Is this show a social commentary on the inherent misery of the working class?

Is this show a social commentary on the inherent misery of the working class?

Yes. However, unlike Communism, it's funny.

I always thought it was the comedic version of Death of a Salesman, which definitely is about the misery of always being in the hamster wheel chasing money.

It was more of a satire of sitcoms about ridiculously happy and functional families like the Bradys and the Cleavers.

Oh boy if only the misery of the working class was portrayed correctly.

It was the Eighties in the United States. This was actually possible then. Reagan was dismantling organized labor, but many of its benefits were still intact.

What else, McDonald's wage slave could actually afford to live in a penthouse?
I smell bullshit.

To be fair, he probably only had a nice house because he was deep in debt in order to get it. I think he even had a mortgage. Not to mention, they never had food.

This show is about Peggy being hot. Don't you dare question that.

And they were living in a state of absolute misery and class imprisonment even with all those material advantages. Did you even ever watch it?

Oh yeah, dude lazing around at work all day every day.

Such misery.

she was too processed and trap-lookin for my tastes

Why even labor tbh lads

The wife mostly just refuses to work, and there's always jokes about the kids starving, and Kelly whoring herself out, with some episodes changing weather they live in a shitty neighborhood or not(not the only thing that changes, just look when Marcy's character flipflops from a cold Republican banker to a PC tree-hugging feminazi).

Nice Digits!!

Yes. Back in the day, they'd show how reality is, through comedy, so you can project without having to deal with it. That's the point of comedy since Aristophanes. He was showing the Athenians "Our Democracy is shit and you'd even have the worst of men to lead you, if they promised what you want to hear" and they'd just laugh it off.

Nowadays we have South Park, Bojack Horseman and so on, but do we have anything like it? No. Cause now, if they showed these stuff.. well.. I don't know how much people would accept it before getting "offended" cause it dares to show them "reality".

Also, the point is:
He has no point in his life. He's married and has kids instead of having his dream come true, the worst part being, he just might had it. He's wife is hot and so on, but he's bored of her… And basically it's a critic of "the American dream". He has a stable job, a house in the suburbs, a pretty wife, 2 children, a dog and all for what? To come back at 4 and watch TV?

And that's capitalism.

It's amazing how well this show predicted the future even if that was not its intent.

Even the SJW liberal things like feminism (Marcy) and Al being accosted by fat women at his workplace. I remember Al was also a part of some MRA group which was ridiculed constantly.

Ye, it was the episode where they appeard on live TV with mask and so on, with Marcy's boyfriend, and in the end they lost and back to status quo.

You put it better than any other way I could, user.
Just spot on.

I was watching a rerun where Marcy tells Al that he should respect fat women "because that's their choice". And that was fucking 1994.
National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood!

South Park ain't bad, m8

All has a house.

He has a wife that always wants sex and doesn't cheat.

He has a stable job.

Dammit, Al was living the dream- that show was the idealized world that unskilled labourers can now only hope to aspire to.