Microsoft removes 'beta' tag from 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' in Fall Creators Update

By Brian Fagioli

As Windows 10 continues to disappoint some users, Microsoft is increasing its focus on Linux. Whether or not the company will ever take the big step of making its own distribution based on the kernel remains to be seen. With that said, the company has sort of come close -- it has allowed Linux to infiltrate its beloved Windows operating system by way of the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" feature. Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer would probably be rolling in their graves right now -- if they weren't alive, of course.

Today, Microsoft takes its commitment to Linux a bit further. You see, it has announced that "Windows Subsystem for Linux" will be shedding its "beta" designation in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. In fact, the Beta tag has already been removed in Windows 10 Insider Build 16251. In other words, the beta label on the feature has been taken off in a beta version of the operating system. Confused? Welcome to the party, pal!

"We're excited to announce that in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (FCU) due to ship in fall 2017, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) will no longer be a beta feature and will become a fully supported Windows feature. Early adopters on the Windows Insider program will notice that WSL is no longer marked as a beta feature as of Insider build 16251. This will be great news for those who've held-back from employing WSL as a mainline toolset: You'll now be able to leverage WSL as a day-to-day developer toolset, and become ever more productive when building, testing, deploying, and managing your apps and systems on Windows 10," says Richard Turner, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft.

ALSO READ: Microsoft further pledges Linux loyalty by joining Cloud Native Computing Foundation

Turner further explains, "What will change is that you will gain the added advantage of being able to file issues on WSL and its Windows tooling via our normal support mechanisms if you want/need to follow a more formal issue resolution process. You can also provide feedback via Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, which delivers feedback directly to the team. We'll still do our best to remain as responsive as ever to the bugs and issues you post to the WSL issues GitHub repo and we'll remain just as engaged, seeking and responding to your questions, etc., on Twitter and will continue monitor and contribute to discussions and answer questions on forums and sites like Stack Overflow, Ask Ubuntu, Reddit and others."

BetaNoMore

The removal of the beta tag from Windows Subsystem for Linux is largely symbolic, as it should still function exactly as before. With that said, there is a significant impact -- support. Now if a user or company decides to take advantage of the feature, Microsoft can't just wipe its hands and point to it being beta. For that reason alone, hopefully the feature will see some new interest.

Are you more likely to use Windows Subsystem for Linux now that it has exited beta? Please sound off in the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/07/28/microsoft-windows-subsystem-linux-beta-no-mo/

[x] embrace
[ ] extend
[ ] extinguish

FTFY

I was going to post this, more or less.

Don't be fooled by the OS merchant.

I've used this at work
It's the worst terminal emulator I've ever used but otherwise it works

What the actual fuck.

fagioli the winlak, to the gnulag.

Gotta give them credit where its due. It takes quite some skill to make EEE work. If Microsoft was only a team of incompetent fools, such a strategy would never work.
Despite this, it is still in bad intention. EEE only narrows the choices available to the user in the long run.

Sage because this thread gives Microsoft more visibility.

I tried to use it for dropping in shell scripts for a job I did, ended up just rewriting it all in PowerShell. Missing features like plug and play/access to USB mounts. Also with PowerShell I could easily add dialog boxes that didn't scare incompetent faggots. Otherwise the Ubuntu packages themselves were working fine.

GNU*

Linux/XFree86*

People who browse Holla Forums aren't going to start using Windows because Microshills are shilling GNU/kWindows. In this case, I don't think OP is a fag, but I see your point. At this point we should only post about the mass surveilance and other negative things that (((Windows 10))) does and do our best to not defend it by accident.

This. Microsoft know their are becoming an outlier and do what they like best: E, E, and E.

Microsoft is scared that they let virtualization get away from them and they're looking at a future where they aren't the lowest level of the platform. Microsoft has always been a platform company so that's a direct threat to their existence. So, enter desperate and half-assed measures like Windows Subsystem for Linux. I'm sure they have been thinking of ways to break virtio drivers in Windows 11, too.

It's not GNU/kWindows. It's GNU/Windows. kWindows cannot run with GNU alone, it needs Windows OS components.

God says…
biggot how's_the_weather beam_me_up taxes California overflow game_over GarryKasparov snap_out_of_it theres_no_place_like_home I'm_not_sure watch_it_buddy Varoom do_you_want_another theft I'm_tired_of_this unemployment hey_thats_right bad off_the_record ha oh_come_on on_the_otherhand scorning don't_mention_it desert Ivy_league why_didn'_you_tell_me check_this_out jobs Watch_this bummer

It's not GNU/Windows as it's not exposing Windows, it's an emulation layer that userland is not aware of. You wouldn't say Microsoft/KVM.

It's not a terminal emulator whatsoever. If you're using cmd.exe, you're doing it wrong. Go get mintty for WSL, thank me later.

Shills shilling shills shilling shills.

What is dialog?

I can't see how the "extend" step could work with this

The one crucial question that must be framed is : Why is Microsoft paying hard currency for these deals ?

Why would they do that unless there was some other agenda ? I think the answer is clear.

Figures from the BSA and RIAA prove beyond all doubt that piracy and intellectual property theft is growing at an alarming rate. A recent article published by the US internet crime complaint center demonstrates how receipt of its 1 Millionth complaint shows that internet based fraud is both rampant and expanding beyond all reason.

In this environment of lawless anarchy, it is no surprise to find that the Linux is right at home, and growing - in the same way that a wurm grows fat and gluttonous when placed in a dark and damp environment full of refuse and the despondent cast off's of a wealthy society.

I am not alone in my beliefs that even in this dreadful situation, the Linux represents a growing market for the softwares. Microsoft has tried for years to offer their superior office suites and internet products to markets outside of the Vista, with little success.

And yet, this is a difficult exersize. Linux represents the old school, with its mainframe like interface, and arcane secret programming languages. Porting the softwares to this platform involves hiring the hippies who understand this obtuse environment. These people are typically unreliable, and have difficulty living wth the regular 9-5 work ethic. They believe in intellectual property theft, free love, substance abuse, and marxism.

Microsoft has solved these issues in one brilliant sweep by paying cash for access to these Linux secrets, by making these cross patent deals with the linux 'Vendors'. This will allow for the interoperability that the corporations so dearly wish for - the ability to run the Microsoft Office, and the IE7, as well as the Vista on top of this growing but amorphous mass known as 'The Linux'.

In a short time we will all soon see the benefits of these cross licencing deals, and the softwares will expand out their user bases and be seen everywhere. Even the most die hard linux afficionado with matted hair and a red armband will salivate at the prospect of being able to run the IE7 on his precious linux.

fuck off

You mean a enviroment kikes don't control. It is not anarchy more like a dictatorship with linus at the top for better or worse.
There are no secrets unless you use blobs. Go read a manpage faggot.
You mean C. The same language used to code windows subsystems faggot.
Are you retarded that's a fucking botnet only a stupid as fuck normie would run it instead of firefox or chrome. Even if they are botnets now they are less so then IE or edge.
Go fuck yourself with gas.

No such thing. They're going to make Windows 10 into a service with a constant rolling release operating system with forced updates and constant UI changes. They'll eventually rename it to just Windows.

If you can't recognize humor why are you here?

You sure they won't call it "window" since it's the only one OS people want to use?
Like the Xbox one with the intention of people calling it "the one"
except people will call it "win-do'h" or "windon't"

Invest shit tons of developers on x free software to the point of overmanpowering the community.
Aka what happened to Chromium.