Windows 10 S edition only allows Windows Store apps

Microsoft is releasing a new edition of Windows 10 that takes their restrictions to levels previously unheard of. They're hitting full "freedom is bad for you" mode.

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
archive.fo/ecA9E
And if you do need freedom for some reason, you can just pay for it.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq
>Who is Windows 10 S designed for?

Other urls found in this thread:

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
archive.fo/ecA9E
aka.ms/browser-security.
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/08/microsoft-sponsors-two-nss-reports-ie8-is-the-most-secure/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

S for Stupid Goyim.

2017 will be the year of the linux desktop

ftfy

Not if they don't get their hardware situation sorted. Somehow more expensive and useless than before.

S is for Shekels

really?

I hope microsoft keeps trying to stick their schlong up more people's asses.
Maybe then it'll be the year of the linux desktop.

You are blowing this out of proportion, as the quote says it's targeted to schools only

Students are usually prohibited from installing anything anyways on school hardware

I should have posted more. If you look at the context you'll see it's not just schools.

Daily reminder: No competent Holla Forums user ever WANTS it to be the year of the *nix desktop. You get some pluses, muh drivers, but mountains of useless users you'd rather not have in your community. It's like having a wonderful village in the German country side with population 2,000, hoping for the "Year of the German village", and then 10,000 "Syrian refugees" from Africa show up.

I'd like it. There would still be elitist distros and communities free of that. Most Ubuntu users right now aren't terribly competent, but that doesn't bother me either.

TempleOS desktop millenium. It was made to last 1000 years!

Imagine looking back at your life and realizing it was all spent creating an Operating system that no one will ever use. I'm sure the Germans have a term for profound sadness by proxy, that's what I feel thinking about it.

But his operating system gets used quite a lot. It's one of the most well-known hobby operating systems. There are actual forks, and third party software ported to it.

One of its purposes is being a fun hobby operating system to mess around with and write games for, like a modern Commodore 64, and it's reasonably succesful at that.

Maybe he'll get rewarded in the afterlife.

Not him, but yes. In the past it used to be that for 1000+$ you would get upper class hardware by notebook standards and there would be hardware update about twice per year. There was obviously Apple tax in the price, but people paid it to get the software that just werks. These days they sell hardware that is outdated the day it launches and updates are like once in two years with no price adjustment. Just look at how many items are marked as "Do not buy" on the Mac Buyer's guide: buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

So was the third reich, and we all know how that turned out

Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2013. It's just sad what they're doing. Apple have more cash on hand than the UK and Canada combined, yet they can't even be bothered to go back to their roots.

Because the average user doesn't know jack shit about computers and only needs a Facebook machine. Why not remove the IT headache of the user fucking themselves over by downloading malware riddled programs because "my friend told me it was safe xDDD".

Normies have a simpler computer, help-desk support gets off easier and everyone else remains unchanged.

This is exactly why the iPad and other tablets have a lot of appeal. Took me quite a long time to realize that a normie would want at non-complicated computer.

Normalfags and wincucks will defend this.

Normalfags ruin everything.

This is your future.

I never understood that way of thinking.
"hey, let's hide the Filesystem and shit from the user, so all files seemingly only exist inside their corresponding application and transferring files becomes needlessly complicated as the user needs to dig through countless directories to find where shit is saved"
If anything, these 'conveniences' make shit a lot more complicated

Because you're on Holla Forums. Go talk to a normie girl about "file system" and ask her if she knows what that even means.

Did you know that Apple switched the file system for their iOS devices from HFS+ to APFS recently, and that MASSIVE change didn't even make the iOS10.3 release notes. That's how little their users care. The actual update was done in place, with the final step performed atomically in case of a power failure.

FUCKING FINALLY!
This is really good news for us. This means Valve is going to start dumping a shitload of money into Linux pretty soon. AMD's open source driver stack is going to catch up to proprietary Windows drivers, and more gaymes are going to come over as well. On top of this, all of the companies that offer SAAS (Like Photoshop these days) are going to start looking for a way to escape the Windows Store.

Also
Ayy fucking lmao. Windows Store, like all the other app stores, is full to the brim with proprietary malware and botnets.

This is just the first step.
After microshaft succeeds in forcing software restrictions it'll be the time to force hardware restrictions as well just like Apple does, then the open pc platform as we know today will die, say goodbye to buying your own hardware parts and mounting you pc. The botnet will become 100% inescapable.

I would like that.
But only if the distro year of Gnu/linux is 100% free (no blobs etc...) which of course isn't gonna happen.

Preaching to the choir but here goes a quick debunking of the:
Introducing Windows 10 S
press release by Microsoft
>microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
>archive.fo/ecA9E

Corporate buzzwords and almoist certainly meaningless, but should mean that it out of the box is:
* Secure, and thus without spyware
* Fast, and thus without pre-installed
I will here focus on the security aspects of their claims.

In other words, you are incarcerated in Microsoft's jail, and is only allowed to use software recieved from them.
Microsoft Edge is your default browser since it’s more secure than Chrome or Firefox.1*
>1* According to NSS Labs reports at aka.ms/browser-security.
Pdf related 1 and 2 are the NSS Labs reports Microsoft refers to.
Pdf related 1 refers to an NSS Labs report on the efficiency of Phishing blocks in three web browser on Windows 10 enterprise between 1 October and 12 October 2016 (11 days): Google Chrome , Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
The phishing block rates were as follows:
Edge: 91,4%Chrome: 82,4%Firefox: 81,4%
Pdf related 2 refers to an NSS Labs report on the efficiency of the web browser protection against "Socially Engineered Malware" of three browsers on Windows 10 enterprise between 26 September and October 9 2016 (13 days): Google Chrome , Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
The block rates against "Socially Engineered Malware" were:
Edge: 99,0%Chrome: 85,8%Firefox: 78,3%
As I see it there a few problems with these studies:
1. They were only conducted on 1 OS: Windows 10 Enterprise
2. They are not representative of the people using computers in general
3. They do not discuss using addons to enhance security, like adblocks, NoScript, etc...
4. They span a short time (less than 14 days)
5. At least one previous test by NSS Labs including Internet Explorer 8 was sponsored by Microsoft: arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/08/microsoft-sponsors-two-nss-reports-ie8-is-the-most-secure/

The Cloud is newspeak for doing computation on other peoples computers. You could do the same using OwnCloud.

LOL tell me what's a blob? Oh no wait, just got a snap. LOL OMZG TOTES CUTE XXX

okay. okay. let's disect this holy shitpost
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what thing that can be attacked is being secured? a hard drive from being physically copied? programs from being stack smashed? my SMB and shit from being exposed to the internet with no authentication? no nevermind everything is just more secure somehow

when i was a 14 year old script kidde me and everyone i knew made fun of windows defender because it was one of the easiest antivirus products to bypass. also im still mad that UAC exists

not to mention phishing is only 1 out of hundreds of classes of threats (CSRF,XSS,endless supply of problems with HTTPS,stack smashing,flash,pdf,removal of privacy,side channels, etc) that exist to browsers
lol. this is your typical computer security study:

woh da fuk are you

Sounds like you're just clueless.

consider that if there was a huge userbase, the distros that cater to them would introduce technology or make decisions that compromised freedom or sucked extremely badly for the 'convenience' of the normies(and/or their wallets or to please alphabet soup), such that the autists would all be forced along for the ride by everything now depending on these godawful/unfree systems.

This is aimed at schools in particular, not normal home users, right? You can probably rely on that happening if they try to push this on everyone else, though.

So, there I was, trying to help a normalfag friend to copy some shitty pictures over to his computer.
tap for more:

in the end I managed to access the phone's filesystem from the computer via USB (MTP mode, PTP mode, charge only mode... where's the "let me access the fucking phone's storage as mass storage mode"?)
Then it was only a quick search to find out where whatsapp saves downloaded pictures

yea, that was convenient and not bullshit in any way

I hate to be that guy, but it's true that Apple was Steve Jobs.
Now it could be called "Samsung" for all you know. Apple disappeared long ago.

What the fuck is Apple doing?

Every laptop comes with OEM stuff from the manufacturers. Buy HP get a shitload of sensless .exe in your taskmanager, same goes with lenovo their synaptic shit is impressive sneaky, it seems to survive diskwipes .
What angers me most, snipping tool.exe, what a useless piece of shit software, no hotkeys , almost no custimization at all, but preinstalled since win7 or 8.
Then because of store fees, no more free programs, ever.

Linux is going to have a very good year.

Microsoft is now on par with apple. People that are serious about computing avoid apple for good reasons.
Now they have no reason to go Microsoft.

Fucking retarded move.

People are put off apple because of their treatment with the Iphone (no aux cable, etc).
They're tired of paying for an overpriced, overrated product.

This isn't 2010. People use social media more than ever. They know that apple and microsoft are invading their free use of their products. And linux now has a strong android base.

Linux is going to have a good year.

( ^▽^)っ✂╰⋃╯ tbh

You said it yourself you dumb nigger. Kill yourself, Androids are the easiest to transfer files to/from.

I have never seen a single person using a microsoft hardware device they keep putting all this shit out for such tiny gains

yeah, no shit, that's why I install Linux Mint on relatives' machines and don't give them the admin password. lol at a win10 machine actually not shitting the bed just from microsoft itself fucking with it, i'll believe that when i see it.

said every year for the past 20 years

normal people would sooner ditch computers alltogether before they went to linux.

Edge is definitely more secure than Firefox or Chrome. You can't ever get driveby'd if you can't render any pages.

...for now.

>Who is Windows 10 S designed for?
This actually makes sense though. How many times do kiddos fuck up school machines, just for lulz? Locking them down to appliance level means less work for school admins fixing them. And no unauthorized Free software for kids to learn. Gotta churn out more compliant gatesbots!

Fortunately, there is huge distro fragmentation in the Linux world. Normalfags would stay on their Plebuntus, while we would have our comfy Arch/Gentoo/Devuan/whatever communities. With the same underlying system stack, porting drivers and software between them will be easy - while porting normalfags won't. Just as it should be.

No. It's purpose is being a temple.

That's another purpose, but it's not the only purpose. I talked a lot to Terry. He deliberately designed it for easy low level access, for being easy to crash and easy to reboot, and fun to write games with. None of that is really related to God. There's more to it than that.

no, just 95%. buy a lattice fpga board and implement/obtain a soft CPU (e.g. leon) to run linux.

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY

Or maybe low-level access is itself godly?

much better than a little chunk of transistors that you cannot inspect or change. there exist free (as in freedom) tools to program fpgas.

How do you intend to inspect the transistors your FPGA is made of?

Ok. If you're so convinced that everyone's going to spend more shekels to program backdoors into an FPGA, you could always buy a bunch of transistors and implement some free CPU like SuperH yourself.

Not easy, but possible, and that's the original point I was trying to make.

Yeah. At 2MHz and >$10000 in parts. Do you even know how many transistors it takes to build a processor?

It's not necessary to make one as advanced as a factory-built one. The "professional" CPUs contain many unnecessary features such as pipelining. Not to mention, building a RISC cpu like SuperH takes far fewer transistors than a CISC one like x86.
The point isn't to get something for bitcoin mining and password cracking. It's to get something for processing highly sensitive data.

I never got that impression. For Terry, godliness is about creating entertaining things for God.

Try running modern Linux on a primitive, non-pipelined processor at a usable speed. Also, at the low end of core complexity, the most complex, silicon-heavy part will be the MMU (necessary to run Linux). We're still talking on the order of 100k transistors for a minimum Linux-worthy processor.

Godliness has many aspects.

I doubt schools will go for this. Allowing only certain apps make administering them more difficult. It's safer to just disallow any software installation from any source

BSDs. Minix. Old versions of things.
Look, I never claimed that building a CPU is easy. I just said that it would be *possible* to run a very basic system.

unix-like systems or even (god forbid) dos-like systems have existed at a time when processors were that shitty. it is definitely feasible to make your own cpu and computer.

You don't need to "install" software to run it and wreak havoc with the system. Remember it's fucking Windows we're talking about.

Why would you even be using windows in 2017? Serious question. The superiority of Linux is very clear.

It always was. Normies don't care.

Same shit. You need an MMU and some base level of performance.
I thought we were aiming for security? What use is ancient software with ancient security holes?
possible =/= feasible
very basic =/= usable

Did malware, botnets and "Russian read: NSA hackers" exist too? Back in the day, systems didn't need to be bogged down with security so much.

sure malware has always existed. the reason you have to type './script' in linux is because back in the day (public multi user systems) people would drop a script named ls in your home folder: you would login, ls to see your files and be running THEIR script instead of /bin/ls or what have you

Software compatibility is a good reason. If you rely on software that doesn't run on Linux you don't get much of a choice.

Start with Atmel AVR microcontroller. Building a CPU from scratch with just transistors is insane. You can use as many microcontrollers as needed, to offload tasks. You'll have to write all the code, and design the circuits (years of work), but at least it's doable to have a Unix OS run on that hardware.

Why would you even be writing software for windows in 2017? Serious question. The superiority of Linux is very clear.

Because most of your potential users run it.

Hen/Egg problem:
People use software made for windows (Adobe everything, muh games, MS Office).
Thus, all those people use windows, resulting in a very high install base (>90% of PCs).
Therefore, developing software for windows is more lucrative (hundreds of millions more potential customers).
The circle comes to a close, people use software only available on windows, keeping them there.

It's the twisted mirror of why Windows Phone (and all those other fringe mobile OSes) failed:
No apps = no users
No users = no reason to develop apps

Fuck this I'm getting Linux.

Stayed with Windows as long as I could but I'm done now.

I hope microshit rolls this out to all windows pcs. That would mean linux would get more viruses though.

Sometimes if want something done at all, you have to do it yourself.

what

someone else suggested using something like an FPGA which could implement an entire CPU with pipelining and shit (J-Core). But other guy said "muh backdoors, muh pozzed hardware" so the only way he would be happy is to design a CPU... and then "muh difficulty"
you only get normie-tier shit if you do not put in a lot of work.

Its Microsofts attempt at competing with Chromebooks. Its a web client based OS

Don't like pesky little inconveniences like reality stop you Freetards from dancing in Pajeets shit though. Its easy to win a game when you're the only ones playing

Seems like Microsoft has been infiltrated by saboteurs.

user is implying that MS would destroy Windows with such a move, thus GNU/Linux would gain users, thus becoming a more profitable malware target.

There's a way of escaping that infinite cycle: Windows becomes so shitty that users and devs migrate elsewhere. It seems like this is the directions Microsoft has decided to go in.

oh, so in other words...
>Windows 10 S was inspired by retards for retards :'^)

>it's targeted to schools only
aka. the place where you learn. ya know, about computers 'n shiet...
or has it changed that much since i've been...

>advanced security

I think this is actually a good idea, pls hear me out...

Windows 10s is not for students because they either use macs or play video games.

the s is actually for Seniors. seniors only know how to install toolbars for their browser of choice (edge or ie). but they only do this on accident. and those pesky toolbars get in the way of watching the fine bros on yt or their whore of a grand daughter on Facebook. this version of windows being cheaper will most likely be packaged with the crappy hardware that these seniles will buy. this essentially show that windows is shifting their target market to 55+ ppl that don't have a 'tech savvy' person in their family to explain where these popups of naked people come from.