Since there's no good solution to make good 2D using 3D software and I need a solution for my own games...

Since there's no good solution to make good 2D using 3D software and I need a solution for my own games, and since I'm starting to learn opengl and 3D computer graphics, I've made a document where I explain all the requeriments I need as a 3D artists and 2D artist to mix both worlds in a 3D solution.
I suppose people here would be interested into my ideas.
I think many of them could be possible to implement in blender, but I don't see them in any 3D software, since they came from my 2D experience with diferent 2D software.
Pls rate.

docs.google.com/document/d/1t2J63EI_WfcPbff3X3hEi--7GB1WN9W6pTOVthX-OH4/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuPNSyztkHPqV-M4ePSmN_2BLhONu0WLg
youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY
2danimationsoftwareguide.com/
3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td18962
3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td18106
3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td29655
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kys OP

I rate it a GoogleDocs/Botnet

gno

In Blender:

1) Link/Append File
2) Timeline, Armatures, NLA editor
3) Lattice modifier
4) Auto smooth + edit normals modifier, select faces -> flip normals, blend4web addon
5) ???
6) Bezier curves support animation
7) Obviously yes
8) No, but freeform drawing should be post-production step anyway
9) Use paths
10) Add a taper object to your bevelled curve
11) Dyntopo sculpting? Z-brush sculpts are bad enough topology-wise, but voxel sculpting would be even worse.
12) Editing topology on the fly is bound to be a horrible idea and will run into all kinds of problems.
13) You can transform overlaid textures based on depth/normal data in compositing and animate the properties of your compositing nodes.

And of course Blender has the Freestyle edge renderer.

OP here.

Not really, you're missing my point.

I'm talking about about doing 2D in a 3D space.
Like if photoshop used voxels or some shit like that.

You can still do vector graphics, not pixelated stuff, but you can go pixelated if you want to. Want are you trying to make?

More liek this?

If you want to use computers to save anime, I don't think 3D is the way to do it. Although not to the same as extent as occidental animation, like all 2D animation, anime is significantly non-Euclidean: Features that look the same from multiple angles, features that move around objects purely depending on angle, proportions that shift regardless of position, mismatched scales, much of the exaggerated squash and stretch, etc.

If you're at all interested in the technical side of anime I HIGHLY recommend watching the following panel presentation on its technique and evolution. It's a bit over an hour and a half long, but very good:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuPNSyztkHPqV-M4ePSmN_2BLhONu0WLg

Design style aside, using 3D often means creating a lot of detail that isn't essential to a given scene because it's obscured or distant. And then animating it demands meta-information like materials, inverse-kinematic "bones", soft/rigid body distinctions, and similar.

To be sure, these disadvantages become advantageous depending on your stylistic goals: If you want highly dimensional, solid geometry and animation, and reusable or similar looking high-detail elements, it's obviously great. But even the state of the art in "using 3D to fake 2D" from Disney/Pixar leans WAY more heavily toward the 3D side by technical necessity:
youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

The correct approach would be to focus on the most expensive and least artistically demanding part of 2D animation, inbetweening, and leave as much of the rest of the process intact as possible.

As you can see from the following list, automatic freehand tweening is so neglected as a research subject, the primary feature of today's digital "animation" software for freestyle is simply to make inking and painting each frame easier:
2danimationsoftwareguide.com/

Currently, there are two basic types of software that I suspect could be drawn from for a solution. One is Flash and its ilk, which rely on 3D-like bézier curves, which means either extremely labor-intensive modification nearly every keyframe for freestyle animation, or falling back on "paper doll"-style "limited animation" using separate objects for fully automatic tweens. The other are Elastic Reality's descendents, which can automatically generate hints for "morphing", that are then easily edited, but due to the arbitrary nature of the bitmaps it operates on, it has little information to guess similarities between keyframes. By combining vector-based drawing and some kind of pattern detection, with the primary focus being the minimization of human input for hinting keyframes, I think the full capability of 2D animation could be brought down to a similar budget and production speed compared to modern 3D animation.

Google docs = instant trash

It loads limbs (legs, arms, chest) as a 3D object
You can animate by keyframes those limbs and have them interpolate, setting up the movement arc with a bezier line.
You can squatch and strech those limbs by a simple lattice, like 2D transform tools
You can set up the normals of such 3D meshes in a custom way, to paint them like a 2D brush, saving diferent angles of the normal angle (also saving diferent angles based on diferent keyframes) using a sun light you can rotate (like marmoset toolbag).
You can somehow edit the invert hull mesh (maybe a vertex shader?).
You can draw bezier lines, to have drawing etching and lines that would be too hard for a software renderer, saving them per diferent angle of the camera view, even erasing them in some angles, also per keyframe (disney paperman).
You can edit such bezier lines.
You can draw such bezier lines like SAI (drawing software pen tool).
You can join two bezier lines and make them into one.
You can edit the bezier line witdth per node, like SAI
You should somehow have some voxel meat, to be able to paint stuff, like a 3D photoshop brush, maybe look up zbrush.
This voxel meat maybe could be converted into a mesh (optimization?)
A sculpting brush (zbrush move brush) that works on vertex and per angle and animation frame.
A way to have overlayed textures in the camera view, again, depending on model angle and animation keyframe.
A separated specular light, to customize it, separetedly from the difusse light
Each specular is basically a circle that is projected againts the voxel skin
You can have more than one specular and settup the radius of the specular
The animation gets rendered multiple times per each angle (in a circular way, like photogametry of real objects) to render a 2D bitmap (this is to make the game simply renders a 2D texture rather than a 3D model, like many normal map demoes where a 2D sprite reacts dynamically to a 3D light. Having said that, there would be a setting of how many pictures the players want to render, like 2D SNES RPG where 8 directions were rendered of the animation, or doom, that uses 2D animations in diferent angles to imitate a pseudo3D. Of course there would be a way to compress the file having into account many pixels repeat between pictures.
There’s diferent export textures, one for the shadows, other for the difusse, other for the specular (several specular) that indicates how the sprite rendered react to 3D light.
The resulted multiangle rendered sprite, will be rendered as a simple texture depending on it’s camera angle, to have a pseudo3D.

The right one is good

Where can I download free anime characters for use in Blender?

Just a guess, but the facial expressions must also consist of a large number of rigged features for any character model that isn't designated for use in a video game FPS.

You actually made something. You are better than 99.9% of Holla Forums now. Don't get salty, at this point you are still a proper cunt. You built in shading into the texture map I think. Perhaps you can remove that for a more convincing head turn?

Never mind, I found a site already.

3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td18962

And where you got the OP model

3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td18106

OK cunts, fuck you, I'm off to make dank fash memes

3d.nicovideo.jp/works/td29655

MMD models are the best place to start.

What is your favorite for MMD. Is there a Asuka model? I've seen Rei dance.

Bump

I'm shocked that MMD isn't more popular

I'd like to get the old band together and use make models of Ebola-chan

All the plebs, holy shit

this
saged your shit thread OP
kys