. How is it even possible that this fucking thing has taken something that used to be one sethostname() syscall and spread it across several different processes, a couple bound sockets, and a message bus and involved every esoteric Linux feature imaginable in the process? It's like it's been intentionally obfuscated. I still haven't figured out why it's broken, the dbus socket is refusing the connection despite accepting them when not called by systemd, so it's likely going to be an issue with the limited namespace systemd executes services in. I'm going to wind up spending a second day debugging a problem /setting a hostname/. Fucking hell.

The systemd conspiracy theory, which may or may not be true, goes like this: (((they))) couldn't take control of the Linux kernel (they=RedHat=USGov) so they took control of the next best thing: PID 1. So they designed systemd to be a second kernel running on top of the first, "increasing the attack surface" (systemd also does DNS, mount and login for example) and making it a "single point of failure" for the entire Linux OS. Compromise systemd and you're in through the backdoor of any distro using it.

Is this theory true? Smells true but we can't know for sure, yet. Poettering himself may only be a pawn.

Well there is no direct proof just fragments of it. For example the entire design of systemd being shit and some parts of its design breaking stuff for (((reasons))). Take the dns resolver, there was a bug recently found in it that allowed remote access to the whole system.

Also the kernel is backdoored too. See the cianiggers that own the linux foundation.

not that user, but on gentoo I tried pulseaudio 2 weeks ago and all my sound had a delay of 0.5 seconds no matter what I did. Alsa works perfectly.

I highly doubt it. Linus audits every single patch.

Just think how useful Lennart would have been to the glorious Third Reich.

That's a known feature of pulseaudio. If you need something responsive you have to go either with pure alsa or jack. .5s seems a bit too much though.

it's literally the simplest shit. go be retarded somewhere else.