Wired vs Wireless

So I just got a new ISP/connection and got their basic router for now and it's trash, a steaming pile of shit. I mean, the signal is full but I only get ~10% of the advertised speed through WiFi.

The router I have from them is basically for the fiber cable and has the capacity to broadcast wireless (so it's not a router per se). I've been on ethernet so far, do I buy a router and hook it up to this boxy thing and disable SSID on the one I've got from the ISP?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BUMP

true. i don't understand the question

No, just use ethernet. wifi it's for plebs.

I have another connection at my place and it's slower (100/100) and I get 95/95 wireless(in this cast it's 300 and only get 30), I'm guessing the problem is the default router my ISP provided.

The problem that arises is the fact that this router that my ISP gave is connected via fiber (my previous connections were ethernet), can I buy a Gigabit router and connected to this router via ethernet and disable broadcasting in the main one? It sounds kinda dumb but in a way I think it'll work.

My router is placed in the middle of the house, not gonna drag cables everywhere.

Basically I'm losing about 90%(30Mbps wireless/300Mbps wired) because of this router but at my place I'm losing less than 3% (95Mbps wireless/100Mbps wired).

My question is, can I bridge the connection, and basically link a regular router to the one my ISP gave me. (Since fiber routers are expensive as fuck).

the router might not be capable of wifi broadcasting at higher speeds. it could be a piece of shit. ethernet (wired) will always be quicker than wireless. if you want the speed, run the cable. i have no experience with fiber routers, so i can't comment on that aspect

Yeah it's no rocket science that wired is superior but I'd love speed around the house and the only way I can achieve that is through a bridged connection by hooking my own router to the other one and disabling broadcasting on the 1st. But I haven't done that before that's why I'm here asking if anyone knows hot to make this shit work, lol.

Then, just disable the wireless from your isp router and add a new one 300Mbps Wireless N router .

Any brand in particular? I've heard TP link are pretty alright.

Can you access to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.100 ???

oh. you're pleb tier. sorry. yeah, just run an ethernet cable from your ISP's router into your personal router and it should work fine

yeah, different address but I can get into the router, I just hooked up a seconary one, how do I bridge the connection from one to another?

I've got two routers engaged, how do I bridge the connection? Me being retarded, I disabled wifi on the main one then realized I can't get into the setting anymore lel.

Okay, I'm in, now what?

if everything is set up to dhcp i wouldn't think you need to do much of anything. it should just work it's been a while since i messed with a more complex routing so if i'm wrong forgive me

worst case scenario, just call your ISP and they can walk you through it.
might have to call your ISP anyway. lel

That's what I thought, I have the user and password for the PPPoE connection and everything, connected the 2nd router and reset it to factory settings but when I do connect to it I have no internet connection.

don't buy a router buy a WAP it's cheaper and you'll get more for what you spend plus you can put it in the center of your home easily

user, i think OP already owns the router. no need to buy

How is that better, genuinely curious?

Have one but it's rather old but should do 100Mbps at least, I wanna test it first to see if it works then go out and buy a better one.

Too little configurations available, which username are you using?
Which options are available under "Network"???

I'm going under "user" and "password"

What is the IP that obtain your secondary router when it's connected to your isp router?

It doesn't detect it, think it's the default one for both routers, should I plug it into my PC and change the ip to end in .2 instead of .1? I tried connecting to the 2nd router (while linked to the 1st) and, while connected, it appeared to be not responding (no internet bar).

Try putting a fixed ip in your secondary router.
ip: 192.168.1.200
gateway: 192.168.1.1
dns: 192.168.1.1
and do a ping to 192.168.1.1

Also you need to change the dhcp ip range from your secondary router to 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254 so both router don't will offer the same range of ip.

Okay, trying to configure my 2nd router now.

Okay, trying to configure my 2nd router as we speak. What do I add in the subnet mask?

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Yeah, got it in the meantime, I keep logging on both networks, configuring DHCP now, start ip went from .200 to .254 and made the dns to the 1st router, lemme just do a quick check.

Fuck, can't get it to work for the life of me.

(you)

this
or buy and bridge a better wifi router via eth

This is the correct answer.

In other words, "I am autistic and am afraid of using scary power tools like a drill."

Fuck you, OP. You don't deserve the internet, let alone a decent connection.

1. get new router, modem, and ethernet wall adapters
2. create static IP addresses for all your devices on your LAN
3. create a static bridge between your modem and router, so that your router is the primary gateway on your network
3. plug one wall adapter in near your modem/router location
4. plug the other one in near the device that usually takes WiFi
5. connect your bitch ass device using the bitch ass wall adapter instead of WiFi
6. ???
7 profit

if you don't know how to do this shit, then google it tbh

HOW TO CREATE A STATIC BRIDGE TBH
What you need:
- Access to your modem and router web interface. If you don't know how to do that, then LOOK UP YOUR MODEM AND ROUTER'S MODEL ON FUCKING GOOGLE AND FIND OUT HOW TO ACCESS IT HOLY SHIT. Most models usually have default settings like [192.168.1.1] as the default LAN IP and there are usually default username and password combinations. If this is not the case for you, THEN CONSULT WITH WHOEVER CHANGED THAT SHIT SO YOU KNOW HOW TO ACCESS THE WEB INTERFACE HOLY SHIT
- Create static IP addresses for all of your primary devices. When you use DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol), you're letting the router automatically communicate between devices. It will pick an available address from a pool of addresses - say you have addresses in the range [192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.100] that's 100 IP addresses that could potentially be used - and designate them to new devices on the network. However, it's "dynamic" which means that the IP addresses may constantly change depending on the state of the network (i.e. if your power goes out and the router resets, it will designate IP addresses to all the devices on the network again, and each device may not get the same address that they had before) Static IP just makes it so that your router will designate a special IP address for your device that doesn't ever change.
- MAC addresses for all your devices. MAC (Media Access Control) address is the physical address of your device's network adapter. Your router needs this shit to distinguish between devices. On Windows, you can get it by opening command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" and looking for the Physical Address of the device's primary adapter. It will be a 12 character string formatted like this: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
- (optional) Turn off your DHCP. DHCP is just a mechanism that designates IP addresses to every device on your network. When you set a static IP address, you don't need to have DHCP enabled because everything on the network will have its own IP address that will never change. However, this means that no new devices will be able to connect unless you designate a static IP for them, so you can leave this on if you want to be able to have guests come over and instantly connect to your network with just the password. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS, MAKE SURE YOU GIVE ALL YOUR DEVICES STATIC IP ADDRESSES BEFORE YOU SHUT OFF THE DHCP YOU NIGGER

What you do:
1. Open your router's web interface
2. Find the LAN settings
3. There should be an option that will allow you to set a static IP address; web interfaces can vary, so FUCKING GOOGLE THAT SHIT FOR YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL YOU NIGGER
4. Ether a name for your device, the device's MAC address, and an IP address THAT IS OUTSIDE OF THE DHCP'S POOL YOU NIGGER (e.g. if your DHCP is between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100, then you could use 192.168.1.101 as your device's static IP. There are special IP addresses that can't be used, FUCKING GOOGLE IT YOU DIPSHIT)

Once you've done this shit, then do this (pic fucking related):
Where to set a static IP on Windows:
1. Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connection > Change Adapter Settings
2. Right click on your primary adapter, doesn't matter if you're using ethernet or WiFi
3. Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
4. Where it says IP address, use the static IP address that you set in the router's web interface. Don't fuck with the subnet mask, it should automatically fill itself. Where it says Gateway, you use the IP address of your router.
5. YOU DON'T HAVE TO, but it would be good to get your ISP's DNS server addresses. DNS is the address of the server that your modem connects to in order to reach the internet. You get these and put them where it says "Preferred and Alternate" but it's optional so maybe don't worry about it. If not, then just LEAVE THIS SHIT ALONE YOU ASSHOLE, FUCK

THERE, YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CREATED A STATIC IP ON YOUR BITCH ASS DEVICE
NOW, DO THIS
1. Open your modem's web interface and create a static IP for your router
2. Open your router's interface and create a static IP for your modem
3. Back in the modem's interface, find out where you can set a static route
4. Use your router's static IP for the static route
5. Back in the router's interface, create a static route using your modem's static IP address

Also, if you're dead set on using WiFi for some gay reason, make sure that you're using the 5GHz bandwidth, because 2.4 GHz is gay because it can receive disruption from devices such as microwaves and chordless phones. If your device cannot connect to the 5GHz handwidth, then you're fucked and you should be using ethernet tbh.

I LAID IT ALL OUT FOR YOU IN PLAIN MOTHERFUCKING ENGLISH, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING THEN FUCKING G O O G L E I T YOU NIGGER HOLY SHIT HOW DAFT CAN YOU BE

\]

You need to run 5ghz wifi at 40 or 80 MHz bandwidth for decent wifi speeds. 802.11ac

Newsflash

The more wireless devices you have on the same channel, and the more that are simultaneously active, the more collisions you have because they cannot all talk at the same time. The devices then wait a randomly generated time and try to re-transmit. If the network is extremely congested this will happen too often and result in shit speed.

200 MB down? Get fucked soyboy

Buy powerline adapters. They use your house's electrical wiring to carry internet signal. You plug one into the router directly, and any other adapter you plug into the wall on the same electrical circuit receives perfect wired ethernet signal. They don't even cost very much, best buy you will ever make.