What do you guys think of the idea of turning a Apple Macintosh Quadra 700 into a home server...

What do you guys think of the idea of turning a Apple Macintosh Quadra 700 into a home server? The Apple Macintosh Quadra 700 is the first Mac to have an included ethernet port.

You can install fedora core 3 on it.

Waste of watts
You're a fedora core

As a hobby project, sure. It has 68 MB of RAM and the Fedora Core port was last updated in 2005, but you can probably do something with it.
But if you want to have a really useful home server, get a cheap single board computer. It'll be much cheaper, much more powerful, and much more energy efficient.

this, but get orange not raspberry if you want it to have a hard drive

Pic unrelated.
I do that with my nintendo wii. It runs the latest version of gentoo and will do so until they stop supporting the 2.6.32 kernel at which point i'll stop being lazy and port gc-linux to the most recent LTS.
Anyway the home server shit works just fine and my only issue is being unable to use it for anything network-intensive because the network card can only do 512KiB/s throughput, which normally translates to 300-400KiB/s with overhead and an imperfect signal.

go back

Cool, a portrait monitor. Back when people understood that vertical is more important than horizontal for work. Before the cancerous "ultrawide" meme.

But, at this point, the only sensible use for an old-school Mac is to run old-school Mac programs. I think there's a handful of good Mac-only games from companies like Ambrosia and Pangea that never got a PC port.

I don't give a fuck about the watermark, I'm going to bully the shit out of you, faggot.

Nah I'm the one who's bullying yo.

PowerPC makes more sense if you're trying to build a botnet-free home server.

An old 386 or 486 is fast enough to route traffic for home LAN, so this Mac can probably do the same, assuming it has MC68030 or 040.
The nice this is, no botnet. You can't be sure about that on ARM SBC or anything else recent. It's possible we just haven't found the backdoors yet.
You can probably run NetBSD on it too. And it's probably good to diversify your systems, and run something unusual on router. Most attacks will target Windows, OS/X, and Linux.

Also this picture makes me want to turn my laptop sideways. I hate widescreen so much!

That pic is kinda true tho.

Maybe with A/UX?

This. Old hardware is simply inefficient shit. Just because it's slow doesn't mean it's low power. Newer budget chips will run six times as fast for a fraction of the power draw.

The cases are sexy though. Beige plastic never should have gone away.

Not to mention even if the older hardware is lower power it'll be spending much more time doing the same thing while the modern cpu would be done and underclocking.

You're assuming the guy is going to run modern software on the old hardware. That's just stupid. Modern software is dogshit.

No its not. My ASA 5510 has a 1.6Ghz pentium 4 and it is limited to around 200-250Mbps. And thats just at the edge of the network.

Why not Linux/mac68k?

Why not install System 7 on it and sell it on Ebay for $250 (assuming you only have the computer and accessories and not the monitor, otherwise add $50 more.) then profit off a low-powered board?

Software is dogshit.

So what, I'm limited to less than that. If you want fibre link and run servers and bitorrent and shit, you're gonna need more. But old machine is fine for a lot of home LANs. It'll be safer too, since no botnet.

Same guy?

i used a psp as an ftp server for a while but it was too damn slow to bother to keep using it. just get a raspberry pi or you'll regret spending your gay ass time with a pc that uses an a4 monitor like its some fucking xerox clone.