Berlin riot: 123 police injured in anti-gentrification protest

Police in Berlin say 123 officers were injured in clashes with leftist protesters over the redevelopment of a district in the east of the city.

About 3,500 protesters marched through Friedrichshain on Saturday. Some were masked and threw missiles, police said.
The protest was the most violent in the past five years, they said.

Tensions have risen since moves began in June to evict squatters in the area. Friedrichshain has undergone rapid gentrification in recent years.

About 1,800 police were deployed at the protest, which began peacefully but escalated into violence. Eighty-six people were arrested, police said.

Squatters are refusing to leave part of a block of flats at 94 Rigaer Strasse. Since June, squads of police have been monitoring the building day and night, with helicopters circling overhead.

Police fired tear gas as shop windows were shattered and police cars damaged.

Many of the neighbours live in housing collectives and sympathise with the squatters, who see themselves as a left-wing alternative to gentrification and rising rents.

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/london/2016/07/05/berlin-nightly-riots-left-wing-extremists/
tagesspiegel.de/berlin/polizei-justiz/polizeieinsatz-in-berlin-friedrichshain-canan-bayram-zu-rigaer-94-zweifel-dass-fluechtlinge-einziehen/13769300.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JXzCuOX0CbU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh shit. Nifty.

123 SMASH THE BOURGEOISE

Fuck yeah.

Every news on cops getting fucked up brightens my day. Thanks user.

1 black guy kills 5 and injures 5 more cops
some punks get into a riot over stupid shit like "gentrification" showing complete lack of capitalism
injuring 123 police

who are you quoting?

poster above me

that post didn't say shit about micah johnson. maybe he wants all cops dead

the other half obviously was directed towards OPs starting threads about their feewings being hurt by Holla Forums not condemning the cop killer

being a german leftist is fucking dumb tbh

what's wrong with being nostalgic ?

oh shit no wonder so many cops were injured

They're rioting because they're being kicked out of a place they've been squatting in for decades, because the owner of the building wants to use it to house refugees.

The irony being most of these cucks have probably been involved in pro-refugee protests.

Enjoy living on the street you faggots.

source?

are you dumb?

What he's saying isn't true.
The building in question has recently been bought up by some South African investor (who used to be an apartheid advocate). The story about making it into a refugee centre is pure bollocks there has been no commitment made to such a thing.

except refugees were already living with the squatters too

his ass

breitbart.com/london/2016/07/05/berlin-nightly-riots-left-wing-extremists/

The future of all Germans.

the owner has no deal with the city to house refugees, this was just a pretense for the (illeggal because without court order) eviction of the ground level of the building. The owner stated to "house refugees for the customary local rent" which is too high and will not be paid by the city to house refugees. Several refugee-organisations have confirmed this (for example Moabit hilft) Source:tagesspiegel.de/berlin/polizei-justiz/polizeieinsatz-in-berlin-friedrichshain-canan-bayram-zu-rigaer-94-zweifel-dass-fluechtlinge-einziehen/13769300.html

Don't you just love it when Neo-Liberal snakes use anti-racism and idpol as a shield against pubic criticism?

I would call it the 'Clinton Method' if the 'Clinton Method' didn't refer to a host of other slimy shit.

We should really be attacking porky directly rather than the pigs though, this is the good shit

youtube.com/watch?v=JXzCuOX0CbU

I can't help but feel… Conflicted with anti-gentrification. Yes, higher rent/mortage prices is bad, but the resulting renovation of older areas and younger people bringing new energy to an area can be good. I feel that the negatives are a result of capitalism and blaming people who just want to live in an area that offers them a lot is unfair.

"gentrification" should be looked at as a side effect of capital creating fictitious capital in the form of an asset bubble

cops are there tp protect porky too

ayy those job creators

Or you know, you can consider all those poor people being displaced and the same thing happening again 10 years from now when their new neighbourhood gets gentrified

most likely the owner wants to get paid to house refugees while the squats already does that
i don't know that but the same shit happens in Greece.

most of the time gentrification happens like this:
capitalists work with the police to bring down the level of entire neighborhoods (police disappears, selling drugs there is almost legalised etc)
the prices of houses fall, people sell their appartments cheaply
some "innovating" business man appears with a plan
suddently "annoying" people are been driven out (anarchist, migrants, drug users) most of the times violently and trendy bars pop up.

I wasn't mad about cops getting blasted I was mad a black nationalist and idpol faggot did it

Nothing tbh. The East got fucked after unification, even now it hasn't fully "recovered". Ostalgie is inevitable when, even though you had a Stasi file and limited consumer goods, at least you got laid more often and had a pension.