Ive noticed that anime tends to have a different opening each season...

ive noticed that anime tends to have a different opening each season, while American shows tend to have the same opening throughout the series. what shows change their opening throughout the series?

Jake Long American Dragon. And it's not just the opening but the artwork as well.

That's mostly because of marketing deals, each opening song is cover for some random band which pays royalties that allow more funds to pay for the animation.

Cartoons don't really require that type of advertising though you'd be lucky enough if a modern cartoon had a intro. I would personally Justice League, Ben 10, or any action cartoon really. On the plus side, a cartoon intro can really be truly made for the show while a anime's intro has to work with the song they're given. Though quality is a major contrast.

The worst offender is Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin. It was a long running series and so popular singers and bands actually want their song to be opening and ending for the series. Of course the quality vary from a bit relevant to jarring pop music while the setting is set during post Japan reform era.

To be fair, I found out about Bonnie Pink from that show. So the good with the bad eh.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force used to switch up their openings as a gag, didn't they?
And South Park keep adding characters to their opening. With Flash, that's probably less work than a Simpsons couch gag.

Star vs the Forces of Evil changes a single scene.

The artwork of the first season was a lot better.

Interesting, Janna is on the royal family side while that parrot evil guy is on the human side. Is this a hint for something in the future?

i dropped this a while ago, is that lizard guy the same as the the one that used a suit?

No. The Suit Guy haven't appeared so far Unless you count his finder and the bone holding Ludo's hand

That means Janna is a Gypsy princess.

Anime has a tendency to go longer than western shows. In terms of western shows you have the Simpsons(which has the same opening updated), South Park(which did update, but kept it similar), and a couple of Seth McFarlane shows(which kept it the same but updated).

There are probably ten or more times as many long runners in Japan. Some keep it the same, some don't. But there are more that have the option.

Refer to here, the Japs have advertisers they need to satisfy -

Question: Why western animation rarely got or looking for advertiser backup? I mean anime always mention their advertisers up front like it was nothing. Imagine shows like Young Justice sponsored by McD and Nike or Power Puff Girls sponsored by Nestle or Dairy Queen. It will help cover the production cost.

I'm guessing sponsors doesn't give a shit about cartoons in the west, so they always depend on bug chains with channels like Disney or Warner Bros.

Or toy Comercials

The new TMNT cartoon has different intros for the 4th and 3rd season I think. I think the 4th season intro changes after they come back from space.

I love TMNT in space. Broader world, more colourful places, interesting characters. Kinda a waste to return the turtles to earth afterward.

After reading the wikipedia page I think the Shredder gets his final duel.

There may be some regulation against that.
I know it's illegal to show advertisements for tie-in merchandise during the commercial breaks for the show the merchandise ties into here in a way it's not in Japan.

I always loved that intro. Even if the cgi hasn't aged well.

Changing the intro every season just seems stupid to me, epecially in anime where the pace is often slow as shit so barely anything happens in a season. Best to keep one song with perhaps the visuals changing.

Eh, it's just a different market over there.
You're also generally expected to have read the manga first, so when an opening updates, it updates with spoilers for the things that are going to happen.

Anime changes openings every season/cour because they feature the "hottest" new bands that are popular with the young people in Japan trying to get people that like the band to watch the anime and people that like the anime to buy the band's single.

In the west openings are short and unimportant, since they want more time to air more commercials. Also there's no market to sell the opening songs, almost nobody really gives a shit about them except people like Holla Forums and nostalgic people trying to get the complete song of that cartoon they really liked a long time ago.

Yeah I can't recall if any shows in the west have openings that are sold.
Like, besides maybe Friends which was so popular they had to write a second verse well after the fact in order to sell it, creating the contradiction of "no one told you life was gonna be this way"/"your mom said there'd be days like this"

Back then we did, now we dont.

Makes me wonder if the same reasoning was used for the teen titans opening.

Hopefully

RED LASER, BLUE LASER

dubs here is the best GI Joe intro ever.

It is

Man how the times have changed

Those different intros and all I can see is an attempt to promote all their toy lines. Also why Tomax and Xamot always depicted as part of the fighting troops? They are supposed to be businessmen who supplied funding for Cobra. Also in the third intro they realized that people are complaining that there's no one dying even when it's a cartoon about war so they created robot Cobra as "acceptable" war victim.

Those Cobra soldiers don't even bother carrying a weapon. Also if they want to destroy the statue why not bombard it with missiles from their flying glider thingy?

It was great I always wanted the characters in the show.

How was the show after the movie?

At least they explored it though some designs i do question

I love that show.

It had its moments

Dragged on in the middle

Missiles are better.

Foes it hold up?

Does*

Got the link?

TMNT 2003

Sure here's one.

Thanks

I wondered what Lord Drax really was. At first I thought he was a bug alien but at the end you see his head get knocked off and it implies he's a robot? What was up with that?

Maybe he's both.

True. Still makes me wonder about his backstory.

Maybe something different, you can't introduce a planet with a mind and face without doing some heavy mental gymnastics.

What a underated show.

There was plans to bring it back

Didn't they have a kickstarter? Whatever happened with that?

Yeah, im not too sure I heard they gave out some animation cells but that's it

I think it is, and they may even have similar legislation elsewhere in the world.

Though it's not like there aren't anime that work exactly like that as glorified commercials; see Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh, et al. And Transformers is a co-production that's been on both sides of the Pacific. Hell, Gundam had a series that was literally about model kits.

Should be notable that most anime intros are songs that rarely have anything to do with the show itself, except maybe some vague romantic themes, but when anime gets the 4kids treatment they always rewrite the theme song in the Western style as a vaguely expository theme. (If not making an entirely new one from scratch)

I think Sailor Moon is one example where the original theme seems to be more Western style, and the dub's version is more or less a translation rather than rewrite.

Almost all anime songs are specifically made for the show.

Not advertisers, but record companies. Nowadays record companies are often part of the production committees too.

Some artists are famous, but I would say most aren't. Some may become famous–at least to some degree–through their anime music, and some seem to have little presence outside of anime music. Then there's songs performed by the voice actors, which are very common. Record companies don't want to promote just their most popular artists, and if an artist is already very popular then it's wasteful to feature them in a late night anime over a lesser known artist. The anime ecosystem is so vast that artists can be just "anime famous" and don't need to be known to the mainstream. Daytime TV and mainstream theatrical anime seem to be where the most popular artists are featured.

That's sounds horrible

It comes and goes

Did anything ever come of that?

I had heard they got their funding, but I have not heard anything since. It's just as well, I would prefer the swatkats remains as it is. Can you imagine what current year audiences, and studios would do to this show? I also think that even if the show got funded it wouldn't matter because today's cartoon artists are not capable of matching that quality in a timely manner.

Fuck I just saw on the wikipedia page something is planned for February 17 of this year. This will not end well I just know it.

Calling it now, it will be animated in flash.

Probably

Wow that would be waaay worse than what I imagined.

What did you imagine?

The only negative aspect of the record industry's involvement in anime I can think of is that sometimes an anime gets saddled with opening/ending music that plainly doesn't fit it. But that's rare, and really trivial compared to all the positives.

I just imagined some really stiff, and sub-par animation with bad voice acting, and ham-fisted political drama. Adding flash on top of that just makes it worse.

Such great openings. The synthed up voice just does so much for it.