I'm investigating ways to make my own wifi antenna for the purpose of broadcasting a wifi signal from a Piratebox

I'm investigating ways to make my own wifi antenna for the purpose of broadcasting a wifi signal from a Piratebox.
Current plan:
rate my plan
Where can I learn more about how this shit works?
I'm buying as little as possible because the idea is to make as much as I can myself, hardware hacker style. Trash computing and samizdata will defeat the botnet.

Other urls found in this thread:

ham.stackexchange.com/questions/3577/how-to-design-a-rubber-ducky-antenna
electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/116181/how-does-square-metal-plate-antenna-work
youtube.com/watch?v=6odNBrwRM1k
youtu.be/89mSMahm-3w
ronja.twibright.com/
jacobsalmela.com/2013/09/07/wi-fi-cantenna-2-4ghz-how-to-make-a-long-range-wi-fi-antenna/
westmountainradio.com/antenna_calculator.php
ronja.twibright.com/security.php
ronja.twibright.com/inferno/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your doing it wrong. There is a specific forumula for the appropriate length of an antenna jewgle it. Start jewgling how ham radio's work to learn more faggot.

www.brest-wireless.net/wiki/materiel/biquad

It has to fit inside of a box like pic related. I've been jewgling but the terms are hard to get right
I plan to put one inside an empty sprinkler timer box

do you get bad grades at school?

Also depends on the frequency you are operating at 5GhZ band / 2GhZ band. Nevertheless, different designs are possible depending on your use-cases (directed / non-directed).

For a rubber ducky antenna (the thing you see on WiFi routers): ham.stackexchange.com/questions/3577/how-to-design-a-rubber-ducky-antenna

Or Google for dipole antenna calculator if you want to make a dipole antenna. Note that for 2/5GhZ band, these antenna's will be relatively small. So for this applications they might not be the best option. Maybe for your application a square plate antenna might be more useful (it will also fit inside your box). You can Jewgle for calculators for this stuff as well electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/116181/how-does-square-metal-plate-antenna-work

use ukrainian warzone method
youtube.com/watch?v=6odNBrwRM1k

I went with a biquad antenna.
Prototype 1 used a miniPCIE laptop card. Didn't wanna burn out anything I cared about.
Speedtest.net showed slight downgrade of download and slight improvement to upload. Results varied with direction of antenna.
Prototype 2, the Edihax. Speedtest is the same. I finally think to test range of an ad-hoc network broadcast from a laptop. Laptop goes to sleep when I'm about half a mile away, without any signal weakening in the meantime. Full bars.
This'll work just fine, /g/ents. You've contributed to data freedom tonight.

Yours is a double bi-quad, by the way.
youtu.be/89mSMahm-3w

Now try to see if you get any signal from the sides
Protip you won't

The raspberry pi doesn't shoot nearly as much juice as the laptop, so the range is shit. I'm gonna have to boost the voltage. Time to rip up some charger blocks.

Consider free space optics instead, such as ronja.twibright.com/

I won't have LOS for this, but bookmarked.

Update: The Edimax burnt out. Destroyed. RIP. I need to get my hands on a wifi dongle that can handle having a big ass antenna attached.
Is this just the result of chinky hardware or is it going to be a real problem?

Buy some better chinky dongle.
What use case? Why don't you have LoS?

For wireless communication there is the Cantenna.

Mildly related I've heard on occasion of madmen using light instead of wifi in line of sight cases (think high rise apartment block to rest of town) with high speed and low error data transfer. Drop the optics into infrared for more stealth from certain types of eyes.

Here's a nice directional Wifi cantenna you can work on before you realize you'll need an amplifier to transmit outside of your backyard.

jacobsalmela.com/2013/09/07/wi-fi-cantenna-2-4ghz-how-to-make-a-long-range-wi-fi-antenna/

Dipoles are the easiest way to get the point across. Type in 2400 and learn something.

westmountainradio.com/antenna_calculator.php

You need to break the beam to see it, it's not very visible from the side. There is an IR version.
ronja.twibright.com/security.php
ronja.twibright.com/inferno/

Depends on what you want to do. For long range the receiver can probably build their own hardware too, but for short range you want normies to be able to receive with their devices.

MTM attack for Ronja optical systems would now would come from drones.

Also, piratebox is a giant fucking meme.
over $50, desirable to steal, needs maintenance, needs expensive parts from overseas
less than $10, not desirable to and almost impossible to steal, requires no maintenance whatsoever besides putting up new ones, very basic concept so anyone can figure out how to make a new one with stuff they have at home

People might vandalize it, but they'd need a hammer for it. It might be possible to hack something together with RFID/other passive wireless technology so it's hidden inside the wall, but that could get complicated real fast.

And flying a drone around trying to catch beams wouldn't look suspicious at all? It's a trivial fix, just put up a security camera and block tx if there's something moving in the way. You could also encrypt the signal, but it would be quite apparent if there was a drone hovering in mid air for multiple days.

Piratebox
There's a reason it's $50 and not $10.
Besides, once the concrete sets on the $10 USB it's a permanent fixture that anyone can modify or monitor

kek. Add in a jammer (there would be sufficient power available) and the drone would have a hard time calling home unless configured for automated operations.

In this case, the normies are squirrels and birds in your back yard. You might get a few more if you're in a multi story apartment. It will be little mystery who the pirate is, so you might want to limit what material you have on your adhoc network.

a hunting rifle is cheaper

..and fun

wrong, nigger, see

read the OP, it's a piratebox
also stop shilling ronja

There are a variety of cherry picked conditions which could increase the receiving range one of which was already discussed in this thread. It still wont change the fact that the majority of people wont be able to connect to you.