Americans don’t need fast home Internet service, FCC corporate shill suggests

Last year, the FCC updated its analysis with a conclusion that Americans need home and mobile access. Because home Internet connections and smartphones have different capabilities and limitations, Americans should have access to both instead of just one or the other, the FCC concluded under then-Chairman Tom Wheeler.

Paijeet wants change

But with Republican Ajit Paijeet now in charge, the FCC seems poised to change that policy by declaring that mobile broadband with speeds of 10Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream is all one needs. In doing so, the FCC could conclude that broadband is already being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion, and thus the organization would take fewer steps to promote deployment and competition.

This would also be the first time that the FCC has set a broadband speed standard for mobile; at 10Mbps/1Mbps, it would be less than half as fast as the FCC's home broadband speed standard of 25Mbps/3Mbps.

archive.is/2g5gh

Eh he does have a point. If all you do is watch lowish quality youtube vids or browse the internet that's all you need. But if you download videos or movies from jewgle, torrent, play video games, compile, watch high quality videos, and etc then you need more.

On the surface this is ok. But the intent of it is to make a excuse to charge people more for slower speeds.

I feel like this could be another "nobody needs more than 640k of RAM". Sure, most people don't need lots of bandwidth now, but without access to the newest technology, we won't be able to develop new markets that exploit them.

This. It will happen like data caps Comcast is enforcing at higher prices.

100-500kbps is enough speed to browse the Internet.

Why should ISPs have to baby you?
Fuckoff, PAY for your anime.

It's like you totally ignored everything in the thread. You need 1 megabyte down at a minimum to stream high quality anime from crunchyroll or some other site you buy it from.
This pajeet is proposing making two thirds of a megabyte(i.e 10 megabits) the standard for everyone. With traditional fiber/coax lines on the rise for price this is horrible. The standard should be higher for those who want high quality youtube, to compile software, to web dev, and to upload videos and pictures. If you are targeting normies specifically this sucks for them consuming propoganda because it will be slower.

Slow internet speeds is bad for goys and kikes alike.

Websites are too bloated for slow speeds. And fuck you I'll torrent what I want with high-speed.

What if, eventually, all the plebs just use phones, and computer use returns to the glory days of only scientists and basementy-type anons?

Similar.

Well, for one thing it really shouldn't be the ISPs business what I need bandwidth for, their job is self-explaining, they are Internet Service Providers. An ISP should strive to have the absolute best and fastest speeds available because they should want to hold technology to a higher standard, but nah, instead of solving network congestion we're going to arbitrarily limit you unless you pay us! Rinse and repeat!

Why would that be a good thing?

This is the behavior of a company that has no monopoly whatsoever:
We don't need to get better service! :DD

Im retarded, but can someone explain to me, if my home has 10mb/s download speed, and I have two people on two different devices downloading a large file, will the speed get cut 5mb/s each?

Megabytes or megabits? Huge difference you know? Is it over wireless or over a cable? What are you downloading that is sent in chunks that large?

Americans shouldn't have Internet access at all. Go back to AOL's walled garden you fucking niggers. It's where you belong.

They can try to slow me down, but my animus will get torrented in 1080p regardless. No one will stop me from watching cute girls doing cute things.

Yes. You never get the max speed paid for either. So 10mpbs is really 6-7, at night maybe 8-9 since normies are asleep and not leeching the lines.

/thread

When you or the FCC says, "Americans need X Mbps down/Y Mbps up," what is really happening is that the providers are being told, "X/Y minimum or die." This would be fine if it was a strictly controlled monopoly like a utility, but since we still allow competition in this market (which is the direction Chairman Pajeet is taking things), there should be fewer controls on standards. Of course that also means ISPs shouldn't be able to sue people out of the market, so order of operations is important to avoid the consumer getting shafted.

The idiots who pay for Crunchyroll can't watch their legally compliant, dogshit-quality streams on 100 kbps.

Fuck you. You reminded me my ISP went from flat rate pricing to 100GB/250GB/500GB caps citing that "less than 1% of our customers ever go above their cap, so it's ok". Fucking kikes.

Nigger, most sane people download and wait. It's normies that can't stream their (legally paid) content with shit speeds.

All clueless faggots would be contained in their own cancerous toy OS and phones, and computers would be great again instead of having everything bogged down and aimed at borderline-retarded 40-IQ negroids.

found the newfag

He has a point. The web should be throttled. Shit on HTTP ports should go at ~256 kbps MAX. Torrents should be free, though. That way web bloat would stop. Everyone's happy.

?, there is no competition.

There is competition, there's just not enough. I already addressed the regional monopoly issue as a problem. My point is that everyone's yelling at Chairman Pajeet and calling him a corporate stooge for freeing the market, but the problem is not that he's freeing the market; the problem is that he's doing it in the wrong order.
Consumer choice is the number one priority, and from this the market can weed out anti-consumer practices without the intervention of the FCC. You should only attack government regulations (minimum speeds, net neutrality, etc.) once you have a market in which the average person has a choice between multiple terrestrial ISPs.

well baited tbh

No. Low quality vids are less and less of an option (because every video today is made with at least 720p in mind), and it's becoming more and more necessary in college to have a fast Internet connection. Last year, my school gave us a MOOC on innovation to follow, and I almost didn't make it in time just because of my connection. Besides, web pages will get more and more bloated regardless of technological advancement. Whoever claims memory, bandwidth and processing power are not issues anymore is delusional as fuck. Maybe by losing net neutrality, some of you basement dwellers will realize how much of an issue bandwidth really is.

You have a point about weebs being pathetic, but as long as I can get movies for free, in their original language, without 30 minutes of ads and in a better quality than by DVD, I will do it.