Is it harmful to use my laptop while it's charging? Games eat up my battery fast...

Is it harmful to use my laptop while it's charging? Games eat up my battery fast, and I'd like to keep playing them for more than a half hour or so.

Only if you use it on your lap and don't mind making yourself temporarily infertile

So my battery won't suffer?

Nope. If you're that concerned about battery life, it's better to rely on it for as little as you can - Wearing it down to nothing before charging is far worse for battery life then charging it up halfway.

"I've only let it drop below 20% once (by accedint,, I might add). It's brand new.

And thanks.
Once again, Holla Forums is the most helpful board.

The batteries in your laptop (if it's post-2005) are smart, they stop charging after your battery reaches 100%.

So they're more like a UPS then a traditional battery system. Neat stuff.

yes, make sure yuo only paly games at 20% battery. its safe to plug it in under 20% and then you unplug again once it gets back up to 20

your wrong m8. read my PM on IRC

What?

This is bullshit, every laptop I had (from a early 2000s Toughbook to a Toshiba from 1995) automatically stopped charging at 100%

It's not. I could say that every laptop post 2015 has this feature and it will be true.

don't use a laptop at all unless you're looking to sterilise yourself

TIL laptops output vaporized hydrogen peroxide. good thing I bought a macbook instead

Nope. Might even be beneficial if the power supply can't supply enough power and your laptop ends up charging slower.
If you really worry about battery life be mindful of it's temperature and don't buy shittily designed laptops that have it in spots that tend to get hot.

During the recent samsung (?) burning phones episode it was revealed that to get the maximum recharge cycles out of a lion battery, you should run it down to 20% and then recharge it to only 80%. The patch for the phones would only recharge them to 80%, as this was much less stressful overall on the battery.

Also overcharging,,,, I've only ever seen that with very cheap ni-cd rechargers... that some things still use.
I have a cheap beard trimmer that says "you must leave it connected for at least 6 hours to recharge significantly, but don't leave it connected to the recharger for more than 12 hours".

A lot of ni-cd rechargers I've had through the years were like that--annoyingly imprecise.
"leave it charging for like, a while,,,, but not too long,,, because that might be bad"
I know something of electronics but never looked into why they can't shut off automatically and have a LED to tell you it's done.

Li-ion batteries don't like staying at 100% or 0% charge for extended periods of time, and if voltage drops low enough, the safety circuit will power off and your battery will refuse to charge. There's a way to reverse this, but the battery might short if it's been too long.
Non-shit laptop chargers will not supply current unless the battery has under 90% charge.

What a shit thread. Kill yourself OP and fuck off to cuckchan.

And I will kill myself for fucking up my sage

You're doing it wrong.

I have had 3 HP laptops so far and all batteries failed in a few years. The battery should be taken out if you are on not on charge but still hooked up to electricity or you just buy a non shitty laptop that is not from HP

Your computer runs directly off of AC while its charging. Its not depleting and charging the battery at the same time.

5RuHL5LQnT9G Z7zbnJJcBKZx