Torrent Sites Suffer DDoS Attacks and Other Trouble

By Ernesto Fagioli

>The past few days have been pretty hectic for many torrent sites, several of which have suffered downtime due to DDoS attacks. But the trouble doesn't stop there. WorldWideTorrents had its domain name suspended, while IsoHunt.to has disappeared without a trace.

>This is exactly what happened this week. As reported previously, The Pirate Bay was hard to reach earlier, after a surge of traffic and a subsequent DDoS attack overloaded its servers. And they were not alone.

>TorrentProject.se, one of the most used torrent search engines, has been down for nearly three days now. The site currently shows a “403 Forbidden” error message. Whether this is a harmless technical issue, the result of a DDoS attack, or worse, is unknown.

torrentfreak.com/torrent-sites-suffer-ddos-attacks-and-other-trouble-170901/
archive.is/eKVe5

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160229084836/http://btdigg.org/about/
worldwidetorrents.me/
thepiratebay.org/
tribler.org/
files.catbox.moe/3xuhh1.png
btdb.in/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bullshit, they just changed servers.

True, worldwidetorrents.me

I didn't even knew about that one (or idope.se), I'm pissed because torrentproject.se was my go-to site. They even had auto-generated video thumbnails.

Does anyone have more info about what happened to torrentproject.se? They don't seem to have any status account anywhere.

No, was searching around this morning for info and I couldn't find anything

One domino falls, the rest have to.

How do you operate a private tracker that has only a handful of people in it? Will there be some sort of guarantee that the participants be able to seed indefinitely?

How soon until someone makes a decentralized torrent search engine? eMule (kad) has had one for 10+ years. Vuze has one, but it's pure shit.

Private trackers are less secure because you have an account attached to the data. It's much easier to identify people.

They tried, but with a site.
It was called btdigg.org
Closest thing to it now is qBittorrent's native search, but it relies on providers, which are precisely those sites.
But it needs to be done ASAP, to implement BTdigg's search engine in a client.

Here:
web.archive.org/web/20160229084836/http://btdigg.org/about/

worldwidetorrents.me/

Based on a couple searches, idope.se has more stuff than worldwidetorrents.me

The way DHT works, you'd still need a large database. I'm not sure how these torrent crawlers work, is it DHT?

thepiratebay.org/

Still up.

fuck off

Hasn't The Pirate Bay become a shit tracker that heeds to DMCA? Or is modern Pirate Bay the same Pirate Bay that had those bantz about legal letters?

Every torrent site is getting emptied of torrents. TPB particularly hard.

They have so much experience with this take-down shit that they must have something else, or they became a honeypot.

1. I don't trust a private company with my data and they totally are not cops or the government honey potting
2. Assuming private tracker is legit, having your data attached to a company/group that tries to conceal your illegal activities probably makes you 10x more of a target than just getting lost in the sea of IP addresses of a public torrent. The chances of you going to jail for downloading Latest Action Movie Part 2 out of 10000 other leechers that particular hour is nil.

What if you have a pretty generous seedbox?

tribler.org/

Has a built in search engine plus anonymizing feature that makes it impossible to prove if you were uploading a torrent.

Is there an API? The only thing I want is to search and get magnets, I use qBittorrent on a seedbox and would rather download on that instead.

Alternatively, is the search any good? What is it based on, a web service?

skytorrents does the same thing but is advertised i.e. is honeypot version

Does qBittorrent actually have any features that are missing from rasterbar-libtorrent?

retard
the way it works is they simply copy every IP in the swarm, get the owner of said IP and then sue them

you are not safe because everyone gets hit

>files.catbox.moe/3xuhh1.png
I'd upload directly but Tor what can I say?

Tribler is slow as shit for me for some reason. I don't know if that's my internet connection or what.

There's not a single private tracker that doesn't recruit new users online, whether through interviews or recruiting on other trackers.
t. member and recruiter for more than a dozen PTs.

iDope aggregates content like TorrentProject, while WWT is pretty shit and only used for Nem34's comics.

Skytorrents and TorrentProject were DHT sniffers. They're upload torrents from other sites but also randomly add a hash. If the hash worked, they'd add it to the list along with the metadata.
It's almost fully automated.

What the fuck is going on?

Really curious too. Did these people have no contact info at all? Were they memory-holed?

They need to move to something like IPFS.

btdig.com
No, it's a centralized service, it's not decentralized. It scrapes Bittorrent. Kad(eMule) is 100% decentralized.

You can scrape the DHT, make the database public/create new DHT, then anyone can search without central servers.

The .onion is still online (still shows 403), so the server hasn't been seized. Has anyone tried sending an email? The mail server is still up.

You haven't learned anything from the shutdown of what.cd, have you?
Thanks to that muh sekrit private club mentality, most of their torrents were lost.

If you search for "example", will it also show results containing "examples"?

You'd either need to include this in every torrent client, or have a web service where the database can be queried.

No, but if you search for "example*" it will.
Why not both? If the database is public, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up such a web service. You could also write a local client outside of the torrent client that queries it.
Take a look at sqltorrent and fts4.

any torrent site up now?

No, but if you search for "example*" it will.
Why not both? If the database is public, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up such a web service. You could also write a local client outside of the torrent client that queries it.
Take a look at sqltorrent and fts4.

btdb

Never had a problem with pirate Bay. Had a demonoid account for a while but I forgot my login.

Yeah, no thanks.

Kinda funny that after all these years, Pirate Bay is still up.

If you hash each token and issue a search for that hash, how can this be possible?

btdb.in/
Offline. Never heard of it too.

:^)

TorrentProject is still down

It's probably dead forever. A shame, I really liked that site.

This is your problem now.

fagiloi