I didn't see any learn2draw threads so I'm gonna make one, feel free to ignore it

I didn't see any learn2draw threads so I'm gonna make one, feel free to ignore it.

So I'm fed up with all the horseshit in modern comics/cartoons and think I could do better (because I'm an narcissist.) The problem is I have no idea where to start. Can someone link me to some pdfs/videos/whatever that are good for new shit tier drawfags?

pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

deviantart.com/
furaffinity.net/
tumblr.com/
youtube.com/user/BobRossInc
youtube.com/user/VZAAGE
floobynooby.com/pdfs/
8ch.net/loomis/index.html
springhole.net/writing/write-better-geniuses.htm
writingexcuses.com/
apophenia357.tumblr.com/
drawabox.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've been uploading stuff to our Volafile page.

We have a Volafile page?

Yeah, its the first thing you see when scrolling the front page in the share thread. A whole lot of stupid tend to forget to check the share thread first.

>>>deviantart.com/
>>>furaffinity.net/
>>>tumblr.com/
These are your options, choose carefully.

So I got clip paint pro since I noticed that all the weebshit artists I really like on pixiv use it. It's great in that my stuff I coming out like I intended, the downside being that I am realizing I am absolute shit at perspective and anatomy. Anyone suggest some good resources to study this shit?

>>>/loomis/
lrn2pirate

I unironically think Teekyuu is one of the greatest anime of all time.

Is that supposed to be a controversial idea? The pace and comedic timing are just about perfect. The bit sized episodes have the exact length needed to satisfy your need to be entertained without being so long that the joke runs thin. Teekyuu is fucking great.

Three artist to look up and learn from:
Loomis
Hogarth
Bridgeman

There you go, good luck.

Is she the grossest waifu or is she the grossest waifu?

Beginner books (drawing from accuracy to perform studies and check mistakes):

Anatomy books:

Perspective books:

The thing about the books is that you have to learn and apply the techniques you've learned so you won't forget it.

Best waifu this side of Marimo.

Thanks

You didn't even do it right

This is one of the most retarded reply I ever saw. You want to help? That's not how you help. You're just being pretentious. It's like someone looking for help on google search and the first 5 results are forum posts with replies saying "Go google it stupid!"

Are those also includes how to draw background as well?

As collector of rare HW I'm interested.

Much appreciated. Is there a book on animal anatomy? Like tigers, horses, house cats, and dragons?

For dragons there's this book I posted in another thread. Yeah its called Dragonart : How to draw fantastic dragons and fantasy creaturs by Jessica Peffer aka J "NeonDragon" Peffer.

Torrent?

What about horses? It's the most drawn animal in fantasy setting but drawing them is a bitch.

I don't have a book on horses sorry user.

I don't have a torrent. I got this book as a birthday gift when I was a kid.

For dragons, they're actually a combination of animals like horses, turtles, apes, birds, bats, etc. They're kind of fun to do once you know about animals. Drawing them is very good way to apply your knowledge about animals.

*ken hultgren

I have the book on pdf, let me see if I can find it so that I can upload it to mediafire.

As much as I hate the waifu shit I agree.

Oh well

Find it yet

Than you all the uploads

That one is not up

Is there Mega or PDF version for those books? Or there's only the dead tree version?

I found several books from Japan but I can't read Japanese text and they are expensive as hell.

Hoe much are we talking here.

I'll recommend Louise Gordon's anatomy books, and Betty Edwards' "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain".

I'll dump some links from my bookmarks that have helped me.

youtube.com/user/VZAAGE
floobynooby.com/pdfs/
8ch.net/loomis/index.html
springhole.net/writing/write-better-geniuses.htm
writingexcuses.com/
apophenia357.tumblr.com/

I'll also pimp How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way,

Blackthorne Publishing's How To Draw Robotech, How To Draw Transformers, and How to Draw G.I.Joe.

Antarctic Press' How To Draw Manga series

And OP, show us what you end up doing!

Around $25-$40 each. I was interested but unfortunately they never translate their how to books to English.

They released many books, some are pretty mundane like how to draw 46 background items but I think it will help a lot.

They look nice

Indeed, but they are not that thick. So that price is a bit too much.

There isn't a digital version?

No, because every book includes a DVD with how to stuff in it as well. Also it seems like no one want to get it just to ruin the book by scanning it.

I mean it can't be too difficult, grabbing a camera and taking some pics

Holla Forums folks tend to be very finnicky with quality. They prefer scan than shitty photo version. Also I'm a photographyfaq so I will not satisfied with just simple point and shoot pics. It will take most of my time.

Hey at least we'll have a copy.

add "anondraws" to skype and we'll add you to our art improvement group there. You will get the benefit of always constructive (non abusive) critiques and a knowledge base of users who are on the same path to greatness. it's a shared account so you'll be added eventually. Git in and git gud!

Is working great thus far I just started though.
How long it takes to get a stablished style, 8 months?

fuck meant to
I'll check your stuff nontheless.

Depends on how much you put into it.
Scott McCloud said it best in Understanding Comics, every artist starts with pure mimicry of their heroes, after that they begin reverse-engineering and discover the craftsmanship behind the people they're emulating. Then they discover their own voice and begin innovating.

My own advice is, don't stick to your comfort zones and you'll always keep getting better. Even Chris-Chan got a little better when you track him over ten years, even when he only brought out one issue a year. When he finally self-destructed, you could at least work out what he was trying to draw, when the first issue is so abstract you can barely work out what's happening.
On the other hand Questionable Content will never get any better because the artist is afraid of drawing anything that doesn't look like a Ctrl+Alt+Del page.

Not too sure if this going to be useful (might have been better on that now gone character model/design sheet thread or possibly /loomis or an animation board)

Stephen Silver (character designer guy) uploaded the original Kim Possible animatic which is basically the first episode done with "still drawings/key frames" type of stuff.

Episode starts at 9:50 while some nice character action poses can be seen after 20:46

While the start of this video has some minor stuff talking about character design for The Weekenders and Kim Possible that were used in old Disney Channel ad breaks.

Think about your fundamentals before thinking about style. It'll come on its own based on what you like and your shortcomings.

Well, observing the progress the user's made in four tries it seems like he has already some talent.

but then how can you prove he knew the fundamentals if he already has an style? I have never got this reasoning, soul one Always put a batch of their realistic works before putting the acctual pic he wants to show? otherwise how cna you prove he practiced the fundamentals.

Not really, we're just used to such shit artist this guy looks like a prodigy.

Are there any good books or videos on learning to enjoy the process of drawing? Recently I've found that I'm so caught up with speed and getting to the finished product that I don't enjoy the process of getting there, which in turn leaves me with a mediocre drawing by the end.

Sounds like you need some JOY.

painting is a little different than drawing user. Like sculpting, painting scenery can be therapeutic almost, but drawing characters, poses, composition, design… these are all require quite a bit of thought and effort and I can't help but find the process tedious.

of course, if you know a particularly good Bob Ross video that goes into this I'd love to watch it.

Does anyone here ever get that feeling that they are inspired when they first draw something but lose that inspiration as they continue to draw a certain object. This has happened to me before. I don't know why.

Painting and sculpting require a fair amount of thought and effort as well all these other things. You don't sculpt a greek god, a catholic saint, someone's bust or paint a major landscape without employing those same concepts (this does not apply to "modern" art - but then it's not actual art no matter rich liberal kids want to convince you otherwise).
People who do those activities struggle the same way as you do.
Also, don't worry about finishing a piece in one day in the beginning - work on each individually and as you get more proficient and things get easier you'll work faster by the nature of it and eventually even develop time-saving strategies.

If there's one thing I learned in life is that inspiration is overrated and unreliable because it's fleeting.
What you and should worry about is developing self-discipline and acknowledge that nothing is accomplished without hard work, and for a higher purpose you must get through what may be feel tedious processes in order to achieve your goal (which is building skill).
Building a skill is a slow process and you need to persevere if you want to become proficient at something that matters to you.

anyone got some good stuff on drawing backgrounds?

It's not Bob Ross, but you should try Jerry Yarnell - he's another of those half hour shows on educational tv guys. He goes into quite a bit more detail of how to figure out perspective and composition to make a picture work. He does more subjects than Ross and he's cheerful enough to keep it fun and interesting.

There's some of his stuff on YouTube.

Thanks user I'll just persevere and keep working.

Daily reminder that if you post a cartoony looking girl on /a/ you get a week long ban, repeated offenders could get longer bans, up to a month, I have yet to have a global ban tough.

Maybe you just need to get back to whatever made you want to draw in the first place.

I've seen that on deviantart.

Good that means its pure

I'm glad we're not beset by such severe autism

bump

At least post something of value.

That sounds like a stupid thing to get banned for.

Just going to throw this out there right now: Don't start by trying to develop "a style". Having "a style" at all is the last possible thing you should do. You may hate me for saying this, or feel like I'm trying to tell you what to draw. You can draw however you want, but by learning the fundamentals, everything else becomes SO MUCH FUCKING EASIER

Practicing the basics and the fundamentals, understanding the principles of form and composition and perspective with build up the muscle memory and train your brain to more easily translate thought to lines. By the time you have a firm grasp on these things, drawing things in your own "style" will be so absolutely easy that you'll want to kick yourself for insisting on doing things wrong this whole time.

Good advice. Though my problem is that I get frustrated trying to read from a book. Most of them just don't give you enough details on what you're suppose to do sometimes. So you gotta really pay attention to the pictures or else you'll mess it up.

Yeah, unfortunately people who are good at art are not always good at writing.

any advise for a guy who does not know where to start, the only free time i have is on the train to school, but i was to start because i know 3d modeling, and it is hard to model without concept art.

This seems like it'd be helpful. Use this to decide what to work on at train time.

bamp

cough

Hello?

Delete this

you'll never EVER learn to draw

The How To Draw Manga series is especially good in the beginning, because of Fred Perry's tutorials. It's good for starting out. Also worthy of note is Ben Caldwell's Action Cartooning.

I'll reupload some art and cartooning books to the Volafile to go with the writing books.

It's not like Japanese, with drawing even with the simplest stick figures you can still communicate.

Why is Nsio so based?

I think the general Drawing thread as reached the end of its useful life and I think this fits better here… for the past year I have been drawing only one pic, only one fucking pic and I have no idea how it should look like, a few weeks ago I posted it on 4chan's /ic/ board, I have asked for help before on several other boards I really didn't wanted to go there but nobody else on any other board helped, /ic/ told me what they always do:

But they never told me what I did wrong, I strongly believe that the whole pelvis are is wrong but I need confirmation of it and a reference, I could just leave it like it is and move on but I really want to learn the proper way.

Just saving a potentially useful thread from oblivion.

This is what you've spent the past year drawing?

it looks right to me, but why spend a whole year on it? also can you post the one without the green circle?

but yeah
how many hours do you spend a day?

I have drawn it and re-drawing it a lot of times and I refuse to move on to other drawing until I know the correct way it should look, to me practice is pointless if you have no clear what is the true way something actually looks.

it looks perfect to me, but then again, i dont know how to draw.

fuck off abusefag

What are some good books that cover drawing a wide variety of things and expanding ones visual library. I spent all my time learning the figure but now I find I don't know much else.

I've posted this elsewhere here in 8ch, sorry if it's annoying. Do feel free to rek me.

Looks like shit, sorry.

Buhump

i'll bump this

So is there nothing I can do to try to save this drawing?

I refuse to believe it.

You'll never improve with that attitude, sorry.

But what if I ever want to make the same pose, same angle?

What about this quick sketch?

The way to improve is to fail and learn alot in the process then start anew
Your new drawing will have a foundation that is better than your last drawing and will become better faster

If you want to draw you are going to create thousands of drawings in your lifetime, there's no way to improve quickly if you let them drag on like this

Delete it all and start again?

Why do you have to be such assholes?, I feel like I'm on a nightmare.

Because you don't have a thick skin. Life is a bitch with few little times of Bliss. It's better that here people hurt your feelings and not when you try to use your portfolio to get a job or get admitted in art academy.

Stop bitching, keep drawing

After 10+ hours of real work I just wanted to draw for fun, I am already tired and frustrated enough at my almost 29 years.

You only say it is shit but not WHY is it shit!

Also if I keep drawing, I am just going to keep making shit after after shit because I don't know how it actually should be done!

Hey faggot, you're still improving, even if you're doing it slowly, if you keep drawing. Your RG drawing is shit because you're so focused on it, you can't bother to study actual fundamentals or practice with different things because you're a retarded fucking autist. You'll find that if you come back to something you've been working on after working on other shit, you'll find it much easier to do.

You cannot improve if you have no idea what the fuck are you doing. You are just making shitpic after shitpic

You fucking faggot, yes you can, even if you're making shit after shit, your new shit is at least better than your previous shit. If you have no idea what the fuck you're doing, then fucking LEARN what the fuck you're doing.

I think we all learned something from this thread my Boyes.

It looks plain. You don't know how to use light and shadow to create a sense of depth. That's why the cyclops creature is unappealing.
Start from that.

Also before to do something ambitious
drawabox.com/
(even in there you can post your work in there and they will tell you with more gentle words what everybody here is telling you)
Do the exercises in there. Then you can learn from Loomis and an anatomy atlas. It's about millage. Improvements in drawing are slow as fuck, don't get frustrated because of it.

It was supposed to be the same shading of the show. its ok though I gave up.

Nobody ever liked my drawings I dont know why they never removed them from Paheal.

Nigger, your shit was decent enough, but there's nothing you can do to improve your one singular picture without improving your base skillset.

Here are my 2 cents, I think the hate in this thread just went way overblown.

If drawing makes you feel stressed to the point it affected your self-esteem, your job, personal life, etc. Maybe it's time to look for another hobby.

There is no point in feeling miserable all the time, specially if you are almost a man in his 30's

Please repost your shit art user I need a laugh

Relax faggot, road to success is paved with failures. So what that a bunch of anonymous people laughed at your anonymous post on a small board on an obscure website. It happens to everyone sooner or later, and every time you show your art, writing or whatever to someone you must be able to deal with that happening.

Nightmare is how you get good.

Just google rule34 Images for "Sinisterzerpent " and/or "Nowhereman" and have a blast you mongrel.

These anons get it
Don't get fucking discouraged. Develop a thick skin and keep drawing