Why is it so hard to develop good imageboard software? Why doesn't someone just make one in C?

Why is it so hard to develop good imageboard software? Why doesn't someone just make one in C?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ololoepepe/ololord
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fixed.

The biggest problems are correct management of concurrent request (should be easy if it uses http with a webserver though), proper storing of images and other media (no, deduplication is not easy), and, of course, proper database management so that querying threads or updating them doesn't take forever
Then there's the matter of moderation, which means adding special functions to report posts, then user features like post hiding
I'm sure there's more, but these are some important pieces
No, the language isn't going to help at all

It's not hard, you don't even need a db or even a real filesystem due to the structure of imageboards. The problem is they generate no money so anyone with talent isn't going to blow a month writing one. Find a way to make them profitable and I'll write one.

People HAVE made imageboards in C. But it's a terrible idea because if you want to write a website in C you'll also need to write the server stack. Generally speaking they're security nightmares. The speed you gain is marginal at best. It's best to use a web development language on top of proven server software every fucking time. Another slight benefit to C based websites is portability (you can just drop it onto any computer and have it all ready and configured) but again it's not worth it.

OP, I started writing one in Sepples targeting Cygwin (because all of this code is platform-specific). It isn't even multithreaded yet. It's just a daemon that returns a 404 message. Then, I lost motivation.
#include #include #include #include #include #include #include int main (void) { int dsock, insock; sockaddr_in daddr, inaddr; socklen_t len; dsock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP); if (0 > dsock) { std::cerr

Why don't you just use lighttpd and have the cgi written in C?

The idea at the time was to have the software be the httpd also. It would do its own content caching, connection management, etc so that there wouldn't be process context switches in order to serve the different data. Ideally, that would save time, and mitigate the various vulnerabilities that adding other software to the mix introduces.

Sounds like fastcgi.

Rewrite it in bash.

Link?
What is FastCGI? You could also take an existing web server (eg openbsd httpd) and edit it to integrate it.

it was some Chinese imageboard software, unfortunately it seems the git was deleted although I might still have it saved on one of my HDDs. I made a thread about it here before
There's also this written in C++
github.com/ololoepepe/ololord

If you don't add a feature to edit or delete posts, they can still do it.

What do you mean?

reposting

There are lots of NEET autists that are good programmers though.

So which language is the best?

The fair majority doesn't. Torvalds isn't a rich man when put in relation to the amount of work he's done, neither are any of the FSF contributors.

and that's why free software is so shit
nobody skilled will develop it, only noobs

That's not the case, though. Truth is - only the most dedicated gurus - people who truly understand the philosophy behind free software and have seen the dark side of proprietary code tend to develop floss. The contrary is true - only an unskilled pajeet would develop proprietary software for a few rupees because that's the only way he could earn money and he will commit trash code which he later will fix in order to have stable income and simulate hard work. That's why proprietary software is shit.

money isn't everything in the world, though. The world benefits from free software infinite times more than the equivalent closed source trash. There will always be some niche fields with proprietary software but it's slowly dying, the future is floss.

because that would require someone here to actually know C

do you consider this to be CGI/Perl, PHP, ASP? ASP.NET? Java EE? Ruby on Rails? Node.js?
it's a trick question, they're all shit

forgot ColdFusion

In honour of Stallman it should be done in lisp.

But currently the best software is nntpchan.

You don't need half of that code. Just use fastcgi and have the c program print out the html.

What you are trying to do here is write and entire server from scratch. This is pointless.

People still use that?

Node.js is great at concurrent, asynchronous requests.

Motivation to do a good job is low because much of the target audience deserves to be doused in gasoline and ignited