Seriously, why did this get made? Is anybody out there nostalgic for Troll dolls?

Seriously, why did this get made? Is anybody out there nostalgic for Troll dolls?

Other urls found in this thread:

kisscartoon.se/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Based on the trailer, I think it looks like a fun movie even though it seems like the target audience is turbo casuals. I'd like to hear opinions from people who have actually seen it though, I haven't heard any discussion whatsoever.

It also doesn't appear like it was intended to appeal to troll doll fans, or even people who know about them. Looks more like the trolls idea just made a cute concept and there's nothing more to it, I could be wrong though.

It feels like they saw potential for it to be MLP meets Smurfs, also 80ish IPs

Really, judging by large amounts of licensing deals, it could be all about brand recognition, as minor as it may be

They hit a goldmine with toys for How To Train Your Dragons, and with that well starting to dry up, they are eager to continue mining for Toy Gold.

It was to sell toys. That's it. The quality of the movie itself really did not fucking matter in the least.

WHY SPIRIT?! WHY RUIN THAT OF ALL THINGS?! THE HORSE CRAZE DIED YEARS AGO ANYWAY!

It was cute enough movie
Good animation
Music was good
Made only to sell toys to a new generation
Will be soon forgotten until inevitable sequel

Or Netflix series

What, MLP?

Wait, they're making a captain underpants movie?

Yesir

To
Sell
Toys

From the trailer it's like the typical "Girl have cooties" and "too cool for fun" tropes. Boring premise but work for children. Also they rely more on the star power. I'm not saying I'm hating this movie. It's pretty much perfect if you need a movie for your kids, or your sibling kids, or kidnapped kids.

Also of course there will be inevitable rule34 of them both.

Horse is still favourite ride for rich kids or people who can shell some money for 30 minutes ride.

I hate this. I hate everything about all of this.

I'm a Norwegian American. I prefer to call troll dolls "little quislings".

It makes it easier to pallet the gross bastardization of my culture.

The filmmakers sure seem proud to have a barefoot "ugly cute" princess

I can understand being pissed about god interpretations and admittedly a little with how they portray trolls here. Especially with how the bad guys look more like actual trolls. But it's not a huge deal if it's just a troll they're fucking up.

And they have the Trollhunters show

It's easy for Americans to say that since it's a new world and most of the ancient lore came from Native Americans and we all know no one give a fuck toward them. The old world care more because it's aleady part of their culture growing up.

I suppose you're right. America's a big melting pot full of different ideals and cultures. Most of them become forgotten or tainted over time.

You mean the tongue-in-cheek "girly" stuff?

The blond kid grows up to be a faggot.

What is it about Americans and fucking up trolls?
Can't you just call them goblins or ogres instead?

I'm pretty sure trolls don't exist in Islam.

He's Norwegian. Not Swedish.

Least those guys have rocky skin and covered in moss and shit.

Maybe "troll" is more endearing

wow lad

The word "Troll" roll in the mouth better. Goblin sounds a mouthful and with the word Ogre you have to open your mouth wide to start the word. Just try saying those words out loud and you will get what I mean.

Can't you be a little less triggered?

That bottom picture looks fucking ancient. I bet if you took a more modern one it would be very different.

Plus "ogre" reminds us too much of Shrek.

Hvor har du gjort av støttekontakten din, söta bror?

English isn't my native language, so I pronounce troll differently. I quite like the sound of ogre tbh

Norwegians should do more fantasy films based on their folklore. If this and Thale are any indicator, it's a recipe for success.

Is Denmark Norwegian?

Is Tibet Chinese?

There's a lot of unused potential for some spooky fantasy for sure - would be a breath of fresh air from the standard ghosts in American films.

Never forget ;_;

Man we used to make shit like the original Evil Dead trilogy, and the first Child's Play and Nightmare on ElmStreet. Nowadays it's all just fucking Paranormal activity demon possession wannabes.

It's like you have learned nothing from media's manipulation and even Holla Forums who do the same thing of cherrypicking information.

Tell me again how true Communism has never been tried, or how Sjw are not real leftists, or how you believe in biology but not believing speciation and subspecies apply to humans somehow.

Looks like you overdosed on your red pills again. It's almost as if Holla Forums is a religion to some people, all I had to do is mildly suggest that Holla Forums isn't perfect and you immediately assumed I was a koolaid drinking communist SJW from Holla Forums.

Your counterargument is to argue more about pol?

Is this Mass Effect?

If you're not a Communist good, but your the one who brought up Holla Forums in the first place in a thread that should be used to bash the shit quality of modern films, and discuss kickass Norwegian folklore.

You're*

Filename thread here I come

He said that a picture about norway and sweden don't prove nothing here

I’ve been working on a story about a government task force that has to deal with paranormal crime here in Norway – tourists getting mauled by nøkken, a group of archaeologists disturbing the resting place of a Norse warrior who comes back as a draugr, &c.
Sorta like Ghostbusters & Troll Hunter, only with all kinds of paranormal fiends, and some social commentary: new beasts that doesn’t naturally belong in the country have been introduced in the later years, so now you’ve got vampires, ghouls and shit wrecking havoc – vampires would represent Negroes – they make up a tiny fraction of the overall population, but commit an overwhelming amount of crimes and murders, and Hollywood pushing vampire+human relationships.

Little too subtle m8, I only just understood.
This is sarcasm

Oldschool folklore like that would be cool. People are somewhat familiar with stuff like sunlight turning trolls to stone, and iron burning fairies, but I wanna see more things like vampires without bones and kooky shit like that.

Looks like a nice movie, actually. Would give it a watch.

I'd like to see films go back to the actual folklore for their monsters - like having vampires being able to endure sunlight and stuff like that.

Also, there are so many great monsters out there to use, and it's all vampires & werewolves all of the time.

Worth a stream or torrent, at least

Youkai Watch actually did pretty good with that concept. It's like Pokemon but with Japanese Youkai monsters. The anime is less about action and fighting and more about wacky hijinx or gags though.

I really like Trollhunter. Any of you anons know of any films like it but about stuff like Kelpies or Leucrota?

The fuck's a Leucrota? Looks like a jew horse.

It's a retarded Hyena Donkey that mimics human voices to trick people into ambushes and to fuck with their heads. It has a single bone in place of a row of teeth for the upper and lower jaw allegedly.

Jesus. Almost sounds like a pokemon.

Well, damn, dreamworks are just money-hungry pigs who are looking to adapt anything now.

You know I kind of want to see a show where a Van Helsing type character goes around hunting or dealing with mythological monsters around the world.

Yeah, I wish there were more stories out there that properly drew from folklore. There is a lot of interesting shit and weird creatures from central Europe, like the Elwetritsch or Rübezahl.

I dabbled a bit in German folklore for a story I never wrote. Great stuff.

You should check out the first season of Supernatural, that was pretty much that. Don't bother with anything after that, though.

H-hey, user - do you need a lead actor?

They revealed images?

so do they fuck

Because the Lego movie was popular. So now studios are scrabbling for other toy related licenses that people feel nostalgic about.

What kind of message do this movie try to tell? that stupid senseless happiness is the way to go?

Weren't kelpies some water horses?

The goldmine these days seems to be the thing that kids, manchildren, and nostalgic adults alike can get into. It worked for super heroes. It worked for Star Wars. It worked for Lego. Everyone is looking for that thing.

Everyone deserves happiness

When I saw those trolls I remember Mimi from the Drew Carey Show and her collection of trolls on her desk.

Stop appropriating & bastardising our folklore for your financial gain!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I bet you've never even been to Norway, Yankydoodle.

Ha ha get it? It's a depressing song begin sung by happy colorful characters!

LAUGH GODDAMN IT! LAUGH!

The actual joke is cut off; he's annoyed with her singing and asks for silence, so she gives him the sound of silence.

Also the part when he took the guitar off her hand, then throwing it into the bonfire.

Prøv igjen, user.

We can all use google translate.

Da kain du jo prøv å oversætt det her da, din skampulte hæstkuk.

There was some HUE cartoon that featured a singaporean vampire.
I'm not sure which kind of vampire, because the vampire girl was able to split her upper half from her lower half, and had fucking fairy wings, and was vegetarian. Go figure.

Singapore's got some crazy shit, aswangs I think are vampires that occupy small human villages and will protect their village by feeding on thieves, vagrants, or other such criminals, at night. During the day, they're social butterflies that actively help the community, but they're always seen as having bloodshot eyes because they never sleep.
Then there's the one that separates it's head and organs from it's body and floats around feeding on unborn babies.
There's female apparitions that latch onto young men to haunt them.
Also, I believe they're called "Toyols", these are the child spirit of a human fetus summoned through black magic and used to steal money or jewelry, although their description is terrifying, Malaysia has produced a film that mocks the myth by turning the horrid undead fetus into an alien-green boy in a film called "Alamak Toyol!"

All of these lovable cartoon characters look disgusting. This world desperately needs someone pouring gasoline all over it and applying a match.

We're all very impressed.

Marketing thought so.

Such quality writing.

It's not just Singapore, those monsters are all over South East Asia. There's a Thailand TV ad that show some of them (hilarious too)

Dreamworks purchased the Trolls brand a while ago, along with Peabody and Sherman/Rocky and Bullwinkle. They own them outright, and these movies were a final, desperate attempt to justify those purchases. Both are flops (a shame in the case of Peabody and Sherman, I thought it was decent.)

The movies were in development long before the buyouts

Did this flop?

Peabody and Sherman is pretty decent but the finale is a bit too typical.

Not sure, probably made money from the toys

It's at $325 million right now, which would be good in any other context. If this were released by any other company, $350~$400 million would have been break even point. But Dreamworks does not distribute its own films, it's paying a percentage to a third party to do it (Fox in this case). A larger portion of its box office also comes from foreign territories, where they get less of each ticket sold. Finally, Dreamworks is in debt and borrows money to make these films, which means it's paying interest.

Through their own actions, they've set the bar unreasonably high for themselves, only to play third fiddle to Disney-Pixar and Illumination.

I haven't seen his acting in recent years but I've seen pics of him in recent years. I want a good actor but I want Brendan to get his shit unfucked so I will give him a chance. Though Viggo Mortensen is good too.

The Comcast buyout may have solved most of those problems

They just need to stop spending so much money on the movies themselves.
Trolls has an unreasonably high level of detail, literally every surface is fuzzy like felt, that's a lot of cost for little payoff.

Not yet, because the Fox deal will be in place for a while, and budgets have been set for some films in development.

The big unknown is how Comcast sees this purchase. Do they want to rebuild DW as the Pixar/Disney competitor, the prestige studio it was always meant to be? Or do they run it cheap like Illumination, doubling their CGI releases every year? If it's the latter, DW may seem very redundant very quickly if they don't produce the kind of hits Illumination has.

Keep in mind that Illumination has had 3 straight movies that sold more than $800 million each, and it's looking like 4 after Sing. On average, their movies sell $200 million more than DW, on 40%~50% smaller budgets. As a movie brand, DW is facing a different set of problems now. They may even end up producing only shows for TV and streaming, which I'm betting is why Comcast bought them.

Damn it

Fuck! I thpight that was a dream I had!

Dreamworks bought the rights to trolls
Giving dreamworks an in to dat toy money

Yet Hasbro didn't buy them

My daughters want to go see this garbage but I don't think I'll get to take them.
So I'll buy the Blu-Ray instead. Is it too bad? Barbecue if it's total garbage I'll try to take them to the theatre. If I buy them the Blu-Ray and they like it they'll play it every day.

First 5 season of Supernatural are good. After that the show exists beyond the what the creator originally planned. The episodes making fun of their fanbase are pretty good as well.

Goddamn man, just let your daughter enjoy children show as children show. You don't need to bring manchildren opinion on movie like this. People here set the comment on angry mode as a default.

I'm chill, I just don't want to have the same movie playing over and over for 2 months. Has happened before, it sucks when the movie is bad, it sucks even more when the movie is good. Because if it's good I end up hating it anyway.
Pic related, I've seen it at least 40 times, now I can't stand it.
But if I take them to the theatre instead I won't have to buy the home video release. Since it's unlikely that I'll have the time, I guess I'll try hard to take them anyway, maybe if I work a half-day next Monday.

How about you buy them a modest TV and some headphones? That way you won't have to drive yourself insane making this determination with every movie.

I watched this on Kisscartoon, alongside Storks, Sing, and the first 30 min. or so of Secret Life of Pets. They're all about as mediocre as you'd expect, though Storks had some good laughs. Trolls ending with the little girl appeal princess hero being crowned queen was somewhat surprising. Maybe that's why they didn't market her royalty.

*as royalty

I'll wait for one with better quality

Look, that's the risk of parenthood. Even your parents and other parents before you also suffer the same thing (and at least DVD doesn't deteriorate like VHS tape) but it's all worth it. Your child is going to have a childhood, and carving it together with dad and/or mom will become part of her happy childhood memory. 20 or 30 years from now you will plop in Tangled or whatever movie they love and you will remember their happy laugh when they watched the show.

So yeah. Be patience, just endure a little bit, let children be children. Because in the end it also help carve good memory into your mind as well.

Or just give your kids books

Didn't that site go down?

I found kisscartoon.se/