Ask a physicists anything

Hello I'm back again!

Ask me any physics questions I'll do my best to answer

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2015-03-particle.html
math.stackexchange.com/questions/792860/what-is-the-best-classical-mechanics-book-for-undergraduate
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_quantization
youtube.com/watch?v=HnASxhZyuIU
youtube.com/watch?v=RCUhm63ioCU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how are you?

What's the best way to get ketchup stains out of a t-shirt?

I am fine thank you :) how are you?

put the tee shirt in a bucket of warm water and add biological washing powder then wait I would imagine

How do I acquire a gf?

Also fine, thank you.

Here's a question: why is it cold at high altitudes?

Ask physicists
Ask a group physicists
Ask a physicist
It's singular,you dumb Brit.
Learn how to spell your own langwidge

get off Holla Forums

the heat loss due to radiation is greater than the heat gain from conduction (at higher altitudes particles are at higher temperature but there are fewer of them)

Explain to me a dumbasses version of dark matter

lol nice education Trudeu has for you lads up there.

Why do people call black holes black holes when they aren't actually holes? Why not just call them black suns? How does it bode when scientists come up with bullshit terms to justify government grants? Do certain branches make fun of other branches? How do you mess with each other? What's the best way you've ever fucked another scientist over for daring to mess with you?

Do the red un's go fasta?

How do I get into physics? What aspect(s) of math should I start with, assuming I have basic middle school math as a fundament of knowledge?
I'd like to get into physics, as it's conceptually fascinating to me, but I've never been good at math due to a plethora of reasons, despite having the potential for it.

How will the quantum computers help the people?

I'm a comp sci student with some physics background and I have questions both mundane and exotic.

1) What's your opinion of climate change?
2) Do you think the scientific community is corrupt, either due to politics or just bad research?
3) Do you think humanity stands a good chance of destroying itself or being destroyed by some natural disaster in the near future?
4) Let's say you were in a post-apocalyptic situation where some possibility of human survival still exists, and you need to train people to become physicists and engineers in the shortest amount of time possible in order to preserve human knowledge. What kind of curriculum would you use to do this?
5) Do you think time travel to the past will ever be a thing? If not, why not? If so, will it be restricted to Novikov-style time loops or will changing the past be possible? We can go to the future by traveling at relativistic speeds, but right now we still don't really understand what time is. I think it's probably the most fundamental question in all of science.

That's an embarrassingly juvenile set of questions for someone claiming to have a background in physics.

Yeah well, you're a gay nigger.

Assume that our galaxy has an inhabitable world (as per humans' needs) on every millionth star.
Assume that every millionth of those produced its own humanoid species, similar in biological processes, anatomy (e.g., Star Trek aliens with different clothes and funny foreheads, but two arms, two legs, eyes, ears, nose, etc) and that these populations split roughly 50/50 between male and female.
Not including travel time, how long would it take OP to suck all the dicks in the galaxy?

there is a bunch of matter we can't see. In galaxies most of the visible matter is concentrated at the center. What we would assume to see are velocities decaying as 1/root(r) from the center however they do noty decay suggesting there is a large quantity of unknown matter spread out throughout the galaxy.

nothing can escape them once they cross the event horizon that's hole like.

yes you stupid grot

the main thing to do is learn basic topics in great detail. You must learn linear algebra (quantum mechanics) and vector calculus (electromagnetism). Do this after you learn the basics of newtonian mechanics

Hole-like is not a hole.

some algorithms run faster on them. I really don't know the details well

1) all alarmism is usually bullshit. climate science is actually a really cool topic from a mathematical point of view but it is heavily politicized. Don't trust any science where large money depends on the outcome.
2) yes and it gets worse the "softer" the science becomes
3)I hope so but probably not.
4) you would never train physicists. Only engineers. For that a basic understanding of newtonian mechanics and electromagnetism is all you need.
5) we need a better understanding of time first. The scientific community is still not fully agreeed on the definition of entropy yet.

What happens if I'm going the speed of light and shine a flashlight?

you can't go the speed of light, only arbitrarily close.
And you would see the light race ahead of you at the speed of light just like normal.

I don't trust that or science where someone's cultural control or sexual capital depends on the outcome either.

Why do you hope so?

Got anything more specific than this? Do you think all the formulae they could need would fit on one formula sheet? What about thermodynamics, optics or acoustics? Would it just be integrated into the mechanics/EM problem sets?

I may be able to provide at least a partial answer to this one. Quantum cryptography would render eavesdropping a useless gesture, and quantum computing algorithms may be able to give us an answer to the P vs NP problem, which would have unbelievably massive consequences no matter which way it goes. I'm just a student, so you should consult a full computer scientist to learn more.

Sup OP. How far in are you?

t. recently did Wick's theorem and Bogoliubov transformation

DO NOT REMEMBER FORMULAE
I repeat
DO NOT REMEMBER FORMULAE
(unless you are taking an exam and are hopelessly fucked)
You are NOT an engineer
All formulae should be derivable by you and you should be able to say what every formula means in english.

I will revise what I said earlier: Do as much newtonian mechanics as you can. optics and accoustics will naturally arise from when you consider newtonian mechanics of continuous media.
A good course would be (maths you learn in brackets):
1) Dynamics of a single particle (basic calculus)
2)Single particle in multiple dimensions (multivariate calculus)
3) Dynamics of an extended body (multivariate calculus continued)
4) rotational mechanics (transformation properties of vectors and some linear algebra)
5) multiparticle systems and normal modes (linear algebra)
6) Vibration of a string (continuous media and intro to functionals)
7) optics and acoustics (intro to field theories)

Once you get there you should be good to start looking at electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

There's an estimated 100-400 billion stars in the milky way. So lets just average that at (100+400)/2 = 250 billion stars.

We divide that again by a million to find inhabitable planets, which gives us the number 250000. And that againby another million to find planets inhabitet by humanoid-like creatures to give us the final number of 0.25

Which would imply that there is only one(rounded up) inhabitet planet in this galaxy, that being ours.
With about 7.4 billion people on the planet, it means we have about 3.7 billion men , and therefore 3.7 billion dicks to be sucked.
We are going to assume that OP only have to suck the dicks of the people who are alive by today, as trying to suck the dicks of all new males being born would be a never-ending process.
Furthermore, people will inevitably die while waiting for their dicks to be sucked, so we also assume that OP goes in for not sucking exactly 3.7 billion, but rather the maximum number of dicks before the 3.7 billion men either had their dicks sucked or is dead.

We give OP 8 hours a day for sleeping and feeding himself, giving him 16 hours worth of dick-sucking each day.
If we que two lines of men up to OP, we can have a constant feed of new dicks coming up and rotating out alternatly to his left and right.
Although dicks can be sucked at a rate faster, I think 1 second each is a reasonable estimation, seeing as he might get tired after hours of sucking dick and the average time per dick sucked goes up.

16 hours of dicksucking each day means that OP would suck 57600 dicks each day, or just over 2.1 million dicks each year. At this rate, we find that OP would definatly die of old age long before the 3.7 billion men are either sucked or dead.

But let's assume that OP is currently 20 years of age and that a team of doctors set their own life aside to help him live as long as possible. For the sake of argument, lets just put that at 100 years.

So sucking dicks at the rate of 1 per second for 16 hours a day for 18 years means that OP would be able to suck just under 1.7 billion dicks in his lifetime, making him a massive faggot

cool. in what context? I would assume quantum field theory becasue for some reason most people encounter that before condensed matter systems which is unfortunate because CMSs make a lot of sense but QFTs do not.

It's really hard to say how much further because you might know more in certain areas. Ever heard of the renormalization group? That probably the most important thing in physics… possibly ever

I applaud you.

Light was recently photographed while it was behaving as both a wave and a particle, pic related. My question is simple: What the fuck exactly am I looking at?

Actually within condensed matter physics. I'm also doing QFT but I'm more seriously taking CMP.
Yep, did it in context of phase transitions.

i have no idea. source?

Do you understand why the RG is probably one of the biggest theoretical breakthroughs ever? Do you understand it's role in the context of QFTs? Do you know what quantization means?

(these are questions I can't answer fully. Would like to hear your opinions on it).

That makes a good amount of sense. I've already studied a lot of this, but it's good to organize your thoughts. Anything similar for electromagnetism or QM? Maybe I can craft a lesson plan and send it back in time to my 14 year old self.

holy fucking shit i kek'd

phys.org/news/2015-03-particle.html

Just go on stackexchange and find what people recommend as a good book in each topic. Nothing more than that.

Always remember quality of learning>>>>quantity of learning. Learn one thing really well cause you will apply it again and again through your career as a physicist. Always think about what you are doing any why you are doing it at every step.

I think the article explains it quite well. What do you not understand about it?

How do you explain God in physics?

Thank you. I'm reading up on classical mechanics. Do you know of any good sources to self study? Apart from Edx?

Whats your opinion about space niggers?

You never said why you hope humanity is destroyed though. Maybe you should go back in time and fix whatever it is.

you can't

stackexchange would be better for this kind of thing.
math.stackexchange.com/questions/792860/what-is-the-best-classical-mechanics-book-for-undergraduate

fucking Tranu

because it would be funny i guess

The made up reason for shit we don't have the tools or knowledge to explain yet

Hm, unsure. Self-similarity of systems seems like a pretty strong tool, because it ties in the connection between varying size scales. I understand that simply by saying that phase transition occurs at a discontinuity in phase graphs and that this discontinuity must look the same at all scales, one can derive the whole set of coefficients describing the system in vicinity of phase transition itself (so, basically expanding the regime around the phase transition asymptotically). Also important I guess is that one doesn't need to simulate model's behaviour on same scale everywhere, but can reduce the resolution as distance increases and comes to the same result thanks to knowing the scaling relations.

In context of QFT, renormalisation is about being able to describe an interaction between particles (excitations of fields) without postulating how the interaction happens, where each vertex on the Feynmann diagram can be expanded in terms of same vertices recursively. Pretty strong stuff as this basically means you're taking into context all possible modes simultaneously (which is how according to quantum mechanics principles it's occurring anyway), while operating with recursive relations which allows one to write the whole thing as a series, hopefully converging. For example if one expands two-vertices (nodes on a propagator) in terms of interactions with fields, a massless field can obtain mass from such interactions (famously Higgs field)

You don't, physics deals only with models describing reality, not why reality is as it is.

What is gravity?

Now that's a divisive question.

I guess for EM it could end up being something like:

1) DC circuit laws (basic calculus)
2) Maxwell's equations, electric motors, Lorentz force, EM fields and flux (vector calculus)
3) AC circuit laws (differential equations with a focus on phasors)

QM could probably be divided into uncertainty, eigenvalues, how energy, position and momentum are handled quantum mechanically, operator formalism vs phase space formalism, exactly solvable models, and higher order stuff like QFT that I don't know and which no post-apocalyptic engineer would be expected to know. Sometimes I wonder if knowing the AC circuit laws would be necessary considering that high-voltage DC is more efficient at power transmission and IIRC doesn't require three-phase architecture.

But if speed is relative and light moves away from me at the speed of light, but I'm moving away from an observer also at the speed of light, wouldnt the light be moving away from the observer at 2x the speed of light?

Okay they just shot electrons at a wave of light, and this image shows where the electrons hit the wave of light? I'm just confused where everything is in relation to each other, here's an example I've drawn.

The core postulate of relativity is that the speed of light is invariant in all reference frames. No matter how fast you're going or where you are, it'll always look the same. This single fact leads to every weird consequence that makes up relativity.

You are definitely along the right lines. The key word you missed out is universality. Yes it allows you to look at your field theory at all length scales but the more important idea is that, no matter what field theory you start with, as we zoom out a huge class of them all flow to the same fixed point. One might ask (why not include a \phi^6 coupling into our theory? and the answer is that you could… but the theory would look no different to the \phi^4 theory as they are in the same universality class (depending on dimension of the system I believe). You may already know this because your second paragraph seems to hint towards it but if you didn't, here is the forest instead of the trees.

I thought the Higgs mass came from redefining your gauge field to include the massless field, thus giving you an A^2 mass term. Obviously a phi^4 term can change the mass under RG but I don't see how your Gauge field gains mass directly from RG since A^4 is not gauge covariant. Can you expand please?

the theory of interactions mediated by a rank 2 tensor field (called curvature) which is invariant under lorentz transformations :^)

That sounds good. Stack exchange is your friend tho do have a look there!

Thats pretty much the right setup. The electrons are scattered from the EM field in the wire and detected. There isn't much more to say except that of course a standing wave is quantized because any standing wave on a string has a finite number of peaks and troughs. That's all they are seeing.

hello op do you have a minute

Ahh fuck its the A^2phi^2 term that changes A^2 isn't it? Integrating out the \phi^+ terms will give you something…

The crazy thing here is that it seems you get the Higgs mechanics without any symmetry breaking occuring. \phi could be a real scalar field and this would still happen… I never thought about this before can you expand on it?

you think it is possible to go too another universe

Derp, no of course not. You need a complex \phi to have (the simplest: U(1)) gauge invariance. What this is saying is that the symmetry is inevitably broken due to RG flow and the emergence of the A^2 term.

Thanks Slovenia user. You taught me something :D

Mr Slovenia user, do you think we could talk a bit about what quantization really is? I don't work with quantum systems at all in what I do but I would like to talk about it.

All I know is that you add some algebra to your state space of a particle (such as commutation relations) but I fail to see how this induces a natural discretization on your space. Can you help?

I have no idea man. All I know is that flying into a black hole is your best bet although according to all of our current models you will be killed very quickly once inside.

Is there a limit how fast universe can expand?

I know you're get torn apart once pasted the event horizon of a black hole, but what about worm holes, or will those just shit you out in another part of this shitty universe?

Probably because they're not actually holes but supercompressed stars.

not according to our current theories

how does a black hole differ from a wormhole from the outside if there is nothing coming through it? Hope you're feeling lucky!

Give me a mathematical definition of what a hole is. I would say it is somewhere the potential function is convex over a given interval. If this is the case, any gravitation body is effectively a hole and one that does not emit light would be the color…?

black holes are a singularity from a shit tone of mass being pushed push together by gravity, worm holes are holes in space time. or something like that, i don't know I am not a physicist. Pic is as far as I understand wormholes and blackholes

welcome back.

does gravity start from the surface of an object or the center? how does gravity know where one object end and other begins. i.e. do all the objects on a planet add the overall force or does it subtract?

What can you tell me about white holes. they suppose to be opposite of black holes, but that's all what i gathered about them.

Okay thanks.

what would happen if we could create wormhole pairs and dropped another end in a black hole?

look up einstein rosen bridge for a better idea.

Gravity is just related to matter at a point (it is known as a body force if that helps as opposed to a surface force).. Have an elastic sheet and put a ball on it. The sheet sinks down and if you put another ball on there is a force between them. The elastic sheet mediates the force. Same with gravity essentially.

It is essentially the black hole solution to GR but with a negative sign in the right places, producing a repulsive force. Like if you took the elastic sheet above and pulled it upwards.

wat?

How do singulars and plurals work?

I don't really care about it, nor do I think I am intelligent to appreciate it, I just need to know if there is a way to escape our shitty universe base off your knowledge of physics.

If I dig a hole with no outlet, and people keep shitting in it, what happens when it is full and people keep shitting in it? Does the hole still exist or does it no longer qualify as a hole?
What if I tell people the hole isn't for shitting in, but is for raspberries, and they shit in it anyway? Is it my fault if I do nothing to try to stop them even if I have it in my power to do so?

I am asking for a friend, Dysnomia. That isn't his real name though, so don't think you know who he is.

your wormhole now leads to the centre of the black hole. Congrats!

you end up with India

India has an outlet…the Ganges. I already thought of that.

How many genders are there?

it is tho
and I know you know, humans will never explore outside our local cluster, because to do so we would have to develop means of travel that is faster then the speed of light, due to the universe expanding at the speed of light.
and even then I don't care about stars, or some rat-like alien species on some other shit-hole, i want to fucking leave, and find something better version of humans or at least one that better fits my fetishes

There is one way, somewhere on earth there is a hole, if you jump in it puff you end up in different universe, though even then you can end up in even worse place that the one we live in.

In other words, you want your environment to adapt to you rather than adapting yourself to your environment.
Cool.
Because in the history of life that strategy is called "natural selection". It is based on the scientific fact that when faced with adversity living organisms have three options: Move, adapt, or die.
Since you yourself have already pointed out that moving to a place where some "better version of humans" reside is physically impossible (without offering any evidence for the existence of said beings, I might add), your two remaining options are to adapt (change yourself to suit your environment) or die.
Personally, I don't think anyone else really gives a shit which one you choose, but the fact remains that those are your only options.

Not really, if he is a nigger he can shout racist at anyone who don't want to adapt to his environment.

test

Why dont you come up with a better term and reflect on your county's spending goi?

Niggers playing the racism card is them adapting to their environment.

Besides, he isn't a nigger, he is an autistic 14 year old who would rather kill himself than change. Change is scary, and autists are pussies.

are you implying that is bad thing? Humans have done that via technology, and it has worked out pretty good for us.
for natural selection to take place you need evolutionary pressure from environmental factors, humans eliminated this, and nature evolution isn't even that good at improving species, it is way too slow, and easily gets stuck at minimal outputs. But you're talking about me as an individual, which couldn't be more irrelevant to evolution, as any one individual's genetic input would be insignificant.
I don't fucking care what you think, I am here to ask a yes or no question, and get answer, not be told that I should grateful to whatever this shit of universe circumstantially decides to shit at me.

I would say it's rather left molding it that way so niggers can survive to give them votes later on, still niggers adapt to these conditions, so I guess is going both ways.

If he isn't from any "minority" that can blame others for their pathetic life, just an autistic failure then I guess you're right, he's stuck with only these 2 options.

Oh I see you came to the proper conclusion without me already.
Well what had in mind wasn't really strictly the Higgs mechanism itself, but just the simplified idea of how this happens.

Quantisation is technically a postulate I think? At least in terms of QFT.
But in CMP quantisation appears by itself from crystal size and lattice dimensions. I always thought of quantisation in QFT as a similar emergent phenomenon, based on granular (but non-lattice) nature of space-time itself, on Planck scale. Planck scale thus serves as the generalised lattice constant.
Existence of Planck scale itself is required if one wants to have location and momentum operators being linked by Fourier transform. Fourier transform itself leads to uncertainty principle, which leads to Planck constant (which however, doesn't have an a priori scale, which can theoretically be arbitrary, but constant for consistency).

does the gravity extend through blackhole effectively making it second blackhole with shared mass?

Hm, it should; wormhole isn't as much a magical link between two locations as it is simply a second link on a manifold, like how you can add a handle to a sphere to make it topologically a torus (or a teacup). Maybe it's easier to look at it like having a blackhole in middle of a wormhole. It should look like a blackhole, but likely dropping one end of a wormhole would mean effective mass would split between both ends of the wormhole.

In QFT the way you quantize is you turn the fields into operators (which is essentially endowing them with additional algebraic structure). You then say they are linearly related to creation and annihilation operators due to the similarity with the Hamilton formulation of classical mechanics.

However these are effectively 2 postulates. Promotion to operators and analogy with Hamiltonian mechanics. I want to connect them, ideally by showing that the phase space manifold becomes naturally discretized upon endowment of non commutative algebra. This would be a lot more satisfying to me and I've never seen it done but only seen hints of it at a more advanced stage of mathematical physics.

Huh, good point, now that I think of it I am not satisfied with anything I can come up with myself either. But I feel that it indeed should somehow follow out of canonical commutation relations.

something something symplectic manifolds

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_quantization

I will need to look at this in more detail at some point. Probably not in the near future as I have never properly learned differential geometry. Hopefully by next year!

How can oddities in the double slit experiment be used to perform calculations? Imagine the slits as gates and the particles as current.

is there tsunami equivalent for gravitational waves?

how is babby formed?

Our whole universe is affected by gravity, which alters the passage of time through time dilation. If you reversed the effects of gravity, could you then cause time to move backwards? The only theorized way of doing this would be through negative mass, which was reported to have been observed in the lab for the first time in April.

No; as you increase the perturbation towards infinity time dilation tends to temporal velocity of zero.

I'm not really sure what perturbation means in this context. I have some other ideas for how backwards time travel could be put into effect, but they all involve an odd, unproven understanding of how time works and highly theoretical forms of signaling that nobody really understands.

Is it true that the universe is a hollow sphere like the plastic of a ping pong ball and what we call the known or observable universe is a relatively solid sphere with a radius (17 billion light years) that almost reaches either the outer or inner surface of the shell?

If I shoot a marble at a marble of equal mass and size and speed why does the energy transfer become null? It feels like the energy is being "destroyed" but that's obviously not possible. Best regards - user.

So you mean, hitting together two marbles of same speed but different velocity because of different direction of travel?

It's hard to say the energy transfer is null. In the end it will make no difference, but during the time they're in contact they do exchange momentum. It's more that marble A gives the exact same amount of energy to marble B as the marble B gives to marble A.

Deviation of metric tensor from flat Minkowski space-time.
Now this is obviously extremely non-linear; but it is non-linear in such a manner that you'll always merely tend to the limit of contemporaneity, never break it.

I don't understand what you said but I'm going with "you don't have the whole picture" and that's probably true.

I can see why you'r'e not an English teacher.

Hi!
Can you tell how to calculate speed and distance given acceleration and time?

The Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun
youtube.com/watch?v=HnASxhZyuIU
The Earth does not revolve around the Sun - PART 2 -The exposure of hiding - January 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=RCUhm63ioCU

So as usual, relativity is being a pain in the ass, only this time it's general relativity instead of special. Hopefully quantum mechanics has a solution that goes around it. If you're here on Holla Forums, I don't need to tell you why time travel research should happen. The world is shit, it's getting shittier every single day and there's no sign that anything will ever get better. The society we live in now would have been considered a dystopia by the sci-fi writers of 50 years ago, the kind of thing that someone from the future would travel back in time to prevent. Even though it's probably not going to work, we don't really have anything to lose by trying at this point.

Define time please

Well I'm quite certain that the current physical theories still break down in specific cases. But I'm willing to claim that if a physical theory predicts retrograde time travel, it is the physical theory that's being wrong.

How to make friends in another language?

READ A BOOK.

I read a book, but the ketchup stain is still there.
Thanks for the "advice", faggot.

I guess that'll depend on and learning the definition of entropy. Some have postulated that entropy is a statistical phenomenon instead of a fixed quantity, and in turn suggested the possibility of entropy reversal functioning as a way to shift the entire universe back in time. Obviously this isn't possible under the classical concept of entropy given by the second law of thermodynamics, so the possibility of retrograde time travel with this method depends on whether entropy is probabilistic or not. I think that makes more sense than any other proposed form of backwards time travel because it fits better with information theory. If the universe is thought of as a computer program, it's going to be in only one state at a given time, and you can't just form a wormhole connecting two states. Here you run into the possibility of a quantum computer program, potentially allowing the universe to be in more than one state at a time, which is what the many-worlds theory advocates, but the multiple states that the program is in don't actually interact with each other. Information conservation of a single state is still preserved. Any form of informationally acceptable time travel to the past would essentially amount to loading a savestate. You may be able to restore the past, but you couldn't take anything back with you, so even if this is possible, there's no guarantee of any important historical events actually being changed.

What happened before the big bang?

how much dark energy is there?

What is to be done about the Jews?

They're not suns, either. Why don't we call them nigger singularities?

well it would certainly damage your property value if you lived next to a black hole. that's quite nigger-like.

No, this has nothing to do with entropy. Stop thinking about physics as actually containing absolute truths.
Even then, it's already clearly shown that if you derive entropy from statistical quantities, it only tends to absolute thermodynamical definition of entropy as size of the system tends to infinity. In finite systems, thermodynamics no longer holds exactly; fluctuations destroy 2nd law of thermodynamics and phase transitions become fuzzy.

I'm not entirely convinced of this, but the question certainly isn't going to be answered in this thread.

In the strictest terms only pure math can actually prove anything to be absolutely true, but physics does contain something true or we wouldn't use it.

@%^(*YTHIOGNJM,.ad+7ik