Amd Windows 8.1 Woes

Currently running a r9 380. Not a fanboy of either green or red, it just was the best card at the time for that price range.

From various tech websites techspot/anandtech/etc all have said AMD was droping windows 8.1 32bit support. However trying to download the latest drivers for windows 8.1 x64 gives me the old version.(17.7.1). So don't let them fool you, this applies to the X64 builds of Windows 8.1 as well. 17.7.1 isn't the latest, 17.8.2 is as of writing this.

I mostly run /legit/steam/ from windows 10 SSD on my main rig, but sometimes i'll frequent skidrow/fitgirl/etc to try out games before I buy them on Win10

Personally I'm pissed, in order to have the latest driver on my pirated windows (win8.1), i'm going to have to reinstall all those repacks and download them off my NAS, and wait hours for those repacks to install GTA5, Far Cry, etc, and >observer_ would be nice to run with that updated driver. :/

Thanks AMD for fucking up my week. Also not getting baited into a Nvidia vs AMD flamewar. AMD drivers have really improved, i just wish they still supported OS's that are still under support. Would have been nice to know ahead of time, and makes me just want to buy a Nvidia next time around in case they pull shit like this in the future, even if Nvidia isn't the value king

Anyone know any working way to get (17.8.2) working on Windows 8.1?

TLDR? AMD stopping support for 2XX series and above for Windows 8.1 and ima have to reinstall dem games. which takes an entire fucking day thx to repack compression

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64
youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ.
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-halts-support-for-windows-8-1-with-consumer-radeon-drivers.html
techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/amd-crimson-hotfix/
techpowerup.com/230924/amd-ends-windows-8-1-32-bit-support-with-latest-radeon-software-release
us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/384.69/README/minimumrequirements.html
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse Applications&iItemsPerPage=200&iPage=1&iappVersion-ratingOp0=5&sappVersion-ratingData0=Garbage
&sOrderBy=appId&bAscending=true&sOrderBy=appId&bAscending=false

twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You do realize this isn't a windows problem per se. This real person at fault is AMD's for refusing providing up to date device drivers for a OS that is still under support until 2023, and has a wider user base than any desktop linux. While supporting even an OLD OS (windows 7)

Device mfg's sometimes only provide stuck binary to drivers that only work for 1 distro in 1 kernel. also the man packages and difference in linux doesn't lend to it being the best options. Added on top things like waiting on packagers to make it for yours and the wide differents between apt/yum aka deb/rpm just turns off anyone expecting stuff to "just work". Also lets face it, open source drivers, while needed and good SUCK compared to binary ones provided by mfg. So lets at least be pragmatic about this

Call Micropenis support and bend over for Pajeet Rannesh so he can help you with your issue today, sir.

Fuck off, cuck.

Wut? support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64

Yes it is. Why aren't drivers backwards compatible? It's not AMDs fault that they have to deal with shitty architecture. If Microsoft wanted to be nice they would not make incompatible changes to underlying APIs or provide workarounds while OS is still officially supported, but they don't give a fuck, because changing anything is so messy that you might as well write everything from scratch.

Again, Microsoft can be of little help, how the fuck can they support a product it doesn't make? Also watch this, or don't, youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ. I use linux with bhyve on my freenas system, but Again, Linux isn't the system for gaming, face it, or just waste your time thinking that you get under peoples skin, when it's you that doesn't know shit about systemd as you skeet all over your cum encrusted keyboard. Linux is a great OS of choice for a workstation or server, but gaming, and workstation is debatable being that it lacks feature level on par a fully professional video editor like adobe premiere, as well are numerous other things.

This would be Akin to if all of a sudden chrome demanded you run a LTS, because people rarely use distro's supported for only 1 year, because they can't be bothered with such a small userbase Windows 7 and Windows 10 are the primary OS's for gaming. I just installed windows 8.1 on a old hard drive for occasional use, and avoided using windows 10 because of the build updates and the always on updates. I avoid 7 because of age, but I guess I shoulda plunked on Win7. If anything I'm just looking for people that also are bummed about the news, I already said im working on the solution, and that solution is moving my OS and its games/savegames to a supported OS.

guru3d.com/news-story/amd-halts-support-for-windows-8-1-with-consumer-radeon-drivers.html

techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/amd-crimson-hotfix/
AMD terminated support for Windows 8 32-bit. We have links version 17.1.2, which was the last version for Windows 8 32-bit.
techpowerup.com/230924/amd-ends-windows-8-1-32-bit-support-with-latest-radeon-software-release

The Latest version IS 17.8.2, the one you linked is 17.7.1. The 64bit version AS WELL as the 32Bit version is no longer being updated.

As we speak im already installing it, and listening to my cuck news and fingering myself to old adages of 'fake news'.

I'm really just wondering If anyone has a similar card and ran into the same issues with the Windows 8.1 support dropped from AMD, but nice try, and a minor excuse to rant about how stupid this decision is esp in the wake AMD is still making drivers for Windows 7 (older os) and Windows 10, and ALL three OS's still have a considerable userbase among gamers

Okay, to prove your theory lets try installing a really old binary driver from 2011 onto a ubuntu 17.04 release and tell me how that goes. being that ubuntu 17.04 preferes using Mir over Xorg, i expect a # of issues to occur. Software is always changing, I'm not going to switch to linux for gaming because im pragmatic and don't care to attempt spend days messing with wine to make a game work at lower FPS than a native windows port because of MUH FREEDUMBS

again to clarify I dislike Microsoft, what they pulled on Windows 10, DX12 only, telementry hardcoded IP's into traffic so blocking via host in ineffective. They purposely made their OS hard to tamper with their telemetry spying.

BUT from a steam library with a person who wants to play friends with games, linux isn't going to cut it. So where does that leave me? Windows

Back to the point, you can still Run DX11 on Windows 10. so which API are you referring to that is incompatible? with the newer OS? Sure Microsoft could have made DX12 apis to win7/win8 but it didn't. Software tends to go forwards, not backwards. Sure that is valid criticism, but IT STILL doesn't justify AMD sloppily excluding support for Windows 8.1 just because it can't be bothered with it. Because of the AMD not wanting to quality check their newer drivers for OLDER OS's, it just dropped support a card with less than 2 years of use. Hell, even NVIDIA just dropped Geforce 6/7 support, and no not the GTX6XXX series but the from 2004-2006 ERA. Which is a ungodly ammount of support and time. AMD is wittingly not caring to provide driver updates for the product it makes because of petty reasons
Also if you think microsoft does such a bad job at backporting, try upgrading your kernel to linux on the latest and wonder why your printer stop working, your graphic display starts acting weird, or wondering why you have to update your grub.cfg to target the right kernel, etc, etc. unless you use a "stable" kernel. Microsoft sucks, yes, but if they made unstable software and messy code all the time, then I really doubt they would be the dominant OS used on the majority of Desktop and Laptops in a 20 year span through a range of various OSes. If their code was that sloppy, wouldn't their base just get slower and slower? Why is windows 10 better in some regards then previous OS, if it's all mangled code? I don't pretend I'm better than the programmers in redmond or working all around the world making the linux kernel or samba or interoperability between the OSes, but each OS has it's pros and cons

Fuck off, cuck.

us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/384.69/README/minimumrequirements.html
See this? Kernel 2.6.9 and newer. I can install latest nvidia driver on system that is 13 years old. You won't have any issues installing old driver form 2011 on newer system as long as you have all required software to compile the kernel module. Linux does not break userspace software unless there is a very good reason for it.

WDDM, windows 10 introduced WDDM 2.0 while windows 8.1 has 1.3, which basically means AMD has to develop two separate drivers. That's also the reason why there is no DX12 on 7 and 8. Microsoft should have waited with updating WDDM until 8.1 support ended, but because updating WDDM requires kernel hacking it's easier just to ship new OS. Hardware manufacturers aren't to blame here, do you have any idea how much work goes in to developing a driver for GPU? Now they have to do it twice.

It's called marketing.

I call bait. Why do you fags even respond to a post that mentions windows 10 and buying games like it's real.

WDDM isn't an API. WDDM doesn't talk to a application to send it off to perform task, or make it really have much functionality at all. It's the minimum needed by the GPU to send framebuffer/drawcalls into, to which DirectX and various other API's can be built on. Think if it as a set of minimum rules laid out by the OS, not something to help interface to a program, but rather more lower level driver side which is total controlled by whomever makes the display driver.
you linked to 384.69 FORCEWARE released on 2017.8.22. Scroll up and see exactly what I said. This driver is hardly from 2011, its from this year. Try reading the change log from the legacy selection and installing it on a modern system. Listen What im saying is thanks to NDIS, WDF which are components in windows, generally you can use OLDER driver versions on newer Operating systems. Lets say you have a older sound card, and the drivers are only made for windows 7 (KMDF 1.11), generally they will work on Windows 10, I've tested Windows 10 on older hardware drivers. They work, generally, sometimes they are buggy and can cause the system to crash because the old driver generally isn't tested/designed around the newer OS.

Linux is just a kernel, as you mention to make a distro or a complete desktop usable friendly system, you need some kind of display manager, window manager, bootloader, complier, package managment system, to which there are ALOT of choices, and to a person who designs a binary, they have to have some dependencies, which is why linux isn't the best at running binarys. All these things are not standard in a linux. Sure most distro's tend to install X, but Linux (as a distro) changes faces all the time. Look at init vs systemd and the debian debate with Debain, and other people trying to switch from X or Mir to Wayland, and Nvidia still not budging much from wanting to only support Xorg and not others.

What I'm saying is windows, hate it or love it, generally is better for compatability because of yes it's wide user base based on marketing and economics, but particular the reason why linux never set off on the desktop for programmers Is because they didn't want to open source their software and with linux it's dependency hell when you shift through what user base has what installed, That's why android took off on smart phones, is google/sun-java/etc provided a set of common tools that evolved over time, but still programmers could make their apk's and binary's to generally have it work on a wide array of devices. They didn't have to focus on anything going on the user-space and mostly targeted java, and now obviously they built a thriving user base out of making popular and keeping with the same packages and user space on different phones.

I'm not saying linux is worse because it has options, im simply saying from a person that just doesn't want to release the source code of said program, linux as in a desktop distro is hard to design for and predict long term. Sure, linux is much more advanced and in some respect better than faster and more robust than windows, but again back to pro's and con's. What one dev see's a pro can be a con to some.

No, and I don't pretend to know. They don't have to do it twice, they just have to check if the version they made on WDDM 2.x works on 1.3, They still made Drivers for Win7 (1.2) so they still check for backports, it's ABSOLUTELY the fault of the PERSON who makes the GPU to discontinue support and SOFTWARE for support, its their decision, Microsoft isn't forcing them to discontinue their support, they ultimately have that decision to make 3 similar but seperate and test them, they don't want to, yet NVIDA is making driver support as you noted for Linux kernels 2.6.9 and Win7-win10.
My point of the original rant was Win7, Win8, and Win10 ARE still supported and used by the bulk of gamers, excluding one just because it has a smaller userbase because you can't test compatibility, fine, you're a company, you have bills to pay. But remember I am a consumer, and I vote with my wallet, and Nvidia is clearly supporting CARDS WAY longer than AMD. I will vote with my wallet next GPU purchase. That was really the point of this, and to give some technical overview

And yet I can play anything I want through wine with my 1050ti, because nvidia actually makes drivers. WINDOWS AND AMD BTFO!

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Windows 10 most popular OS on steam, steam is most popular PC platform on gaming, yeah windows 10 users buy games, sorry to inform you FAKENEWS

Oh? Can u play PREY with wine without windows?

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse Applications&iItemsPerPage=200&iPage=1&iappVersion-ratingOp0=5&sappVersion-ratingData0=Garbage
&sOrderBy=appId&bAscending=true&sOrderBy=appId&bAscending=false

Wine can work, but as a general rule of thumb, Windows 10 is good at spying, and running windows games, and that is the main intended of this computer, not to jackoff to >muhfreedumbs

Nitpicking aside, you made some good points, each platform has certain advantages but still, situation in the industry could be a lot better. Game developers are here to blame too. Pic related. If drivers provided only what they're supposed to provide things would be fine, but now they have to fix shit after game developers, because inability to run latest game means people won't buy their shit. Software sucks.

Upgrade to GNU/Linux.

It appears I am in the minority that has migrated from Windows to Linux. I wanted better control of my computer even if that ment using the command line to fix any issues.
I built my PC with an OEM copy of Windows 8.1 and upgraded to 10. I could just go back to 8.1 but I feel like I am delaying the inevitable when 8.1 reaches end of life.
I have less time to play video games due to full-time employment, and the few that I play are available on Linux. I tolerated Windows 10 untill the major updates changed my program preferences and settings back to default.

why would you use anything after win7.
i have a radeon card on my pirated win7 box and it works fine with all the new gaymes

Mostly because I have a Skylake CPU paired with it, and Win8.1 is supported 3 more years than win7. Also i guess just because of better UEFI. Win7's UEFI is laughable, I turned off CSM because well, UEFI is the future.
With win7 and in order to pirate it, at least from the OEM method is really no available on a GPT based partition layout because things like DAZ/Windows loader require traditional MBR disk last i checked, and UEFI really likes GPT based disk.

That's great, im glad the move to linux work for you. What Distro did you even up moving to? I prefer LTS's or something with at least 5 years of support, so im not stuck in a torrent of having to reinstall my games every year. In fact that's the original reason i chose win8 over win10 on the pirated box, because I wanted to avoid platform large updates on a yearly basis and just want to stick to small hotfixes. I know about rolling release such as Manjaro offer flexibility? Also do you use the binary drivers for the open source drivers? if you use the binary are they updated with your package manager via pacman/apt/ or yum?

You also make some great points. I didn't think game devs did shit like that like Begin and end frame. You illustrated how hard it is not only making a functional driver, but optimizing for games that use either API which is a more higherh level then the WDDM as highlighted. DirectX 10's+ multithreadness did help graphics out for the better, but as you know with driver packages, there come guis, ways to arrange the display, etc, etc besides just lower level driver functions. I believe AMD's driver from Win7-win10 at least on the drive remains VERY similar on each OS. however when talking about higher functions such as DirectX sure, that changes depending on the OS you have, but I just didn't expect this move. Sure i could have installed the lastest windows 7 AMD driver on Pirated Win8.1 build, but why? I don't wana risk a BSOD mid-game. So I'll just goto a supported OS. Even their windows 7 releases are slated 'AS-IS' meaning they have even less faith in them compared to their windows 10 drivers.

Either way, i took care of what i set to do yesterday, and migrated my games over. I just think I'm probably next graphics card purchase going with green despite if AMD wins the budget GPU wars, just because with Nvidia i won't expect this shit coming around. I guess AMD doesn't have as high as consumer % in games compared to nvidia, as such i imagine their budget on DEVs are much more smaller, that isn't something I anticipated with them dropping support of windows 8.1.

>(((U)))EFI is the future
well technically you're right since I assume all the vendors will or already have dropped BIOS at this point

why does anyone expect a bunch of autistic acne faced kids with serious OCD issues to be able to call some APIs in a confirming manner?
this story is also one of many reasons not to use big video cards with big drivers for a system with security requirements