Looking back on some of the classic Disney Afternoon shows...

Looking back on some of the classic Disney Afternoon shows, I was surprised to find that most of them still hold up even to this day with remarkably drawn animation, a cast of memorable characters, and even cleverly written stories and humor. But then I got to thinking about some of the more recent Disney cartoon shows and how they hold up compared to the classics.
These seem to lean towards appealing more to the teens and young adult demographic rather than a mainstream audience allowing anyone of any age to appreciate.

Which raises an important question, do you believe the newer cartoons of the 2010s will withstand the test of time and be revisited with fondness by newcomers and nostalgic adults who grew up with these cartoons in the past?

Wander maybe. Maybe. But Gravity Falls? No chance.

Why not?

I feel like Wander has more timeless quality considering it's a wacky space adventure cartoon. Gravity Falls references fucking memes.

Are you kidding? Wander is already half-way forgotten. Ten years from now, people will still remember Gravity Falls.

I still remember Gummi Bears. The show they made good apparently as a joke which has never gotten pushed out of my top 10 fantasy settings from TV shows.

Oh they'll still remember alright. Remember what a painfully dated and poorly executed show it was in hindsight.

That never stopped 90´s MARVEL cartoons.

I know it's way too early to make a judgment on it since the series is far from over but Star Vs the Forces of Evil is probably the best Disney cartoon we've gotten in years.

Low standards are great, huh?

People are already beginning to see the cracks that were in Gravity Falls and realize the series wasn't as perfect as they remembered and it hoped it would be.

I imagine animation historians will see it as a prime example of how to use digital animation tools to create smooth and energetic Flash animation. It's not even funny how a Flash animation like Wander is more energetic and lively than the fucking Calarts hand drawn animation in Cartoon Network.

Gravity falls was very funny first time around….on rewatch?

It's incredibly dated and feels like one joke over and over:

"JOKE SAID VERY LOUDLY!"

Resulting in a very non-organic show.

Honestly with the exception of the Loud House nothing memorable has been made for quite a while.

It's impossible to say for certain since what could have been seen as popular today could be seen as passe in years.

Kill yourself.

But you have to admit the ingeniously paced mystery aspect and intricate well developed worldbuilding lead to some intense suspense that left audiences on the edge of their seat right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAH

And what exactly do you have a problem with?

The pacing was absolutely horrible and rushed at the end for the whole show. There was the fact Disney basically started sidelining it ala Steven Universe. New episodes took forever to come out. Then most of the episodes that did release were just shitty filler ones that advanced nothing at all most of the time. When the mystery bits picked up, you'd have at least another 5 episodes NOT focusing on anything we just learned. If you think that's ingenious pacing then you have no damn taste.

People take the lore stuff too seriously, it's clearly meant to be an episodic character-driven kids' comedy first

That's what happens when you insert in serious lore shit. People want more of the lore shit.

The chances of those shows still holding up would be higher if they had catchy theme songs.

The only good thing about Loud House is waifus. The episodes are fucking terrible. Unsurprisingly coming from a guy who ruined Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls.
If a show with better writings and better waifus appears, the Loud House can pack it.

Fuck off, Hirsch. You're not fooling anyone.

I sometimes wonder if I'm too harshly judging anons who have nostalgia goggles for shows that I didn't like growing up, because I fear I may be doing the same for shows that were actually just as shitty in different ways… But then I think back and sometimes go back and realize that, No, some of these shows were objectively good (or at least as close to objectively good as cartoons can get) and that the shows I hated were actually shit and people who defend and glorify certain shows are faggots with shit taste.

Phineas and Ferb and Wander Over Yonder seem harmless enough on their own but I doubt either show will be brought up very often in passing years which isn't a bad thing necessarily.
Prior 2000s era cartoon shows like Kim Possible, Proud Family, or American Dragon hardly get brought up today but that doesn't make them terrible.

Kim Possible is pretty much considered one of the best Disney cartoons of the 2000s, so I doubt that

Why is Phineas & Ferb there instead of SVTFOE

Because Star Vs is still ongoing while all the other cartoon shows posted have ended. It's kinda hard to fully judge something when it isn't even finished yet.

Late Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe suffer from this worse

It's just adorable when Holla Forums is trying really hard to pretend to be like /a/ senpai.

not an argument

I never said it's meant to be one.

It is annoying how Holla Forums misuses the therm "waifu".
Cartoon characters can't be fucking waifus, the idiot that goes around saying X or Y general thread is a "waifu thread" on Holla Forums is an idiot that does not even understand what a waifu is, and he should be banned.

There is NO fucking waifus on Holla Forums, get it straigth.

You are as bad as the entirety of /waifuist/ and Holla Forums also twisting the definition of what a waifu is, it is infuriating.

And just what exactly do the better Disney cartoons of today lack compared to these classic shows that prevents them from becoming relevant?

Timelessness and good animation.

90% of modern gags and humor style will be outdated and unfunny 10 years later, and there will be no good or even well stylized animation to fall back on.

How does "imaginary girlfriend" sound?

20 years they'll be considered nostalgic

Well the animations not good enough. It may make for "Satire Fodder"