Some future.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_Secrecy_Act
wired.com/2013/01/jd-power-nav-sucks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I blame sex

Have you seen how the sci-fi genre is all about dystopia now and how it lost ground significantly to medieval/ancient genres?
This is people realising that the future sucks and that the past was indeed better. The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, where the future seemed bright, full of wonders and possibilities crumbled, we live in 'that future' and is horrible.

a lot of people want stupid stuff...
---the only people who wanted unlimited 1Gb/sec internet was people doing illegal file-trading, and that's been mostly shut down by other means
---phones don't really do anything technically or visually demanding; the only meaningful improvement is battery life. yet they increase the screen resolutions and CPU ability first, and then try to figure out how to make the thing run longer than an hour or two
---3-D printers have a lot of industrial uses, but they're very slow and expensive for making end-use products. I want one but don't got one yet

Robots:
I am slowly planning out something to play with here.
I already have a system running for an arduino-controlled platform that can communicate 2-way with a PC, either over serial USB or NRF2401 radios. this way the arduino is just an interface card for the PC. The logic can be done on a PC, that has way more storage space and CPU speed than an arduino or ARM chip dev board has.

...I looked into robotic lawnmowers lately and was rather unimpressed. Most just use a buried wire to mark the outer boundary of the yard, and most just mow in random directions inside the marked-off area {random directions?--are you fucking kidding me? is that the best they could do?} A couple brands don't, but I was still surprised that most do it that way. And they cost $500 - $1000+... The only things that was particularly impressive was that most can return to their little charging station on their own--but then again, doing that part yourself would only take a couple minutes, and they spend several hours mowing in random directions.... So while [returning to their charging base] is technically impressive, it really doesn't save a lot of time doing the main task you want them to do.

The indoor robot floor cleaners are much the same way--they just run in random directions, and use a $2 ultrasound sensor to avoid running into walls.

Building your own PC-controlled robot isn't difficult now, if you know a bit about electronics and programming.
The problem is that you need a very easy task that they can do, that helps you out enough to pay extra for, and that can be done relatively slowly.
My guess is that (other than mowing a lawn) most people don't have any tasks like that, that they would benefit from being done automatically.

One small victory:
---phones can kinda do augmented reality, with the Google maps function that superimposes text information over the camera's view.

Yeah, they know.

You wouldn't download a bear would you?

Why do you believe that it's possible to have modular small computer machines? The only reason why it's small is because engineers don't have to design the thing into easy to replace modules.

In shitholes like clapistan perhaps

>

the future tech that earth has is owned by a deep shadow government. We would have had this kind of tech and much more if it weren't for them.

Seems pretty conspiratorial but its true.

Begin here if you want to start down the rabbit hole.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_Secrecy_Act

I don't care about any of these.

I always was saddened by this. This is a world controlled by jews.

You also forgot

Hope you like feudalism, because that's what awaits us for the next 1000+ years!

t. /killcen/

a lot of tech is misguided too, or just isn't accepted well.

one example is that a while back, a place did a study on why US drivers generally don't use their car's GPS navigation systems, since every car comes with them now. the reason they found was that people already knew how to use their phones, and didn't want to learn another system--and of course, adding to this problem was that the car companies decided to pile-on added features instead of keeping their navigation systems basic and easy to use. The cars with the most-basic systems scored the highest in use.
wired.com/2013/01/jd-power-nav-sucks/

another example is the grocery store company I worked for installed a "augmented reality" system in a few of their stores. This lets you use your smartphone to find items in the store, and it even pops up ads for sale items. It looks like what Google Maps does, but it works like that in the aisles of the store.... and even though they have had store signs advertising it all along, almost nobody uses it. The average daily use is well below 5% of total customers.

3D printers have been oversold a lot too. They can be used for some neat things, but the ability to immediately make small low-quality thermoplastic objects for only a few hundred dollars just isn't that useful to most average people. The big 3D printing money is in industrial uses, not selling machines to Joe Blow so he can make naked WoW and manga figurines.

Because it's impractical. What works in your fantasies doesn't always occur in real life.
Uh ok

lolnope, unlikely to happen. Radiowave bandwidth is inherently finite.

Not gonna happen. The reason they can be so small is because they aren't modular.

GPL a shit. Also copyright law is disgusting garbage.

Not actually all that useful for most people.

What, are you complaining about no strong AI yet?

>we live in (((that future))) and is horrible

explain

It's incredibly verbose when it doesn't have to be. It uses imprecise language which allows fancy lawyers to attempt to poke holes in it. And it fails to do anything about the issue of copyright duration.

The GPL language is actually precise; lawyers can't poke holes in the GPL because when they do, they lose their license to distribute another person's copyrighted work.This is the reason why companies are so hesitant to try and test it in a court. The GPL is only verbose to laymen who don't understand legalese. For the layman, reading the preamble is all that's necessary to understand the GPL.

If you think the intent of the GPL is to combat copyright duration, you are confused. The reason why the GPL exists is to use copyright law to prevent distributors to fork GPL software into proprietary software.>>763069