Is college a racket?

Are most of the college programs they offer are completely worthless? Is college mostly a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty-salaries.startclass.com/l/5537/Harvard-University
rochester.nydatabases.com/database/state-employee-salaries
glassdoor.com/Salaries/college-professor-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a scam that turns upper-middle class into marxists.

You could learn something from the English program, tbh.

STEM fields are pretty good. Of course the want you to have a (((well rounded education))) so for every science course you take, you have to take a (((philosophy))) and (((political science))) course along with it. Not to mention they make you take hard maths like calculus in order to study soft sciences like ecology, which is pretty gay and irrelevant.

If you need a degree to get a certain position, then you need the degree. As an oldfag, I can tell you that not having a 4 year degree (I only have a 2 year degree) has hurt my ability to maintain employment because I can't teach without it and many companies hiring full time staff require a 4 year degree.

Smart people get the necessary degree in the cheapest way possible. Avoid super fucking expensive colleges. Get first 1 or 2 years of general ed out of the way at a cheap community college. Avoid paying for dorms, school meal plans, school parking, etc.

Go to college while living at home, or if you can't do that, live cheaply, close to the school and even better - close to potential part time jobs, so you don't have to own a car while in school.

Really, the "scam" has more to do with what they charge students and their parents and how they don't educate students about realities in the world of seeking employment and in their impending workplace.

The content of classes is not what’s valuable about college. What is important is it trains you to focus your attention and meet deadlines. Secondarily you meet likeminded people there. You’ll find those connections open a lot of doors after college. Lastly is the actual content of the classes. So if you are able to focus for long hours, meet deadlines, and connect with others in your field then you don’t need college at all. Most people out of HS do not have those skill, so college is there to develop you to that point.

It's a scam op, but you either buy in or eat shit. Soon everybody is going to have a four-year and your massive student debt will barely qualify you to spoon beef extract at taco bell,

Why is there so many feminists and sjws on campuses?

But I'm not only a conservative but an infowarrior and a believer of the electric universe theory. Are you sure I'm going to find like minded people at the thirteenth grade across the street?

Because teachers make shit pay, which makes them liberals and they push their liberal beliefs on impressionable youth.

How much do college teachers make? I thought professors make a lot of money?

Nope, they sure don't. I know college professors and associate professors and I can tell you, just based on where and how they live that they do not make a lot of money.

There may be some superstar teachers that get coaxed out of their respective industries to help draw students, but normal salaries are shit.

How much do they make?

This guy knows what's going on. If money is a consideration just work hard and be frugal to make sure it pays off long-term. Work hard, get good grades, look ahead and get internships and the job prospects will pay for themselves. It goes without saying you need to consider the sort of jobs you can get with your degree.

You have to remember that a lot of the people who get in these threads and start talking about social engineering have clearly never been on a college campus (and are larping if they say they are) and get all their information about colleges from sensationalist conservative media sites. Mostly ones whose target audience wants to make people feel better about being poor and educated.

I think it also depends on the size of the college. Small private colleges pay pretty poorly. Ivy league schools pay decent but considering the qualifications of the people teaching it's still not a lot.

It's almost always public information.
faculty-salaries.startclass.com/l/5537/Harvard-University
rochester.nydatabases.com/database/state-employee-salaries

How is $313,192 USD a bad salary? How much does a small community college instructor pay?

nice try

This seems more reasonable, just shy of 50k
glassdoor.com/Salaries/college-professor-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm

college will teach you many fax

LOL

In terms of helping you get a job? Yes. In terms of your development as a person? Not necessarily. Unfortunately, being a nifty, well-educated person doesn't necessarily pay the bills. It often doesn't.

As someone who works as a college, I'd never admit this in real life, but yeah, mostly.

Here's the deal. Educational standards are lots of small public and private universities and colleges aren't very good. Basically, if nobody outside of a given state (or worse yet local area) has ever heard of a school, it's probably not worth a damn. There's really no point in going to one of those schools.

The very old Ivies are worth attending regardless of what you study there, because of the networking and socialization opportunities. If you're asking these questions, you won't be attending one of these schools, so you can ignore them.

The best way (and in my opinion the only worthwhile way) for plebs like us to attend university is this: attend a large state school with a good reputation, and study something that's going to enable you to get a job when you get out. That's basically accounting, engineering, medicine, nursing, some kinds of science (not all "STEM" bachelor's degrees will help you get a job), and a few other fields. So, attending the University of Iowa to double major in accounting and chemistry? Good. Attending Northeast Bumfuck State U to major in Communication or Art History or Political Science? Pretty fuckin' stupid. I know several people with Master's degrees who are working outside of their field of study and making between $20,000 and $22,000 per year, because they got their degrees in something that can't get them a job (English literature) or they went to a cheap, no-name school in podunk. Or both.

Getting a job is fine, but realize that it is not freedom.

Kiyosaki's a fraud. He wasn't rich before he started his seminars and publishing books about how to get rich. In addition, his company went bankrupt.

Some people have the entrepreneurial drive, intelligence, and resources (starting a business isn't free) to do well and get rich without a college degree or a job. Those one out of every million people probably aren't reading my advice, and if they are, they know it doesn't apply to them. I'm talking to the other 999,999.

Source on wealth before seminars?

Those are memes that are mostly pushed by college students tbh. Hell, infowars stickers used to pop up pretty often around my college.