If there was a fire nearby and I wanted to protect my house from being burned down, would this work?

If there was a fire nearby and I wanted to protect my house from being burned down, would this work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QbDuBTWrU-o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Probably not

the best firebreak to protect a home is a 50+ foot track of well trimmed grass surrounding the house where no larger vegetation is allowed to grow.

this

t. enviromentalist

but grass is vegetation, which is flammable

don't plant trees or shrubs next to your house dumbass

the grass would carry the fire to the house, then set the house on fire

set your lawn on fire and post the results

sir

That shit'll melt and cover your whole house in what is essentially napalm.

is the tarp not burnig, or oes it not conduct heat? Cuz is a difference between throwing a potato wrapped in a tin foil into a fire, or a potato wrapped in asbestos into the fire

Good fucking luck getting 50ft of lawn in anywhere populated in California.

well quick search reveals they do in fact make flame retardant tarps… the firebreak idea is sound, but you cant have anything flammable w/i 50 ft… my idea for a wildfire proof (or at least resistant) home is as follows;

No, the best firebreak is a barrier made of alternating layers of gold foil and vacuum, plus possibly a few feet of osmium if you expect to be dealing with very hot fires.

No, the best firebreak is a Trump Wall.

as long as it doesn't melt, not only does it prevent from the house catching on fire, but it also prevents oxygen from getting into a potential fire inside your house

what the fuck

also, of osman doesn't protect a house, why would osmium?
youtube.com/watch?v=QbDuBTWrU-o

The tarp idea was imaginary, I was just saying I should be able to buy a tarp made of anti-flammable material and just throw it over my house

You'd be better to set a sprinkler on the side of your house where the fire is, radiating heat will pass right through the tarp and could ignite any poly-based siding/insulation.
Active cooling is the only answer to exposure protection.
t.firefighter

or
you can make your house in something that is not flamable
like concrete
or even stone
instead of plywood, cardboard and plastic like the retarded construction method you've got in merica

if the house is made of something not flammable, you might just get baked to death inside the house, even if it doesn't burn.

If you don't build with plywood & plastic, the building inspectors make your life hell.

hey guise build with stone lmao

The best way to fight fire is with fire so instead of the tarp just set your lawn on fire to act as a barrier from the forest fire

This! Build your house out of fire, then it cant burn down.

Gotta reinforce any vents or holes that embers can get through. You dont really need to worry about the outside as it wont catch as badly as the fire will when it gets inside tbh.

Depends on the speed of the fire and the fuel load. If the fire is moving quickly and there isn't anything right next to your house to burn (i.e., your neighbor's house) than yeah, this would probably cause the fire to pass over the house and spare it. But if the fire is moving more slowly or adjacent houses are on fire, the heat will probably overwhelm the tarp–if it stays intact it may prevent actual combustion, but it won't stop the shingles, the siding, plastic window components, etc. from melting. Smokejumpers carry portable shelters which are a similar concept, but again, they will let a fast-racing fire front move over you, but they won't keep you from being roasted like a turkey in an oven if you're in the flames for more than a couple of minutes.

Depends on the speed of the fire and the fuel load. If the fire is moving quickly and there isn't anything right next to your house to burn (i.e., your neighbor's house) than yeah, this would probably cause the fire to pass over the house and spare it. But if the fire is moving more slowly or adjacent houses are on fire, the heat will probably overwhelm the tarp–if it stays intact it may prevent actual combustion, but it won't stop the shingles, the siding, plastic window components, etc. from melting. Smoke jumpers carry portable shelters which are a similar concept, but again, they will let a fast-racing fire front move over you, but they won't keep you from being roasted like a turkey in an oven if you're in the flames for more than a couple of minutes.

This. House should be concrete dome structure, or a series of them. As a bonus, it will also resist hurricanes and tornados.

build it out of water tbh