Too many browser threads. Let's have an RSS thread

Too many browser threads. Let's have an RSS thread.

What RSS reader do you use?
What tech-related RSS feeds do you read and recommend?
What non-tech-related RSS feeds do you read and recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

eev.ee/
esr.ibiblio.org/?feed=rss)
twitrss.me/
kiza.eu/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

firefox

liferea. It's pretty shit and requires me to have webkit2gtk around, but I couldn't find any other decent graphical feed reader for linux

I'm mostly subscribed to projects I'm interested in. Things like linux-pf, crosstool-ng and the slackware changelog.
eev.ee/ is a cool guy who's worked in tech for a while and has recently gotten into full-time gamedev. If you like game modding/research, ramblings about life and technology, he has decent writeups about several things.
Sudo satirical is pretty fun if you're looking for tech-related humor. It's pretty new, though, and I'm not sure for how long it'll run, as it hasn't updated in a bit.

Besides pokemon-related stuff, I'm subscribed to a few webcomics such as pepper&carrot, whomp and the oatmeal, all of which are fun.

I use a horrible little regex-based RSS reader that comes with qutebrowser. It looks for links it hasn't seen before and opens them. Just the way I like it.

Ouch. I hope it just works for you, I guess.

It's not so bad when you're only interested in a small subset of the language, and don't care about the structure. The script greps for these regexes: [^]*[^]*

That works, if the creator of the feed doesn't feel like throwing in newlines or other things your regex script doesn't expect, but is technically correct as per the standard.
I agree it's good enough if you're just subscribed to a few feeds.

Besides, xml parsing is really cheap, so why not just use it? I'm not aware of any bash/shell xml parsers, but libxml is pretty okay, and you can use it with python through lxml. The xpath feature makes for easily traversing an xml tree to grab a value.

I'm subscribed to 52 feeds (on 34 websites) and counting. I still haven't run into any feeds that the dumb approach doesn't work for, so it's stuck in "it works now so why bother" mode. If something ever breaks I'll definitely rewrite it in Python.

Chrome > firefox

Nigger

newsbeuter, i fetch all rss feeds over tor and it's very comfortable once you bind jk to up and down and space to open entries.

Canto

how comfortable is it?

I rate it a moderately comfy/10

newsbeuter.
I read the feeds of: lwn.net, Eric S. Raymond (esr.ibiblio.org/?feed=rss) and Torrentfreak. I also have the ffmpeg RSS to check for updates.
I get the local weather through RSS, which is handy.

Newsfox for firefox

They're all shit or bloatware
None, also RSS is cancer use Atom

tt-rss on my own little ubuntu server. It gets the job done.

commafeed

based frogs

Thunderbird?

Is there one for Linux that can include twitter and autoscrolls

All of them can include twatter through twitrss.me/

Bloated, not simply an RSS reader. I've dicked around with Canto and Newsbeuter and I've come to the conclusion that RSS simply isn't fit for the console beyond the most basic text-only feeds.

newsbeuter. Snownews might be lighter alternative.

I tried snownews first since it's installed by default on Slackware, but a lot of my feeds simply don't work on it. Probably due to not supporting some version of Atom or RSS.

You need a script for Atom (kiza.eu/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/).

That's just plain gay, but thanks for pointing it out.

Well, if you read the description it IS an RSS reader.

These days the term RSS is misused a lot to denominate both RSS and Atom. I can't be bothered to figure out what feeds use which, and use a whimsy plugin to convert from one to the other, when any other decent feed reader can read them both without complaining.

That's how it is. You get a modular and lightweight reader that's also a pain to use, or you get a big C++ abomination like newsbeuter.

I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed.

rssowl

is the best. i checked them all out because rss is important for project.

ur a firefox, u hottie

project:
making an aggregation for a particular niche

have 100's of feeds and will combine all the feeds results and resort them by date, making an html index page of the last 1 or 3 days posts.
want to update once a day so crawling these feeds everyday would not be too harsh.

- am i dealing with different formats or would it all be pretty standard?
- how do i properly sort the results so i can work with the data?
- anything better to use for this than than curl or wget? i'm going to go with curl, i have more experience with wget and want to try something new.

ive made something similar before for craigslist and the stuff i did to make the data workable was really hackish with lots of sed and grep. so i'm also wondering whats the best procedure.

Sage goes in all fields.

gnus in emacs

Newsbeuter deprecated by newsboat.

rawdog already does it.

i fucking love you man, srsly. go out and buy yourself a beer and pretend i got it for you, you deserve it buddy.

GNU/Linux*

Linux

I'm using Brief, works great.

What do people use to think RSS readers are bloated? I have a crappy old laptop and it loads quickly, even with heavy pictures.