I noticed a couple weeks ago that FF was running a bit clunky but over the past week its been fucking internet explorer...

I noticed a couple weeks ago that FF was running a bit clunky but over the past week its been fucking internet explorer tier with noticeable lag when switching tabs or doing simple things like clicking a text box to enter input. I thought it was just me but other anons confirmed they are experiencing it too.

I also have a real piece of shit laptop in addition to my desktop, FF always ran like shit on it so I run chrome on it. Comparing the two and their use of resources FF seems to be hogging about 150% more ram that chrome does.

I would say I noticed this happening about 3-4 weeks ago with the past week being much much more noticeable.

Can any of you guys verify? Im not finding any malware or anything like that and with the amount of ram that FF is using.. Have they begun digging through systems? Thats the only reasonable explanation I can think of for so much ram being used. Unless FF had pooinloos rewrite the entire executable.

No pics related so enjoy a photo that turned up in a Holla Forums dig thread.

Dead on arrival.

This happened to me recently too, I noticed my CPU usage was ridiculous with firefox. I did a firefox refresh in about:support which removes all customization and addons, and started making all the tweaks I made again. My problem ended up being that I had forced hardware acceleration since firefox doesn't use hardware acceleration on linux by default. So basically it runs like dog shit no matter what I do now. I switched browsers until sjwzilla fixes their shit

From my own experience, Firefox always had this issue, using a lot of ram and whatnot
It doesn't happen to everyone though, and that's the biggest mystery
There doesn't seem to be a solution, or it would've got its shit together already, so switching browser is probably the best way
If you still want to use something like Firefox, try Pale Moon (available on ganoo+loonix too) otherwise pick your poison with webkit-based browsers

Firefox's performance is so utterly pathetic on low-end systems I've taken to waiting the 12 hours it takes to compile chromium on them. Can't even play standard-def VP9 in FF, and I'm getting tired of copypasting every video into mpv.

Is this slowdown seriously because of the switch to Rust? That would be rather inglorious.

I noticed 8 years ago or so that FF was running a bit clunky.

Is it hooked up to your hardware for acceleration? VDPAU etc? I wouldn't know since I stopped using firefucks years ago and I don't watch videos in browser since there's no browser with good video support in the first place.

I use FF on Linux and I have not noticed anything. My version's pretty recent (52.0.1) as well. The one slightly weird thing was a single website (that of a newspaper) which made CPU usage jump and stay at a constant, above-average level. No JS or Flash, just HTML and CSS. The moment I clicked away from that tab, CPU usage fell off. Click back, leaps up. Strange.

52.0.2 here and it's fucking horrible, memory usage is off the fucking charts, going to about:memory and cannot clear any of the used memory, so when usage gets high enough it stutters like fuck and hangs just when switching tabs or when a thread updates, hell even hovering over a tab to see the title will make firefox hang
there are times when firefox will start using upwards of 30% cpu for no clear reason and then it stops on it's own
it's infuriating

Firefox ESR (Tor Browser) works perfectly smoothly for me, it does hog memory but it's nothing extreme (stays bellow 600MB). My machine has first gen i5 with 4GB memory.

I was using my netbook yesterday and Icecat was chugging along just fine. I hadn't updated it in a while (at least 6 months) so I did so last night. Now Icecat takes like a whole minute to boot and another minute to load the catalog here. It's completely unusable. I've never seen such a performance decrease from an update ever before.

strange. FF for me ranges from hogging 600mb to 1.4 gb was the highest ive seen it. And I never have a shit load of tabs open.

Fucking tf2 takes up less ram

Firefox runs like shit for me on Linux, Windows and OSX. Using Chromium now.

There are a few things I can think of:
- Tor Browser is based on ESR 45.9.0 so this is an older version of FF
- TB blocks some things by default so this probably has some effect as well
- I always restart the session after I'm done with certain activity (this is for privacy/opsec purposes)
On the other hand I regularly run multiple instances of TB at the same time (compartmentalization) so the memory hogging is x2 or more. It only becomes an issue when I throw VMs into the mix.

Just updated to v53, apparently it was a high priority that the mozilla team add a fade effect when you have enough tabs open to cut text off, so now the text on the tab appears to fade out towards the right edge of it.
Why was this needed? Who even wanted it? I have a hard enough time reading text without it being fucked with by fancy effects.

it's for hipsters approval. there are people who only judge (((apps))) by their design, unfortunately.

This is low-end 8 year old hardware with an Intel IGP, there is no VDPAU, VAAPI or even XvMC. The CPU is fast enough that mpv can do 720p60 video and youtube standard def works fine in Chromium, but Firefox absolutely sucks dicks in terms of performance and most videos get stuck on one frame.

Because the previous behavior (ellipsis) was truncating UTF-16 surrogates in tab titles and they were too lazy to fix it properly.

So that's what that is? I thought it was my WM and Firefox not understanding each other. It looks like a misplaced window minimization effect on a tab.

How many addons do you have installed? Have you activated multithreading?

Firefox runs perfectly fine on my Core Duo, 1 GB Windows Vista laptop (or at least as good as it can run in such a piece of shit), so I really don't get all the "hurr, ff sloow. Use chrome" fags.

Are you a literal shill, or do you do it for free?

You should not be using FF above version 28 because that was when they let the women in their design depart make it look like a chrome knockoff (as if chrome doesn't look like shit as-is). Either switch to PM or use wget.

Just this morning, I saw memory usage was fucking ridiculously high, I check my task manager and see firefox's RSS was >8gb and VM-Size was >10gb. I went to about:config and searched for brower.cache.memory.capacity and it was set higher than 10 fucking gigabytes. Why the fuck is the cache so god damn high? More importantly, why is it keeping so much shit in cache that it nearly maxes out? I can't clear the cache manually any more, it gives me a fucking error when I try.

I'm glad someone else has the same issue, I tried searching around for it and got nothing.
For the moment I've reverted to using regular Firefox, but I hope something gets done about Icecat. It seriously was unusable.

Can verify
Started using Chromium with firejail

Firefox runs like dogshit on OpenBSD. It used to be ok, but they fucked something up. Anyway they fucked the interface too, and hid all the configuration stuff because they're SJW and love to shove turds down each others throats.

plebs

I've been using Midori for 5 minutes now. It's amazing, so stable. It never cras

This thread really needed bumping to shill for Webkit Frontend #397968703178, thanks.