Is it cool to have a movie collection? Will girls really be turned off by nerds? Or is it a beta male hobby?

Is it cool to have a movie collection? Will girls really be turned off by nerds? Or is it a beta male hobby?

Seems almost a little outdated as all of that will fit on one drive and take up a fraction of the space.

Disc is dead. Disk is alive.

Most people just stream so DVDs are really two generations behind.

Video game collection can be 500 and you are cool
But a movie collection? that's way tougher, at least 1500, and remakes, unlike in vidya, generally add absurd amount of quality without cutting features
Except Star Wars and capeshit

I heard dvds go bad after 10 years or so. Not sure if true.

Depends, i have 1996 discs that are clean and serene
The trick is having them far away from humidity, non-chinese made and somewhat loose in its position aka not stacked very closely
But a bad disc from origin is pure bad luck, it will fuck up much, much sooner (5 years)

In games it can be balanced, as complete original cases are more expensive and valuable than the disc itself. In movie DVD's there's only the cover, unless special version/criterion/capeshit, and are usually very cheap discs from origin

Why are you worrying? No girl is ever going to your place anyway.

Yeah basically. I have blu-ray drive cause I like the Criterion collection and I have some season collection of shows, but outside of that most people don't even use disk drives now.

Reminder: this but for movies

It makes sense in some way

I blew that picture up and counted the DVDs in a few sections. Seems there's about 25 cases in the average shelf segment, making about 100 per block of four. Some boxes are bigger than others. Whatever. He's got about 1200 or so movies. Maybe 13 or 1400.

My images only represent roughly half of what this guy has, but I'll point out a couple things:
1. These are just the movies I keep around, stuff worth an eventual re-watch. Plenty of movies have come and gone without being saved, or ended up being deleted to make room for ones that mattered, or if I started it and realized it was crap 20 minutes in and deleted it.
2. I have plenty of higher-quality rips - 10/12/14/16GB. If I wanted to trim everything down to a 1-2GB file size (not the shit YIFY rips, but .mkv or .mp4 files, which ends up fine for 1080p projector shooting on a 10.5' screen), I could easily fit 12-1400 movies on one 3TB drive. (You can see I still have plenty of room left, so even if I don't delete one more thing, I should be able to cram 800-1000 movies on that drive.)
3. This guy spent money on that shit. Even at bargain-bin prices (which they probably weren't) of, say $5 apiece, that photo is easily five large this asshole spent on movies - not even counting the box sets and the faggy memorabilia. My drive cost $99 back when I bought it, my internet connection is 50 bucks a month, and my VPN another 5.

Yeah, I don't have a bunch of shelves packed with colorful cases and terminator heads (to make the ladies extra moist I guess), but I don't really care.

One dummy, envious son of a gun 'round these parts

it's called penis envy for a reason

Great goy.

lol no it isn't you loser

Good goy

Average goy.

Having them shows that you have monetary resources that she can easily exploit pretending she cares about it.

giant waste of space. even a bookshelf of that size would be stupid.

get a disc folder if you must own physical media. throw boxes in the garbage where they belong.

Doubt

Good: Curated small collection of kino that you love
Bad: Huge collection of trash you will never watch again

Good: One of two posters max, props or signed memorabilia
Bad: Toys, Models, replicas, funko pop/other shit

Good: A functional piece designed to spark discussion
Bad: An embarrassing cuckshed that has to be hidden away

For reference, the OP pic should be about a third to a sixth of that size and the Terminator heads and the hulk should go. There is no reason to have front facing DVD's either, if they don't go in sideways then you have too much empty space. Collector's Editions are unnecessary and make the your collection look awkward, just remove the DVD's and shelve them. Obviously the content matters most, a girl is going to look at you differently if you have some Tarkovsky/Hitchcock up there as opposed to the fucking minions movie like OP. Don't have any kids films, cartoons or anime even if they are enjoyable (Wall-E, Secret of NIMH, Castle in The Sky etc. she will think its some beta shit. Women have enough infantilising corrosive disney influence without you helping.

yes, in 1975

Want to really get into his head? Look at the ones he has facing out, so everybody's sure to see them and know that he has them.
Top Row, Far Left:
1. ???
2. Wanted
3. Indiana Jones
4. Band of Brothers
5. Jurassic Park
6. Texas Chainsaw remake
7. Capeshit
8. Bruce Lee
9. Aliens
10. Planet of the Apes remake
11. ???
13. Fast & Furious
14. Mummy
15. ???
16. ???
17. Rambo
18. TMNT
19. ???
20. Capeshit

I work in a big video store. A lot of women like to collect that new line of Disney rereleases with shiny slipcovers, and plenty buy TV boxsets too so it's possible you'll find a kindred female spirit.

That said, as somebody who has spent at least a couple thousand dollars on collecting action figures, graphic novels and DVDs, I admit collecting is a shit-tier hobby.

The hunt is fun. Finding deals is fun. Spending ridiculous amounts just to fill gaps in a collection, taking up far too much space, buying things you dom't really want, obsessing over the optimal way to buy them…

Fuck collecting.

Also down the bottom, capeshit three times over and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Lego fucking Star Wars and Cars? I don't even presume to know what kind of person this is, there doesn't even seem to be any tastes or preferences at all, just run of the mill generic tripe. How can you spend this much on movies and not stumble upon at least one piece of kino? I want to believe this is a family collection but even so, trash taste all round.

You don't want a girl who likes Disney. If she doesn't mind them that's okay but if she is obsessed be wary. Female disney lovers are the biggest womanchildren around, they are fucking embarassing. You are looking at about a 30/70 split between woman who wants to revisit her childhood and preserve happy memories versus infantilised emotional cripple who will insist on being coddled privately but will bust your balls publicly

what was the name of the girl who hurt you user

I collect guns, knives, and tools.

Katie

Kek, you're bound to be unhappy in life if you live in fear of what a woman might think of you. You're the leader, she's the follower. She's the fuckée, not the fucker.

Yea its fine as long as its a good collection

I used to collect blu-rays. Got a couple hundred. Phased out of it (not having a job anymore will do that). Waste of money tbh, unless you really, really enjoy the movie you're buying.

Samefagging. I will also add that if you have a serious home theater setup, then you probably want the best quality, so I can understand buying on BD.

Have some sympathy; so are you.