Ad company issued DMCA to remove domain from Easylist

>Ad blocking is under attack
>Brief introduction into ad blocking
>Got it, so what happened?
>Why should I care?
>UPD (11 Aug, 8:09GMT): EFF representative offered their help to EasyList maintainers.
>UPD (11 Aug, 11:34GMT): Filters maintainers commented on the situation:

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.adguard.com/en/ad-blocking-is-under-attack/
torrentfreak.com/dmca-used-to-remove-ad-server-url-from-easylist-ad-blocklist-170811/
github.com/SerFRN02/AntiAdmiral-AntiAdblock/raw/master/Filters/adblock_version.txt
getadmiral.com/
archive.fo/3Yb07
archive.fo/0YJct
archive.fo/2017.08.13-144321/https://github.com/easylist/easylist/commit/a4d380ad1a3b33a0fab679a1a8c5a791321622b3#commitcomment-23587399
archive.fo/2017.08.11-152402/https://torrentfreak.com/dmca-used-to-remove-ad-server-url-from-easylist-ad-blocklist-170811/
raw.githubusercontent.com/SerFRN02/BlockAbusive_DMCA/master/admiral_antiadblock/hosts_version.txt
github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/pull/2502#issuecomment-277863986
github.com/paulgb/BarbBlock/issues/4#issuecomment-322018147
raw.githubusercontent.com/SerFRN02/BlockAbusive_DMCA/master/admiral_antiadblock/adblock_version.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

well shit, forgot the link

blog.adguard.com/en/ad-blocking-is-under-attack/

torrentfreak.com/dmca-used-to-remove-ad-server-url-from-easylist-ad-blocklist-170811/

add these to your adblockers

github.com/SerFRN02/AntiAdmiral-AntiAdblock/raw/master/Filters/adblock_version.txt

If everything goes wrong, there will always be an illegal way to circumvent it, so, at individual level there would be no problem.
Now, if you're hoping for some major union of peoples using AdBlockers to destroy the Ad Industry, and if you believe this move could open doors and be successful in destroying AdBlockers (I'm referring to the legal action) then your hopes may very well be crushed, or at least lowered. I'm cheering for the best, for this abomination of legal action to be an isolate case and die there.

If managed illegally, the list quality would be nowhere near what it is now.

The Mother-of-All-Ad-Blocking disagrees with you.

Adblocking was never smart since the lists could easily get compromised. Even if they don't, it's still wasteful - checking every request against a list? And then people complain about their browsers being slow.

The smart person's way is uMatrix, since ads almost always come from third party servers. That is, until the advertisers get smart and start putting ads on the websites themselves.

The problem is that people haven't DDOSed functionalclam.com off the internet forever.
How else will they know they're in the wrong?

Pardon my being a dumbass, do I just pop 'em into Ublock origin's "my filters" like pic related?

Fast as fuck if the list was compiled into a proper fast-lookup structure beforehand (uBlock does this).

You could, but then you won't get any updates. Better paste the URL in the field on the bottom of the "3rd-party filters" tab.

gas the kikes race war now

Do any of you buddies have a botnet at your disposal? Why don't you DDoS the hell out of it?
getadmiral.com/

No thanks, schlomo.

I don't know about that. It can't be faster than just checking whether it's "third party" or "not third party".

>>>/4chan/
>>>/srz/

A proper data structure makes a massive difference.
~> python3 -m timeit -s 'l = list(range(100000))' '50000 in l'100 loops, best of 3: 8.55 msec per loop~> python3 -m timeit -s 's = set(range(100000))' '50000 in s'1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.61 usec per loop~> python3 -m timeit -s 'l = list(range(100000))' '"foo" in l'10 loops, best of 3: 26.2 msec per loop~> python3 -m timeit -s 's = set(range(100000))' '"foo" in s'1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.323 usec per loop

It's absolutely negligible, even with millions of entries to check.

there is a reason they dont do this

(((intellectual property))) strikes again

How is this even possible ?
DMCA refers normally to something that is owned/copyrighted.
But in this case the adfilter list isn't owned by the said DMCA requesters.

More or less they're claiming the website is hosted "as a means of verifying copyright" and therefore by blocking it they are belligerently and knowingly "working around established copyright law/framework" thus violating copyright law. It's an abuse of the legal system is what it is.

At least that's what I came to think based on the wording of the article. I'll go look it up and see if I get better results.

More or less pic related.

in the meantime, why not also report github accounts which are affiliated with that shit (or pretend to)

I though about it but it technically seems ridiculous to assume because if validate by a court that means that firewall rules can also be listed has such.
Meaning that it's illegal to block X malware domain.

which reason?

Being on the right side if the media take this into the news.
The thing is that DDOS is always showed to be the "BAD" guys weapons on the news.
If you want to win you need to look like a poor defenceless creature that is being abused by the bad guys.

It is, and silly courts will likely make an exception for ad URLs while enforcing common sense for Malware, eventually leading to shit like how it's illegal for Intel or Sanmina to counterattack Chinese hackers because it's considered "electronic warfare."

Here's an archive of the page: archive.fo/3Yb07

Another interesting link, polite sage for multi-posting: archive.fo/0YJct

It was not about DDoS. You answered a wrong question…

archive.fo/2017.08.13-144321/https://github.com/easylist/easylist/commit/a4d380ad1a3b33a0fab679a1a8c5a791321622b3#commitcomment-23587399
archive.fo/2017.08.11-152402/https://torrentfreak.com/dmca-used-to-remove-ad-server-url-from-easylist-ad-blocklist-170811/
user please stop posting shortened links.

Clearly users are in the wrong :^)

Anyway I'm manually adding the DMCA removed websites to all my users/pcs.
t.sysadmin

lazy-man's DoS:
Much better than blindly ping flooding, it pathfinds its way around all valid urls and eats up cpu time on the server.

It allows others to see what the original link is, even if the link dies, and it allows Tor users to read the original link or archive it using archive.org, since archive.is apparently has to use kikeflare.

Never.

Why not go after the physical persons behind it?

link 404'd

raw.githubusercontent.com/SerFRN02/BlockAbusive_DMCA/master/admiral_antiadblock/hosts_version.txt

Unfortunately there's way more Admiral domains to block than currently reported

github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/pull/2502#issuecomment-277863986
github.com/paulgb/BarbBlock/issues/4#issuecomment-322018147

Why don't you An Hero yourself instead, you faggot?

how can the internet ever be cured of the ad cancer?

The same way as the real world. Gas. Lots of gas.

Also like some guy there said, LE cert lists. Then you can automate building the domain lists.

Hey, these look a lot like malware C2 domains. What if we'd just send in abuse reports to them?

I have never used a prefab filter list and I dunno why there aren't more people like me. I built up my list from scratch because I like to have complete control over what I do and don't see.

Clearly whitelists are the answer

Two things.
One how would you turn a *bsd pf into a whitelist. Two do these idiots really think they can take down these lists? They will just recirculate by sneakernet.

Alternatively, ignore it altogether since it's a fucking retarded claim and those ad kikes should be gassed.

Why do Holla Forums anons always have to use the most obtuse and complicated solution?

Top idea

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Guess how I know you're a crossboarder

Yes, they are that stupid in their (((leadership))).

And what exactly would they do? There is no DMCA here (nor functioning police), and it's probably not illegal in the US either.

So uh, what exactly is wrong

You can still block the ads manually.

What's wrong here is the typical autistic overreaction over a list. It's nothing, all you have to do is put it back on.

It's DMCA censorship.

Why don't we just dox these faggots? They make their names public and they don't seem to have prior experience, the CEO even runs a blog and seems terribly naive. Creating a reputation of "you're taking a risk working for this company" would decrease their talent supply.

Someone with a copy, please reupload this over IPFS

raw.githubusercontent.com/SerFRN02/BlockAbusive_DMCA/master/admiral_antiadblock/adblock_version.txt

hash tables are O(1)

/ipfs/QmbRh9nzqKvDZZTgJvnmw6uyZWg11Y2ncUxpZMEU2CdPeT

Now someone convert it into host file format because I'm too lazy to thank you very much

It's in the same git

Jews still don't appreciate getting their SSNs posted.