Why the fuck is FireFox so much slower in Linux than in Windows...

Why the fuck is FireFox so much slower in Linux than in Windows? I just booted up Windows Shitsta for the first time in a few years to play an game, and the decided to check 8ch in windows instead of booting back into linux and FireFox is significantly better.
Why is this? and is there a non-shit browser that works well in linux??

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/en/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You have to force hardware rendering on Linux, it isn't enabled by default. Still runs like shit compared to everything else though. I like qutebrowser as far as alternatives to firefox

it's not, you're just retarded, take your shitty browser thread back to >>>/4chan.org/g/

It's not firefox it's the hardware support of the GPU.
Firefox and all web browsers now relies a lot on the GPU/hardware acceleration.
The drivers on MS platform are good because it's nvidia and amd who makes their drivers wit the corporation of MS in the process.
They have the source of the firmwares they have the manuals they have everything to make it work correctly.
For Gnu/linux support Nvidia doesn't give a shit and makes shit drivers even tho they have access to everything to make it compatible and work correctly.
Theirs only the nouveau driver that proposes drivers under a free license and they have to reverse engineer to make the GPU work, they have no manual to help them.
AMD decided to make a pseudo free drivers that requires mandatory blobs in the linus kernel to work but they have a good performance now.

It's probably very related to the fact that you haven't touched that vista install in years. Firefox used to be a lot less shitty and bloated in older versions.

My problem with Firefox on Linux is that it's a fucking memory whore. With some 150 tabs open it uses roughly twice as much memory as the same setup on Windows. I have never been able to understand this.

I hate how these shill threads never get thrashed

Because it's GTK-based :^)

b-but GTK is g-good

Firefox is slow. I use chromium on gentoo and it works great and is hassle-free with ALSA (can't be said of firefox). Conkeror and qutebrowser are also options, with their emacs- and vim-like keybindings respectively.

How much memory are we talking about here? 150 tabs is huge and with a few youtube tabs that'd be insane.

The fuck

Can you back your argument with numbers? My wild guess is no, but other can try, because i don't use Windows.

I remember 2 years ago when I could run 300+ tabs (20 of them youtube) open in Opera 12 with 2GB of RAM. Good old times...

trisquel.info/en/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob

RUST

Firefox downloads Cisco blobs unapologetically even in 2017. Your point?

I checked with the debian bug tracking and the messages are from 2015 saying that "bug" was fixed. I know gentoo devs wouldn't let this slip into the main tree and the wiki if it were the case still.

nigger

In my experience FF is quicker in Linux except for the one thing of opening up the fucking emoji picker on a youtube livestream

The didn't even use the word chrome.

Yep nobody ever mentions how bad Firefox is with ALSA.

Firefox sucks now, use a browser based on webkit/blink.

Brave, Opera, Vivaldi etc.

It's slow as fuck on my Windows and Linux machines, all of which have modern CPUs. The problem is that it's garbage software to begin with.

literally no.

Well I mean, I don't know any GTK programs that _are_ fast, except leafpad is somewhat acceptable.

The situation is quite opposite user... i dont know what distro are u using but you are doing it wrong.

Use Otter Browser.

Test