Is the "Modern Age" over?

Is the "Modern Age" over?

I think if it's not now, it will be once marvel hits rock bottom and has to Rebirth themselves.

Especially when people get sivk of the movies.

Rebirth of fun campy days when?

I think DCU Rebirth is exactly what we should have. Everything is played straight, and is exactly the way it should be.

I'd like something like that for marvel, too.

They already played things straight. That's not the solution here. The solution is hiring writers who know what they're doing and want to write powerful fun stories of heroes being heroes. Let's face it, the Marvel and DC heroes are mostly campy characters that'd stayed around for far too long. Becoming something they're not over the years. We need to go back to the roots and regrow from there.

The problem is that there's no real incentive for such talent to get into the mainstream comics business.

The pay is shit, the conditions are terrible, and your employer's looking for any reason to fuck you over.

Yes and that will need to be changed first.

Did you miss the part where Rebirth was selling out all over the place for the first few weeks? Superman and Batman Annual did too, and Justice League vs Suicide Squad is also crazy popular.

That's literally what they're doing. Read the fucking comics, m8.

I personally think they should just hire from Image.

I think you don't understand what playing it straight is.

I have read some of them. Most of them are just okay while the rest are crap. It's still an improvement though.

Dont forget the power rangers crossover

I think you're the one who doesn't understand what playing it straight means here, m8.

In every one except for like, hellblazer or maybe batgirl they're not trying to dance around it at all, they want to tell superhero stories and that's what they're doing. There's no forced edginess like in the new 52. They accept old canon and HEAVILY reference it without retconning things. If that's not playing superheroes straight then I don't know what is.

If you think that "playing it straight" and "camp" means LOL MEMES like return of the caped crusaders, I'm sorry to tell you that's never going to happen. Nobody wants that, and it gets old really fast.

They retcon shit out the ass for Rebirth. Return of the Caped Crusaders had nothing to do with memes or other cancerous shit. Simply put it's called 'fun'. A good superhero story should have a mix of playing it straight and having fun when it's appropriate. Serious shit all the time is dull and depressing. People want fun, excitement, heart, and passion. Rebirth has sprinkles of fun and passion but it's just barely getting there with 2 or 3 books. Rebirth is not what you look to for an example of heroes done right. The closest thing to that in western media is The Incredibles.

What would be the incentive? Mainstream publishers would have to offer something better than the services Image provides.

Image gives creators full creative control, full ownership, and a huge slice of the profits. I strongly doubt the big publishers' parent companies are going to want any of that shit.

If anything rebirth isn't serious enough, with the exception of deathstroke.

Is there something I'm missing about rebirth? It's been pretty great so far.

The incentive would be getting to use characters owned by the big two, and they'd be "on the map" in terms of resume.

When you're working for marvel or dc, I don't think they should necessarily get full creative control because it leads to things like the new 52, with personalities being butchered left and right. I do think they should be paid way more though.

The allure of a steady paycheck can be pretty tempting for those looking to actually make a living and cover any unforeseen expenses. Creative control and ownership don't pay the bills or feed you.

After the shops, Diamond, and Image gets their cut of course.

All the Bat stuff is crap. Superdad stuff is good. Flash is good. Justice League stuff is meh. Most everything else is meh. Then you have very few books that still have the stain of SJW on them like the recent Ray one. All in all Rebirth is okay. It's a step in the right direction but it's still a messy. Really it should've just been a new reboot instead of making a decent retooling of a shit mess like New 52.

I mostly like the Rebirth Suicide Squad and Deathstroke. Though Deathstroke gets kinda meh by doing family drama AGAIN. I love Priest but I wish we could have a Deathstroke comic just about him and his merc business. Each time Rose or Jericho are brought in I wanna drop the damn thing.

I'd like a Deathstroke comic like Edmondson's 2014 run of the Punisher. Focusing on guns, criminal plots and how a non-super powered person fairs against powered enemies. Though we did kinda get that when Deathstroke went against Superman in it.

The weakest part about Priest's Deathstroke run is that you have to read the issue at least twice to wrap your head around everything. It's all told is such a non-direct confusing way. That gets kinda annoying honestly. Still a good read if you're into that though.

Pretty typical of Priest. His Black Panther run is similar, it's very … strange. But it's also very, very good.

You've defeated your argument. See, your basic argument is that artists/writers should work for exposure, which any artist/writer worth their salt knows is a load of bunk. So DC and Marvel get the dregs that fall for that shit and are willing to endure the horrors of DC/Marvel editorial for peanuts. Thus, there's no incentive for DC or Marvel to pay more when they know some dumb fanboy will give their left testicle to work on Batman.

Working for the Big Two doesn't work that way.

Artists, for example, are paid by the page. In the event the script is late (which is common when you have editorial mucking about with everything), those artists take a huge pay cut. Suddenly, instead of getting paid for 25 pages, it's down to 10 or less because the script was late and the company had to hire another artist to make sure the fucking thing got in on time. Also, since with DC they'd be under an exclusive contract, they can't shore up the lost revenue with other work, so they're basically stuck taking the loss.

Of course, that is if they're working for DC. Marvel, on the other hand, will always find work for artists, guaranteeing a certain number of pages a year. The only problem is that some of the work they'd do for Marvel, like covers and such, won't be counted as pages, leaving the contract unfulfilled at the end of the year. This forces the artist to once again sign up for another stint at Marvel and process starts all over again.

Basically, the only real positive to working for either DC or Marvel is getting health insurance. Other than that, you're better off working at Wal-Mart.

I don't think they should work for exposure, that's fucking stupid. They should do the job because they're going to tell a good story. If they're not, then Marvel and DC would be better off hiring someone more qualified. If they do a shit job they should get the axe.

Exposure should essentially be extra, and page rates need to die.

True. Though I read a bit of his Black Panther run before. It's a bit more straightforward. The comedic element definitely makes it a more enjoyable read.

Why do they need to go to DC or Marvel to achieve this when they do it on their own and reap all of the reward?

Because Marvel and DC own those characters. They should hire people that'll do good work rather than exploiting writers. Image was founded essentially because of how badly the big 2 treated writers.

I'm confused about you're point. You're saying that people should work for Marvel and DC because of the characters they own, and what can be done with them; but then you go off and name Image as an example of a company where the creators went off and made their own comics and characters, and did financially well.

So, what is the point you're making?

I actually like the Superman, and Nightwing stuff.

Superman's good. Nightwing stuff is crap.

I like it, especially the stuff that overlaps with Batman.

Batman and Nightwing have always gone well together.

They should stop killing guys only to bring them back or "pass on the cape", it's already a fucking meme

I wish the big two characters were treated like actual characters rather than products they can just keep pushing over and over and over again. I want actual progression. An actual permanent beginning and end for a character. Not something super crazy like real time aging but at least have characters age and eventually die one way or another for good. As far as passing on the mantle goes, it's not a bad idea but it's never done well anymore. If you pass on the mantle then it has to be to a worthy successor and someone who has their own identity beyond the name. Someone who doesn't use it was pedestal to feel better than everyone else and actual respects the legacy they now represent. Is that so hard?!

I just got a really cool idea where early on in a character's career, they do choose who will succeed them in the event of an unfortunate demise. Years pass by and said hero finally bites the bullet. However, by that time, said hero dies, he's surrounded by numerous friends and colleges, with one of them thinking the official mantle will fall to them. But, nope, said died hero never changed the will and now this outsidered is sent to take his place, and…

I just described some of the plot to the Green Lantern film, didn't I?

Nightwing is good. Tim Seeley picks up where he left off at Grayson, thankfully with less SJW banter.
Batman Beyond, I like it because of all the heavy references it has to the TV show. But I can see how it doesn't win over anyone who didn't watch the cartoon.
I keep hearing that Detective is really good to read. I may have to judge it for myself.

Batgirl, and the BoP book, eh haven't read them, so I wouldn't know how good or bad is it.

Hellblazer is the shit, though.

Then start buying alternative comics.

Rebirth is still majority shit lad. A few gems don't save the mountain of turds.

You forgot ultimate evil of the universe trapped on the moon behind some easily breakable shields.

Nightwing has SJW banter and elements in it though. I can't stand that.
Batman Beyond stuff isn't even connected to the cartoon so I see no point for why normies couldn't get into it. I still don't like it though. No connection to the cartoon and just kinda depressing really.
Detective is basically just another version of Arkham Knight but with a different cast.

Batgirl and BoP is utter trash.

Hellblazer is without a doubt horrible as well.

Tried Mignola's stuff for a while. Got bored. I just read the IDW TMNT stuff and manga instead.

How is it, i heard good things.

It's pretty good. A good mix of dark, comedic, and heartfelt. The only bad part about it was one small mini-series that focused solely on Casey and April. Wasn't bad in concept but was just poorly written and boring. Other than that the series is amazingly good fun. One thing you may find jarring is the constantly changing artists though.

Or you could just, you know, do what Marvel's doing with all of its main cast and give the mantle to a woman and/or minority who then proceeds to shit on all of it with their "white males are evil" crap.

Haven't read much of Rebirth, but I'll happily look at it before any of the current filth Marvel is shitting out.

fuck off leddit

he is a SJW