What was the point of Soviet invasion of Afganistan?

What was the point of Soviet invasion of Afganistan?
Why would two world powers one right after another invade the goatfuckistan country.
WHY?

Resources? Heroin? Close to Russia?, ancient weapons, ayy?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?ei=iWoBWN6tIoPqe5_ZsNgF&q=rare earth minerals afghanistan&oq=rare earth minerals af&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30k1l3.3603.5001.0.6624.3.3.0.1.1.0.237.596.0j2j1.3.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..0.3.440...0i67k1.La4rh5lgOto
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hundreds of billions in mineral rights. Goat fuckers do not exploit it.

The USSR tried for 60 years to turn India into a communist country, Afghanistan was a stepping stone to it.

Desperate attempt at spreading commie-nism

The reason they went was your typical landgrab ideology game along with those countries having rich resources.

The soviet didn't invade Afghanistan.

Afghanistan had pretty much commie gov' since the 50's (the king prime minister was pro-soviet), but was plague by (commie, internal) putsch which fueled a rebellion which in turn was fueled by the West (as Pakistan was the only pro-west country they sought to bring Afghanistan to their side).

Meanwhile the soviet though they could turn Baluchistan (province in Pakistan) commie, which would have let to Russia finally having access to a non close by the west, non-freezing sea port.

So after the N°X coup, soviets decided to get rid of the incompetent local communist leadership and rule it directly.

Basically saying that the soviet invaded afghanistan is like saying the US invaded vietnam.

They went to stabilize a regime that was already theirs, and it turned into a cluster fuck (that's the only parallel with Vietnam BTW, neither in scope or intensity is Soviet Afghanistan war comparable to the US Vietnam war).

Not in comparison? Soviets even had a better K/D and may have killed more overall.
They were in for extermination.

It doesn't take a nigger to figure out the KGB was in the same business as the CIA.

CIA had the Golden Triangle and the USSR needed "black revenue" from Afghan heroin.

Come on people.

The US had something between 5 to 10 more deaths in Vietnam, most soviet soldiers casualties in Afghanistan died/got medevac from appalling living conditions because the Soviet army logistic was geared toward large formations moving fast moves over great areas. Not piece meal dispersion.
As a result soviet soldiers lacked pretty much everything (no meds, no doctors, barely any food, etc…), you could have disease kill a FOB like it was the 18th century. Then you add exactly what today Afghanistan is, two or three companies worth of men deployed over-watching places in FOBs in a valley, which will be bored to death for 6 months save a few random mortar attack, until one day one of them end up swamped in beardies. Except with conscripts and no body armor/good helmets.

Meanwhile in Vietnam you had actual offensive front-lines, divisional fighting, etc…

Also wiki number of civilians dead are certainly vastly exaggerated, but the numbers of refugee isn't. The soviet realized that Afghanistan is a big uncontrollable country, so they tried to forced a rural exodus, via mass deportation, MVD came in a valley, get into firefight with the locals (or not), piled all the civilians on truck and ship them to the nearest city, burned the place, mined the shit out of the valley, left a few fortified outpost overlooking access to said valley from the main road. Rince repeat.
It worked, they extinguished most of the rebellion. Most of the population was in cities where the usual secret police could control them.

Except the few rebels left where getting massive support from outside and especially… fresh bodies called Mujaheddin, mudslimes fro everywhere (but mostly local Pakistanis) to answer the call of Jihad, one of the most important of those heroes (as painted by the western press) was a Saudi noble called Osama…
The rest is history.

You can draw parallels with Syria (or Bosnia but hush) where the rebellion started as Syrian but isn't anymore.

It's like the end-goal of subverting a country.

to create a philosopher stone of course!

Thanks for filling me in friend

for once (1) is actually right

Is Soros father?

idk maybe he's just a homologous i doubt father would even have a public persona

Homunculus

geopolitics

They were bored.

I'm missing something here or looking to deep, where are the parallels to Soviet-Afghan.

Americans don't know history at all do they.

So we can have Metal Gear Solid 5 and Rambo 3.

Every thing you said and this:

google.com/search?ei=iWoBWN6tIoPqe5_ZsNgF&q=rare earth minerals afghanistan&oq=rare earth minerals af&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30k1l3.3603.5001.0.6624.3.3.0.1.1.0.237.596.0j2j1.3.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..0.3.440...0i67k1.La4rh5lgOto

The high and the low are well covered here.

In order to find the hidden tomb of Alexander the Great and create super-warrior Alexander clones. Or perhaps the Pashtuns are just a particularly shitty race that manages to aggravate many world powers.

THE GREAT GAME

You don't always need a full blown military invasion to get the lions share in mineral rights. Plenty of third would countries have been bilked out of minerals by foreign nations. There would have needed to be another reason for invasion, not just minerals.

yuri bezmenov mentions the USSR trying to subvert India (he didn't mention Africa), do you know of any books or other sources that show what YB was talking about?

With regards to Bosnia, Alija Izetbegovic was interested in making it an Islamic state, or a Wilaayah (province of a caliphate), most likely knowing that this would put non-muslims in a second-class citizenship. Izetbegovic enlisted banking help from Iran strangely enough (Iran is Shi'a, nearly everywhere else is Sunni, including Bosnia). To sum it up, it's the fault of the media that regardless of the intention, misconstrued the situation in the balkans and didn't report the brutality of the Bosnian army or the Mujahideen (which Izetbegovic) against the Croats or Serbs many of the POWs were beheaded or tortured, then shot.
tl;dr, Izetbegovic was interested in carving out an Islamic State in Bosnia, and used the media to report on muh srebrenica technically, not a war crime regardless of what the press will state

Gosh, using the foreign press which is not worth toilet tissue to cover a sensitive and incredibly complicated political matter? Where else have I heard that before? Hmmm…