Are we cyberpunk yet?

government surveillance has gotten pretty big, ass has the power cooperations hold.
the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. you can do alsorts of shady shit over the internet when in the past you actually had to go talk to drug dealers and hookers. sure we dont have androids and the abillity to plug our brains into computers, but we're closer than ever

Other urls found in this thread:

science.slashdot.org/story/17/11/22/1844247/the-feds-are-officially-cracking-down-on-basement-biohackers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no.

only a cia agent trying ti keep the masses unaware of reality would say that

Yes, we are. Have been for a long time. Any person that says no has no idea what they're talking about.

Sure.

"Hacking the Gibson is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced"

Yes

DysnomiaCyberPunk

based webm

On one hand:
No widespread body mods. No corporate armies. No useful AI assistants. No powerful nootropics. Urbanization is about the same.

On the other hand:
Cops stopping people to search their phones. A real, growing tech based counterculture.Weak AI is everywhere. The wealthiest new companies are all tech based. The US government is cracking down on home biolabs. Buttcoin.

I would say we're clearly on the way but we won't arrive for at least 20 years, probably more.

wrong. if there are “cyberpunks”,they are not here. tell me about your cybernetic implants/augmentations and you’ll have my attention. this is an imageboard tbh

well there are hearing aids and pacemakers

geriatriccyberpunk?
i was thinking chip implants, memory implants. maybe cybernetically enhanced arms, like jackson “jax” briggs from mortal kolbat,

[mortal kombat]

Wait what? What are they doing now?

If your anonymous your already a cyberpunk. It goes against the fabric of the clearnet where everything is monitored and controlled. Were passing memes of Adolf Hitler and lolies why people on facebook are sharing cat videos.

in some ways yes, but our entire society isn't what you see in the movies and in the scifi novels, more the prologue. give it a few years and the whole world will be like this

bump

science.slashdot.org/story/17/11/22/1844247/the-feds-are-officially-cracking-down-on-basement-biohackers

Don't bump , you cumguzzler. Contribute.

How far away are we from dream machines like in Paprika that can record and stream what we see and hear in our dreams?

Based

Nothing against genetically modifying bacteria or fungi at home yet right?

we have ids you dumb fuck. ive put in my two. bumping the life back into this thread.
bump

tbh the 90's felt more cyberpunk than now. Back then you kinda had to know how to use a computer, dialup modem, terminal software, and get around in a unix shell account. Not everything followed same standard, you had to adapt to hardware and software. The Internet was largely a mystery, since the search engines didn't have everything. You had bookmarks, lists of links, maybe some shady ftp site someone on irc gave you… There you would find the usual "things" in text files or source code form: hacking tools, instructions for devices to make free phone calls, information about what systems to try and access on the X.25 network, advice on how to erase yourself from system logs and avoid being noticed by sysadmins… Basically a lot of very diverse and technical info, but so random and dispersed all over the Internet that you never knew what you'd find next.
Today it's the opposite: a google search will find everything in seconds. All the info and exploits are cataloged, and security is just another boring big business instead of a hacker subculture. And you don't even need to know how to use a computer or network, just click on some icons. You don't even get the nice sound of dialup modem, or the glow of CRT in the dark, or the nice ANSI graphics on a BBS, or even the way text scrolled onto the screen at lower baud rates. One click on icon and Firefox loads white paper "hacking" PDF so you can read their boring academic shit on stupid-looking widescreen LCD. It really sucks.
Hell, one of my first network programming experiences was an irc bot that crashed the SunOS server my shell account was on. Even something stupid like that can't happen today, so not even any good stories to remember.

What the fuck. How is it legal to stop me from creating my own medicine?

guaranteed replies

thx

I can not improve myself via gene editing or cybernetic augmentation, so no

are we cyberpunk yet? is an anagram.
brace weeny puke try
creaky puberty ween
wetback eye err puny
a buck reentry weepy
wacky buyer preteen
tbh

i was cyberpunk, until i found a gun.

long live the new flesh!

>>>/cyber/

This is my riced desktop from 2011, Thinkpad R40 with OpenBSD. This shit was cash, with 4:3 screen and nice keyboard, Pentium-M and 512 MB RAM, all devices supported by OS. Could even run Firefox well, now you need quad-core botnet cpu with gigs of memory. And pretty soon DRM shit everywhere…
Mostly just browse with Lynx/Links now. A lot of sites don't work, and maybe that's for the best.