SanDisk unveils record-breaking 400GB Ultra microSDXC card

By Brian Fagioli

For a while, many Android device manufacturers were removing microSD card slots from their products. With the explosion of cloud storage, this sort of made sense. Not to mention, from a privacy perspective, removable storage can be seen as a weakness. Many consumers and tech reviewers spoke out against this trend, and, nowadays, plenty of Android smartphones continue to have expandable storage -- just look at the the Samsung Galaxy Note8 for example.

Today, SanDisk unveils a record-breaking microSDXC card. This new "Ultra" card features a massive 400GB capacity. Prior to it, the largest capacity for a microSD card was 256GB. This card will not only benefit Android users, but owners of other hardware too, such as cameras, drones, and more.

"Two years after introducing its record-breaking 200GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card, Western Digital has doubled the capacity within the same tiny form factor. Keeping up with the demands of today's mobile-centric lifestyle, the new SanDisk microSD card provides consumers with the freedom to capture, save and share photos, videos and apps, and enjoy offline content -- all without worrying about storage limitations," says SanDisk.

The company explains, "Ideal for Android smartphone and tablet users, the world's highest-capacity card can hold up to 40 hours of Full HD video and features superfast transfer speeds of up to 100MB/s to deliver premium performance. At this transfer speed, consumers can expect to move up to 1,200 photos per minute. Additionally, the 400GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card meets the A1 App Performance Class specification, which means that the card can load apps faster."

The SanDisk 400GB Ultra microSDXC card will be available soon for $250. While it should work with all devices that are SDXC compatible, this new capacity will need to be tested in order to know for sure. While the price is rather high, please know that it also includes a very impressive ten-year warranty.

betanews.com/2017/08/31/sandisk-400gb-ultra-microsdxc/

Huh, that's actually interesting. Extremely useful for something like a Nintendo Switch or a PS4.

Will MicroSD kill SSD before it even gain mainstream adoption?

Well something useful from the n-s-yayyy-kun for once. Nice article. Still gas yourself.
What does this mean in reality? Just some random certification to make it sound more appealing? I wonder how (((they))) got a virus into it. That would be about the only reason to shill this.

How would someone store a virus on a micro sd card without touching the actual storage space as seen at the block layer? Maybe a hidden partition that can only be accessed/formatted by setting bits on the regular partition just correctly? idk.

No because ssd's have larger capacity and are more durable than a chip you can crush in your hands and lose easily. I wonder how the energy effeciency compares though. Sage for doublepost.

Almost a decade now and they're both expensive as fuck and barely broke out the 2TB barrier.
Most laptops are only shipping with 128GB SSDs or none at all.
They can make it durable if they coat it with metal, not plastic. Also, for internals it would be irrelevant.
I wonder how everything compares.

But still, how much more does metal coated micro sd cards cost as to justify this as a premium product?

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

you have to go back

i had a tablet 500gb HDD that I fit in my pocket. The HDD died and I couldn't replace it because they locked the tablet down so people couldn't buy the cheap model and upgrade.

holy shit

How fucking new are you?

I don't want more storage space from my SD card. If the 128GB and 256GB SD cards aren't enough, then I can just buy more of them.

I want them to fucking improve the 80MB/Second transfer rate on these pieces of shit so I can watch movies/play games from the SD without my computer/the card getting hot as shit
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

To be fair, MicroSDs are small enough that most humans can't put enough force on them to crush them, and they're too small for the force per square mm to destroy them if they're run over (if you could even find it after running it over).

The article states they are at 100MB/s, so presumably they'll have made improvements that can get a 80MB/s transfer with lower energy consumption.

I wonder why there's no investment into normal SD cards anymore. I know it's a streamlining/size thing, but I feel lots of people would be fine with a slightly thicker phone/camera/laptop (which should already be thick enough for an SD card given headphone ports) if it meant getting tenfold the space.

What the fuck are normies storing on this shit? Even my collections of loli picures rarely exceeded ~15GB, when I had some bigger amount of ebooks and movies it reached at best ~50GB. Those people are insane.

I magnet my animus in 1080p since I can, so on average a single series takes up like... 3-10 gigs of data each. Assuming people do the same things with movies, it's pretty easy to use up a 500gb hard drive between shows/games if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

You fucking retard, most anime are made in 720p (save for a few exceptions) so you are wasting space and bandwidth. Enjoy consumerism.

sponsored by SanDisk®™

If you take photos, then space is nice.
I could max out a 128gb card in a few months with some fairly low intensity shooting for research documentation (if I wasn't constantly moving the pictures to our backup system). I could see how a real photographer could find this useful.

Taking video will also eat up space fast.

It's made in ~900p, and 1080p forces higher bitrate.

When will Brian actually do a neck review?

I can tell you that for me personally I like the idea of "infinite for now", I buy the most I can for whatever and then I'm content with that until it becomes a problem, by then years should have passed and I'll repeat the process.

For example I got 4x2TB drives for my desktop around 2011 iirc as well as 24GBs of ram because that's the max my board would accommodate, it's been 6 years and I'm still pretty happy with both, however I'm considering upgrading my hard drives when prices fall, I'll swap these out for 4TB drives if they're considered "safe" and finally migrate to ZFS. That should last me at least another 6 years if not longer, especially as video and generic compression improves and people push for de-dupe shit.

My phone is no different, buy the biggest card you can find because there's no reason not to, store everything you want with no exceptions and you can always migrate it to another phone or device if you want, even if you're not using 100% capacity.

I don't know man, I'm actually legitimately excited about this because my music collection is over 300GB large and this is the first time a mcroSD card has been able to hold the whole god damn thing. Normalfags all use (((Spotify))) and (((YouTube))) for music though.

Sucks to be them. Come the nuclear apocalypse I’ll be roaming the wastelands, scavenging for batteries and listening to my Sansa clip, where as (((Spotify))) and (((YouTube))) will be gone and they'll have no music.

My Sansa Clip with Rockbox took like 10 minutes to "scan" all my music on a 16GB card. Shit would take days with 300GB. It might be time to find a modern upgrade.

Your battery would still be fucked after a while. Lithim ion has a finite number of charge cycles, and after enough time all of the lithium ions in the world would have self-discharged so far that they swell up and become little Samsung Bombs. You'd end up needing a stationary set up with a more sustainable (through regular maintenance) battery like lead acid.

How do you recycle a lithium based battery? I could see someone unfolding the alluminum and recoating it in the lithium. But where do you get the lithium with ease? Especially in a apocolypse like setting. It would be easy enough to make a device to unfold the alluminum though using primitive water wheels based tools to amplify force.

Saltwater batteries.