Right now, Git is very centralized. You have a few services like GitHub and BitBucket which have almost all projects...

Right now, Git is very centralized. You have a few services like GitHub and BitBucket which have almost all projects. You can set up your own git server, but this takes time and costs money unless you're insane enough to run it on your home connection.

Are there any small git web hosting applications? Something like a single static binary without outbound connections, just run ./gitbinary and then set up a hidden service so you don't need to fuck around with NAT/DNS/DMCA.
I know about gitweb, but you can't send patches to a gitweb instance.

Would it be enough to have a separate script that receives diff files and merge them if a tripcode matches, or are diff files not aware of branches etc?

In other words, what's the smallest program that provides the functionality of github/gitlab?

Can't we at least get to add wikimedia commons links that are then embedded?

Other urls found in this thread:

repo.or.cz/girocco.git
savannah.nongnu.org/
gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html
fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems
github.com/i2p/i2p.i2p-bote
git-scm.com/book/tr/v2/Git-Commands-Email
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is repo.or.cz/girocco.git any good? It looks nice, but it seems to be quite large.

Wat?
>Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
Only thing that you need to setup is ssh and install git. Default settings in most distributions work just fine, so no further configuration is needed. Literary any old PC will be just fine for hosting, i don't see how there would be problems hosting git for yourself.

You don't need web interface to use git use cli it works just fine. And again why are people complicating things with web services when all you need is ssh and you are done.

are you retarded?
savannah.nongnu.org/

I had this idea of a simple script that does three things:

Git already has mail support, so you could integrate it seamlessly. The only part that needs an actual server is the RSS feed, but there are alternatives for that too (eg ipfs)

What are you suggesting here? Should I use their service or their software?

both????????????????????????????

You need to handle authentication if you have multiple people contributing. I get that it's distributed in theory, but in practice it's more convenient to use a git hosting site.

gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

It's still centralized, you're just picking another (arguably good) actor.
Big and complicated to install. Can I easily check the code and make sure it doesn't make outbound connections?

You still need some way to make sure that the public key has commit access and isn't blacklisted. Setting up your own instance of a git web frontend takes time, and just running git over ssh directly isn't scalable.

you sure seem retarded.
please look into how the linux kernel uses git.

I wonder how Linux kernel people managed to solve this problem. They sure do use some nice web interface with all the authentication and facebook logins. I mean what else could they use, after all, 10,000 developers have contributed to Linux kernel. Perhaps you should ask them how things are done.

Over a mailing list, which is not the same thing as over SSH.

Some of us can count higher than "1".

The problem with mailing lists are they they don't respect your privacy since you need to use a provider that requires phone verification unless you want to get stuck in some spam filter. Sending out mail from a tor exit node isn't even possible.

You can choose between multiple centralized providers, but it's still unfeasible to host a smaller project yourself.

fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems
email is fucking cancer

What about running an nntpchan instance and using that instead of a mailing list?

github.com/i2p/i2p.i2p-bote

You could have used a cover image for you thread, tbh.
Now look at the state of it, people are hurting each other's feelings due to your mistake.

All the mail providers where I can register using tor on that site are in the spam filters of most large email providers.

You are now comparing apples to oranges. They do not use git "over a mailing list". Comparing mailing list to ssh is like comparing road to a post office, it doesn't make sense. What they do on mailing lists is discussing development of kernel. Git is not forum, imageboard or social media software. Git is version control system, not web based super hip social media integrated development platform for all the developers to discuss software using emojis (GitHug).

You could develop software on imageboard. Try this: create a thread for your project. People can reply with shitpost or with a patch file. Review the patch and merge it in main branch, commit and push changes using ssh or smoke signals to your server which can be hosted in Mongolia for all I care. If you see that someone is contributing actively give them access to your secret server if you trust them so they can also push changes to main branch. Congratulations, you are now developing software with other people.

Jesus fucking christ, I'm out of this retarded as fuck thread.

They send the patches over mail, either directly to the maintainer or post them on the mailing list directly. How is the second usage not using git "over a mailing list"? You use e-mail as transport for receiving patches.
Developing software over imageboard would be fine, but the way you describe with ssh keys would quickly devolve into a clusterfuck. You can handle access control by running a script that automatically merges everything with tripcode X, Y, or Z. But are there any such scripts?

No, I literally can't use a cover image.

That's not e-mail, it's a messaging system which happens to be compatible with e-mail clients.

That's why you'll never get what you want.

I guess this is a matter of terminology and definitions, but in my view you don't use git "over a mailing list". For me phrase "using git over mailing list" would imply that git is connected to said list and commands could be issued to make git do things e.g. send mail to list to add new files. Yes, sender uses git on local machine to generate patch and sends it to the maintainer, who receives it and uses git again to apply the patch. Notice that during exchange of patch git is not used remotely as saying "using git over a mailing list" implies. But again this is just my interpretation, your second case makes sense if script parses emails and applies patches automatically.

As for access control, won't users need to do other things than just merge? You will just end up implementing same remote access capabilities ssh already has. Most software projects don't have many people working on them so mess with keys wouldn't really be an issue. When developing software one "rule" to remember is: if you think you will need something in the future you won't. Deal with issues when they appear.

Git is just a tool that interfaces with a local repository and changes its state, it spends very little time actually running.
If I understand correctly, no. Given repository A and repository B, you can always produce a patch that transforms one into the other. So all you need to do is merge patches. The only thing different with running it on an imageboard is that some patches get auto-merged. It should be simple to make with such a script with the Holla Forums api.
It's still painful to set up compared to just running a binary file and visiting the IP.

Also,
git-scm.com/book/tr/v2/Git-Commands-Email