RMS isn't getting any younger and, while there are more people than ever backing the philosophies of free software...

RMS isn't getting any younger and, while there are more people than ever backing the philosophies of free software, we kind of need a figurehead in the all-out libre space. This isn't to say that Linus, Theo, or any of the other open source figureheads aren't going to continue in their domains, but their philosophies aren't near what RMS brings us. We're going to need another Stallman sooner than later.

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/170874-the-secret-second-operating-system-that-could-make-every-mobile-phone-insecure
reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We can start by using the term 'libre' more often. The reason, I think it was Stallman, given for why it's not used more often is that it confuses pajeets.

People don't even know that free software isn't about the price though. Where will we find someone who is as dedicated as Stallman? Someone who can devote his entire life for a cause.

RMS wandered off to solve world problems like 20 years ago, he's been absent in the Free Software space longer than you've likely been alive. You're not in urgent need for a replacement.

I actually sent an e-mail to RMS last year asking about such a heir, but he said he hadn't anybody in mind (though that might have just been a standard neutral response to an unknown person like me).
The problem, I think, is that Stallman is the product of an era that is most definitely dead, and has been for at least 25 years: the era of university mainframes.
Back when RMS joined the MIT, in the early 70s, everyone would just share the same computer, and the few PCs that existed were pretty much just a technological curiosity that had nowhere near the flexibility they would eventually acquire in the late 80's.
Stallman pretty much became a man in that environment, where computing was a shared activity, not to mention the effects of the hippie movement/Vietnam war opposition that were, back in the day, what being a leftist in college meant.
It (slightly) before the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs of the world started poisoning tech with their bullshit, in a time in which studying anything related to computation meant you were actually passionate about what you did. No JS coders, no Android apps, no "office suites" in 1973.
Stallman and the FSF are a product of the transformation that happened in the early 80's in the computing field, which I think traumatized the hackers of the day. They had gone from almost total freedom to the proprietary hell that we know today, and they sought to fight against it, but with a passion only people like them could ever have.
Most of us on this board and in other Free Software-friendly communities are younger than the FSF itself, and almost none of us has known the time when you would submit your FORTRAN punched cards to the mainframe operator at university.
Even if we fight, we're fighting for something that we have never known, and I think that is where the difficulty of our movement lies. I don't think we will ever be able to reach the level of passion RMS and the other early FSF wizards have.
Hell, how many of use can say we don't use ANY piece of proprietary software? We were pretty much born into using Windows, grew up being taught that mobile/smart phones were cool, and molded by the peer pressure of using social networks the names of which I do not need to mention.
I wish we could save computing, but I see myself forced to be realist: it's next to impossible.

Just to support my earlier argument, I'll say we should take a look at what the fundamental difference between Linus and RMS is. Both are autistic fucks (like most of us), but Linus went to uni in the late 80's/early90's, when the shift in tech culture had already happened, when PCs were pretty much already the standard form of computing and proprietary licenses were the default. Linus never knew the early 70's, he wasn't one of those people who discovered computing through the use of enormous IBM mainframes. And as such, he has never been to take the defense of Free Software to the same level as Stallman, and the fact that Linux is licensed under the GPL license is almost a miracle. Had Linus been born in 1950, I'm sure he would be a fervent defendant of GPLv3.

Except what you say is factually wrong???????? RMS is still very much active in his defense of Free Software, he just doesn't contribute any more to GNU. He still gives lots of speeches everywhere, tirelessly.

the next figurehead is going to be someone absolutely horrible like matthew garret or leah tranny or """"coraline"""" """"ada"""". free software is not going to be a positive thing in 10 years.

GNOME is already shilling for mass immigration/white genocide. Systemd shoved down every distros throat. It's over.

(checked)
I don't know what the free software movement will become after RMS dies. IF the world doesn't completely ignore any kind of free software, then it will probably be a world ruled by {{{Open Source}}} and non-GPL compatible licenses.

Literally, the Botnet is winning the war on freedom.

Say no more

We don't need a central figure in this movment. Statism is not the solution. The flaws of having a central figure is that retards such as the general public will do a hasty generalization fallacy and assume the entire movement is just some guy biting a scab off of his foot.

What ruined GNU is open source and the retarded idea to call 'Linux' the entire OS.
GNU has a political goal: to create an OS that fully respects the user. It is a political tool with a political goal; yet most people only know it as 'Linux', a sever product made by The Linux Foundation (plus, those interested in giving money to developers will throw it at Thre Linux Foundation instead of the FSF).
Most people don't care about binary blobs (even in this board some users opposed to the idea of CloverOS using Linux-Libre) or proprietary programs (Photoshop, Steam, Chrome, etc.); because they don't care about the goal of GNU, just care enough to install an open source OS. (I say 'move to BSD' to those users, but I digress.)
Stallman? He's just a relic ranting about nonsense for most people. In the Internet he's sort of a joke. Very few people take him seriously.
I don't think the FSF needs a new Stallman. I think we need to start calling the OS by it's name: GNU, and promoting free software every time that we can. You know, what Stallman has been telling us to do since the 90s.

Except it isn't you faggot????????? He stopped coding around the time of the lucid emacs fiasco. I used to work with the guys responsible for xemacs and he was fully out of the picture at that time. He wandered off to talk about random liberal social causes with the streetshitters and you've likely only known him as guy-who-occasionally-answers-emails rather than guy-who-autistically-rejects-every-patch. When his various save the worldings didn't go anywhere he retired on giving retrospective speeches about GNU in the west.

A dumb idea. Only results matter. Say the time spent on making wine "the official way" would be spent on reverse engineering it and using the leaked source code. You'd be running a complete windows clone by now.
Take the time spent on all copyright activism - a whole lot. Now spend it on some quick development. What could you do? Sci-hub is very simple technologically, hacked together in PHP, and very cheap to run. Imagine if even a fraction of the time was spent on these kinds of projects. The problems wouldn't exist anymore.

One can never be truly free if one admires others too much, I know.

Then you would have 99% of "wine" users only using it because it's gratis. The thing is that the actual situation is pretty good; wanting people who must have freedom forced down their asshole to even begin to want it in the free software community was always retarded.

tl;dr rms is wrong, retards don't deserve freedom. They don't care about anything that isn't pleasure anyway.

And? You'd still have freedom, the fact that the user isn't enjoying it is 100% irrelevant.

Free software doesn't need a figurehead. All we need is to really understand our position in free software and our position about freedom in general. When we have a firm understanding of these, it isn't difficult to lecture people about the ideals of free software and why a free society deserves free software. The consequence of this knowledge means that I can easily teach people why I refuse to participate in the world of proprietary software and other technological misfeatures.

Stallman is still active in the free software space because he's still reciting the same old lectures about free software. He's been doing this for at least 30 years.

The free software movement is what us participants make of it. Stallman isn't the coordinator of the free software movement, we don't need to rely on Stallman to organize the movement. Stallman's role is to be a preacher, to preach to anybody about why freedom is important in our computing.

Daily reminder that Stallman approves of systemd on the basis that it's licensed under GPL3.

I agree with this

You're both wrong. It is important that users understand about freedom because otherwise they won't demand their rights and the system will end like Android: an "open source" system that is almost 100 % proprietary.
Developers also must understand about freedom so they contribute and/or make free software.
Otherwise people will just use your software because it's offered at no cost/they can reuse the code. Eventually the difference between free and non-free software stops being about freedom, then the entire thing falls apart.
If you feel like this is a wrong way to do things, that the ethics or the freedom in software is not important; then please move to BSD or Android. GNU has a political goal, while those other platforms don't.

He didn't. He said he doesn't have any strong opinions on it (most likely because he doesn't care about the init system as long as it can boot his PC), but because it's under GPL3 it must be all right.
Now this is the important part: the GPL remark. He has said over and over again that free software isn't necessarily good (in an ethical or practical sense) and that it may be used for nefarious goals, HOWEVER, as long as it is free as in freedom it is OK since users are in a position to fight and remove the malicious parts.
He never endorsed systemd.

I won't even check a namefag like you.

newfag detected
Daddy Stallman replies to literally
every single e-mail he gets
lurk more.

While I understand the autism behind your way of thinking, this is simply not feasable, if you think the devs of Wine/ReactOS didn't think of what you did, then you're pretty stubid tbhfam. The issue is, if they did directly look at Windows code then write their own implementation they'd all be sent to jail and fined 6 trillion shekels each, a company like Microcuck has the funds to hunt them down with ferocity a small community like the Libre community cannot handle. Eventually, the one or two (most probably extremely buggy) versions that actually used Windows code would migrate to the torrent-space, but good luck getting bugfixes since everyone who tries to fix shit will get shoahed.

Stallman explicitly says that systemd is ethical as a consequence of its distribution licensing i.e. systemd is free software and it is ethical. I choose to interpret this as approval of systemd.

Android is open, it's just horribly coded and poorly documented. Also, there are device driver blobs. The reverse engineering of device drives would be much easier if there would be a coordinated movement to do so without giving a shit about legal issues (i.e. run some git host as a hidden service)

Yes, it is 'basically' ethical because it can be modified and studied. He didn't say he likes or cares about it because he's never used it.
The last part was just a clarification about his position in UNIX philosophy because the user asked him many times in the email about it, not because he thinks it's good that systemd doesn't follow it.

That depends on how they do it. You have tons of people running drug markets on the darknets, but they have good opsec so they're rarely caught. Does Microsoft really have more resources than the FBI? Especially considering the fact that you could switch identities every week/day/month, something the DNM operators don't have the luxury of.

It's ethical, not good.

Why doesn't someone code a systemd -> sane init system and other system parts shim? Emulate the systemd apis then forward it to the proper service (i.e. systemd timers -> cron)

Android OEMs run proprietary drivers in userspace to avoid having to release the source as the GPL requires them to (why would they do this is beyond me, considering you can't take driver's source code and copy it for another device unless it's extremely similar, and the SoC architecture cannot be copied by anyone unless they have very specific equipment and even then it would be easily proved, which is why Intel, AMD and Nvidia contribute directly to Linux; but whatever.)
Android needs proprietary libs to be built. Google has made an amazing job at replacing open source components (like WebView) by proprietary ones and/or requiring Google Servcies to work properly.
This is why Replicant is stuck at Lollipop while Lineage is already in Nougat: because Android itself is a Frankenstein of proprietary blobs and replacing them all is very difficult.
Just removing Google Services and adding free drivers is not enough to make Android really free.
The new Fuchsia OS is going to be even worse in that regard.

I've been advocating this for a very long time. I personally do not care for systemd, I'm using right now as a matter of fact; however, I have never touched it beyond writing a service unit file for my software.

I want to advocate for people to make some sort of translation system that takes systemd configuration files and translates systemd semantics into whatever alternative one desires to have.

Except the heroes who will be raping Microcuck's behind won't have the financial incentive to live the life of fear the drug dealers choose to live.
Human error will catch up eventually. Murphy's law.
Of course not. However, does Microsoft have more resources to dedicate to a single case than the FBI? The answer would most probably be yes, and not only that, Microsoft can most probably get 3 letter organizations involved in its hunt as well, a big corporation like Microsoft that makes software so many Govt agencies depend on will for sure be very highly protected and sustained by them.
Eventually they'll track you through something like typing style, a big budget (like one that will be involved) will make that a non-issue. Let's not forget the NSA's 6 quadrillion backdoors that are ready to use in a SHTF situation

He will rise from the hardware community.

no, that's simply not true.

What

We're talking about embedded hardware vendors, many of them Chinese. Short of a blanket import ban on Chinese electronics you're not going to force them to abide by the GPL.

Ross William Ulbricht did it for political reasons. Satoshi too.
Satoshi has managed to stay anonymous. If there's nothing to track besides the code and commit notes, you're fine. Human error will catch up, but will it do it during the project's lifetime or after 20 years when the statute of limitations has expired?
Not given. Microsoft doesn't really care about piracy.
They can't devote however much resources they feel like just because Microsoft tells them to. And copyright infringement on that scale isn't a very severe crime.
This is only possible if there's a persistent identity. At any rate, there's software to prevent semantic analysis, and also crude methods (i.e. stringing verbs nouns and adjectives together in a barely readable random order)
Look at Satoshi again. He's managed to foil semantic analysis.
Not given. That's not a problem solved by "throw money at the problem"
NSA wouldn't waste backdoors on something so trivial. And besides, there are other solutions. For example, what if someone living in the PRC steps up as lead maintainer? They can't do jack shit to him, other people can anonymously send him gpg encrypted patches via some onion post form. Look at freenet and their forums for examples of decentralized trust.

Since they're Chinese, I sincerely doubt they'll care about copyright. Just reverse engineer it, it's not like they'll DMCA you.

That's piracy of the complete, regular OS. They don't care about the 1% that steals it since they're spreading and enriching their ecosystem anyways, however an open source Windows clone that works just as good (let's be honest, it'll be much better if it does happen) and provides complete support for their ecosystem is a very serious threat to their platform as a whole, as, if they do not immediately and radically prosecute it and its creators, eventually, after many years, it'll become legally acceptable and that's the worst thing that could happen to Microcuck
10 years ago free speech also wasn't such a severe crime as it is today, the definition of "crime" can freely shift to whatever they want to prosecute at the moment
All problems can be solved by throwing money at them, user.
Point is, finding someone who will not accept finanical incentives who is willing to risk his eventual premature demise just so he can screw Microsoft over for political ideological reasons isn't easy, and one will not be enough, since they'll for sure attack anyone who contributes as well
However, if the Windows source code is indeed released into the public, Microsoft will probably have much bigger things to worry about (like every OS they released in the last 12 years having 1-button hacking tools) and once most banks and Govt insitutions get hacked one after another, I doubt they'd be willing to pitch much support for Microsoft afterwards.
No Govt agency or big corp is looking for him though?

His identity might well be known to various government agencies, we have no idea if he managed to maintain his anonymity.

cmon now, all it takes is enough money and anyone the govt doesn't care about disappears

The majority of the money they get is from businesses, they wouldn't switch over.
Not freely. The social attitudes towards free speech have also changed.
Two and two makes four, no amount of dollars will change that.
But they're not a snowden-tier cybercriminals. They're developers of a project, but each piece of it is unimportant by itself.
But the contributors can be secret very easily.
The people who approve the commits can also be secret. They can be much less active, since they're just a human spam filter, so they don't need to have any identity.
You could even decentralize the "approving commits" part via a web of trust as done in freenet.
It would be reverse engineered, not published. Reverse engineering isn't a magical process.
I think he pissed of (((them))) quite a bit.

You're overestimating the governments here. The people who ran The Pirate Bay did so for 5 years completely non-anonymously. They then got sentences of 1 year each. This is then reduced to 8 months (SWEDEN YES). They also managed to dodge it for quite a long time, Peter Sunde was even running for office in Finland without making any attempt at hiding.

True. But one thinks they'd want to make an example of him.

It's not that bad.

There are Chinese manufacturers and you can run/make your own with the right microcontrollers.

good article on the baseband processor you're speaking of:
extremetech.com/computing/170874-the-secret-second-operating-system-that-could-make-every-mobile-phone-insecure

They can't comply with the GPL when their product is illegal to begin with. Every ARM GPU maker is knowingly violating patents of others. Hiding the source is done in an attempt to gain plausible deniability.

The governments would never do that, they even went out of their way to plant fake evidence on Assange, they would never publicly admit executing/torturing people. Also, most people haven't even heard of bitcoin, and there are even less that have heard of satoshi.

true
By manipulating opinions through the (((media))), something they can always do.
Unless you bribe all the leading mathematicians to say otherwise, force all educational insitituions to say otherwise, and completely indoctrinate the upcoming generation that 2 + 2 = 5, just like 6 trillion innocent (((jews))) died in the Holocaust.
j-jeez I guess you're right user.
>I think he pissed of (((them))) quite a bit.
A lot of companies are adopting it now though, there's really no stopping it.
true
I don't believe the 4G/3G protocols are open-source, fam.

read that article a long time ago

>By manipulating opinions through the (((media))), something they can always do.
Sure. But this isn't done overnight. If you feel the winds changing, you can just dump the identity and move on.
>Unless you bribe all the leading mathematicians to say otherwise, force all educational insitituions to say otherwise, and completely indoctrinate the upcoming generation that 2 + 2 = 5, just like 6 trillion innocent (((jews))) died in the Holocaust.
Sure. Then people will believe 2 and 2 make 5, granted. But you'd have a hard time brainwashing a number.
The specifications are open, and there are chinese sellers of baseband chips on alibaba.

Mostly, because no one really cares about literal nobodies who sell a few grams a day in exchange for a virtual memecoin.
Now, we're talking about Microsoft defending their multi-billion Botnet business here.

What about the people who run them and get millions of bitshekels?

y-y-you're right

which either contain 6 million (((intentional))) or unintentional backdoors for the chinese Govt and anyone who can bother to see what's inside

namefags OUT

Sure, but it shows it's possible at any rate.
Even if they're impossible to reverse engineer, you could take the baseband+cpu from an old phone and then use that as a 3g/4g module, so if the NSA uses one of the backdoors they can only get what the slave phone sees which is the same as what the cell phone tower sees which is NSA'd anyway.

ReactOS is already happening, it already can run some windoze software.
And if microcuck doesn't do anything to save face after w10 blunder, they will eventually be fucked in ass.

It's fake money so real people dont care

Nah they'll just get cnn to tell everyone its a trap from those russian hackerz.

It's open source, so it won't werk, people will inspect it and call it bullshit.

But can it run my gaymez?

Some of them — already yes.
I had trouble with running Hamachi though, it hangs after trying to enable, I will report it as soon as I fight my way into their JIRA (somehow my password is not accepted)

reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing
Driver issues?

Probably because in some genres sound is not important and people tend to play without sound and listen to some other music from the host OS.

Coraline consistently uses the term Open Source, I have never heard it talk about Free Software.

Seeing that pic makes me want to install Windows 10. And I hate Microsoft with an intense passion.

Free Software is political the same way drinking non-leaded water is political.

Some people don't understand the danger that proprietary software poses, just as a young child might not understand that cars in motion on the street are dangerous. Saying that those people don't deserve freedom is like saying the young child stumbling into traffic doesn't deserve to live. We need to do our best to explain the danger in a way that the child can understand. And we ought to continue defending the child from the danger if the child persists in stumbling into traffic. There may even be an occasion when we need to step in front of a car to try to make the driver stop.

I think the Snowden quote applies here, though the context is different.

I don't care if you believe we are destined to be the morally elite few; should the freedoms we demand not be distributed to everyone, our own future is pretty goddamn bleak. We cannot and will not have our freedom if we are just those few unplugged Borg.

What sort of retarded kid doesn't realize high speed hunks of metal are dangerous? Even baby animals realize it. user, I think you're referring to African children that can't even recognize themselves in the mirror until they reach the age 5(look it up), which leads to the question, why would you even protect the lives of something so inferior? Do you really think a child is fit to live if it can't even recognize that shit moving fast is dangerous? Why would you even risk your life for such a thing?