Haven't kept up with what's been going on with android for a fair while...

Haven't kept up with what's been going on with android for a fair while. Only now hearing about cyanogenmod going commercial and a bunch of devs leaving for other projects.

What exactly is the state of Lineage? Has it all gone to shit?

pic somewhat unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

icr.org/article/vital-function-found-for-whale-leg/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why did they put a skinny girl with a small frame onto the legs of a whale?

Pretty much the same as CM was at, minus several kikes
There's a Lineage build even for my six year old phone but I'm too lazy to figure out how to backup/restore freeotp credentials to upgrade

It's not that important, really. All you need are root, custom recovery, and a clean build of android with all the bloat and spyware left out. Devs have been doing that for a long time and nothing's to stop them from continuing. As far as fancy custom roms go, there have always been more choices than just cyanogenmod. And lineage seems to be moving right along, anyway. It's even avaiable for my 2014 era $100 phone. The cyanogenmod "company" was just leeching off the work of a lot of hobbyists. I don't miss them in the least.

What's a recovery that enables lineage automatic updates? I'm using twrp 3.whatever and I have to do them manually

Because it's the best.

Doesnt really matter.
Anything related to Android is contaminated by pajeets anyway...

I'm on Lineage, but that was just huge turn-off.

You don't sound any less engrish.

Whales don't have legs.

Lineage is actually pretty darn good. It lacks theming, and some of the really obscure models of phones were dropped, but overall it's a very worthy successor to Cyanogen.

I'm using it on my Zenfone 2, and battery life on Lineage is considerably better than under the stock ROM.

Also lineageos isn't rooted by default, so you have to install a root utility if you want that. It's trivial though, not like rooting it for the first time.

The state of phone OSes is shit. iOS is nearly impossible to jailbreak nowadays, and if you do jailbreak, any mistake will lead you to have to restore and consequently lose your jailbreak. On the other hand, Android is made by a one of the worst companies and has the most cancerous UI. Sailfish OS is decent, but is very limited. At this point it's time to start from the ground up and ditch the botnet.

How so? I think Android's stock UI is pretty decent (daily reminder that Samsung's crap UI is not pure Android). And you can always install alternative launchers to override much of it.

icr.org/article/vital-function-found-for-whale-leg/

I actually am a britbong. What are you blattering about?

You reminded me to check on the progress of Plasma Mobile. Looks like they removed the plan to have .apks compatible. I was hoping I could move off of Android and still have Waze. The OSS nav apps are, at least in my experience, terrible.

How trivial? I've never attempted it but may well try when my new phone arrives (going from ios to android).

just flash 2 zips instead of one. (IIRC)

Can confirm

In my experience you had to go through proprietary software or binaries made by forum users, am I wrong? Should I trust them?

It all depends if your Android phone already has a custom recovery like TWRP on it.
If your new phone arrives as usual -- with some manufacturer's Android + bloatware, a locked bootloader, no root, and a stock recovery -- you have to go the whole route: search the internet to see if there is a sane, reliable method to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, install a custom recover, and install a custom rom. And the critical thing is to make sure all of that exists before choosing a phone.
What I meant was, if lineageos is already installed, then all of that work has already been done, and re-rooting the phone is trivial.

I would trust the root utilities (and most other things) on FDroid before the ones on Google Play Store.

Well it's a xiaomi r4prime so it's a grey market import. I'm finding some resources through jewgle but we'll have to see when it gets here whether or not I'll be able to root it.

XDA Developers is a good place to check.