Self Expression and Force of Personality Lead to Degeneracy

More specifically, the desire to express oneself solely though the force of their own personality, without adherence to objectively measurable aesthetic qualities and mastery, is the very core of what you'd probably call degenerate. You can apply this to just about anything.

One does not need to be a virtuoso to make music, right? It is true that anyone can pick up an instrument with limited knowledge and still make a decent tune. However, I find that in these times, sheer personality and self-expression are valued over achieving any kind of aesthetic mastery.

In music, there are notes that go together beautifully, chords that compliment each other. Consonance and dissonance can be used to make something that is objectively, aesthetically pleasing, and such sounds can be examined and explained why they are pleasing.

However, we often find ourselves or the people around us focusing not on the aesthetics of their creations, only that it feels good to them, and that they are putting themselves out there. Complimented with actual mastery of the craft, this a great thing. Alone? This is what leads to garbage music.

Just look at the entirety of modern art. I suppose you can Modernism in general forsook any kind of aesthetic quality to the work, focusing instead, again, on the sole expression of oneself. While a blank piece of paper may move the easily impressed heart of the artist, what aesthetic qualities are there to speak of? What techniques or mastery can been seen or felt by those that see it?

It's not just the arts this applies to, but human beings as well. The world can deny it all they want, but there are qualities that we find in ourselves as well as other people that are objectively attractive, almost universally. It's just a matter of to what degree each individual finds a certain trait or characteristic attractive.

For instance, though your attraction to someone may not hinge on this alone, people tend to like a woman that fits a certain frame, is not foul in her speech, yet witty when challenged. Everyone can appreciate a woman who is kind, well-mannered, and modest. It screams 'This person could make a good girlfriend/wife/employee/co-worker/friend/caretaker/whatever it may be.

As such, some societies have standards for what a man or woman ought to be, what they find conventionally attractively and aesthetically pleasing.

You can take Fat positivity and various aspects of Feminism as transgressions of this face. People are gravitating towards beliefs that condone their own inherently flawed behavior, accepting this as the end-goal of their existence, as if the human condition is only as good as the desires ever human personally wants.

So then, where exactly in Western history did our common love for aesthetic beauty, mastery, and excellence die out in favor of catatonic self-indulgence, and the idea that one should live their lives by the power of their own personality alone?

Thoughts, Holla Forums? Can we ever go back to better days?

And has artistic methods if done correctly
I still think about that woman shitting paint onto canvass as degenerate """art""" - that's the wrong way.
Grunge was the correct way - saying "hello people there's something wrong here", or "this isn't working clearly"
Basically something that has a firmer deeper meaning, not just bait for "look how degen I am" like the grunge scene turned into by the end of it's run.

I think we can in fact go back to better days. Those truths of aesthetics and standards you talk about are hard wired into us. I doubt they can be eternally suppressed.

Unless of course it gets bred out of us somehow.

Maybe you can start a board where people post and critique each other's musical compositions or artistic works and work to get better as composers or artists. Of course, 99% of people in general, even people here on Holla Forums, have no talent and in this pozzed culture would perceive you as a snobby elitist, so you would have to put up with pleb tier trolls who prefer pleb tier stuff and have no desire to work hard at anything.

No, but we can go forward to better days.

actually it's a pretty good point.
Faust has been a degenerate man until we was saved by Gretchen.
In a sense every man tends to be degenerate without the feminine part following him.

I actually do play guitar. I wonder how many Holla Forumsacks are musicians though

Why don't you create a /composers/ board, advertise it on Holla Forums, and find out?

Humanity is in an eternal flux, ever changing so slightly. In all individuals. Small mutations to the mind, small reactions to foods and to outside conditions. Perhaps there have been whole nations molded by the stress caused by the endless car traffic even…we wouldnt know for sure.

but things like civilization cycles, like r/K selection theory say that perhaps there are trends that may span our cognition, perhaps with every step that we take, we sometimes unearth the ground beneath our feet. Setting small pebbles loose and making our path ever so harder.

Perhaps the best way to view healthiness, sanity of mind is to aggressively extend a desire to protect our environment. To protect who, and how many we may see, to protect our light and sound spectrum (from traffic and artificial street lights even)

perhaps as you feel pain in your limb and react violently to the cause, you too should immediately react violently if a loud machine pollutes your neighborhood. if a somewhat too large circus makes residence there, or perhaps just too many goddamn people start to live near you permanently.

I am not sure, but I feel like as we have moved from the industrial revolution, we let go of the many, subtle ways that our environment was, and gave us sanity. Into an ever increasing clusterfuck of accumulated effects that drive us insane, even if our body is whole.

Perhaps some day, someone will recognize this outside need to protect your environment as much as you would your body from direct, mortal danger.

Guitar player, painter and lover of the classical arts here.

I agree with you OP, and the only way is for men of virtue stand up and up and lead by example. It is not an easy life to choose, but as Spengler said: "A good life is a hard life".

I suggest watching the video embedded. It's about objective beauty, how important it is to cater to our spiritual and moral needs and how love, which is to give, elevates us and how lust, which is to feed the ego, is degenerate.

As quoted by Plato in the video:

"Beholding beauty with the eye of the mind, you will nourish true virtue and become friends with God".

I would say lack of discipline, respect, inspiration, and loyalty (honour). Don't blame the well for the poison that was poured into it.

>waifu happens
Man is truly imbalanced and needs the "SHE" in his life. It is something beyond inspiration.

cancer is a desease and exists to any autonomous, self reliable body including the society we live in. It appears suddenly in very specific and limited areas due to an overall fragile body and spreads like a mad man.

op is a kike or a shill. i explain:

objective standards are created by the kikes to prevent individuals from creating alternative narratives and structures

hold your self to the highest of your own standards, and constantly improve your own standards to enhance your own aesthetic, and you will create something that is powerful.

modern art (early to mid-20th century art) does follow standards, tons of objective standards exist to measure the various kinds of abstract art from the period. photorealism arose as a counter to said standards. then more rules were created by the kikes to control that movement. the cycle continues

kikes love order, because the pyramid puts them at the top.

kaos frees the individual to pursue what is right because it is right, not because the kike tells him to obey

strengthen your own patterns

fantastic video user

great subject OP

objective standards are created by creation itself you mong. you don't understand what objective means

Except the people who are degenerate the most tend to be mindless sheep that follow the herd without any kind of opinions or beliefs of their own.

It's not the self-expression that's degenerate, OP. It's what's on the inside. Modern art is shit, not because of personal expression as a concept, but rather - what they are expressing is ugly. A man can feel any emotion and express it artistically, it's the self that determines how these things are expressed. Even across similar styles. Rock is a few simple chords and licks, but it's how it is expressed through the lens of individuality that makes it unique to the artist.

this

"self expression and force of personality" isnt the problem

the problem is these people just have shit selfs and shit personalities

why can't i post

Yes goy, don't take up any arts unless you'll be top 10.

Btw, there should only be 10 artists ever because we don't want trash.

By the way goy, don't be creative because you're worthless and you'll just bring the quality down.

Correct.

Anons who express this view are always the most stubborn, shallow, art-retarded, muh-materialist-science-atheism, niggers on the planet so I'm hesitant to actually get into a serious discussion about this for the millionth time but, briefly, no, there are no "objectively measurable aesthetic qualities". This is not the same as saying that there's no objective truth as to whether a piece of art is good or bad. Just that, whether or not value claims about aesthetics (i.e. "this is good", "this is bad") have objective truth values (I think they do personally), there are no empirical criteria (typically what someone means when they make reference to "objectively measurable…qualities") by which the truth value of such claims can be ascertained.

And no, "realism" in visual art or "complexity"/"mastery"/"difficulty" etc., in arts in which "realism" doesn't make sense, are not objective measures of quality. There's a huge amount of absolutely debased garbage visual art done at an extremely high level of realism and technical mastery, as well as debased garbage music that's extremely complex and technically difficult. There's also a huge amount of emotionally powerful visual art and music that's technically simple and/or not particularly visually realistic.

As notes, the quality of art has to do with what's expressed and how effectively it's expressed, or put another way, what's evoked and how strongly it's evoked.

Good art evokes things that are good and/or evokes in such a way that the evocation itself is good. The good itself, while objectively good, cannot be objectively measured or expressed by any conceptually, linguistically, empirically sound means, which is why we have fucking ART in the first place.

was for

extra > accidentally.

I write all my on music and perform it. Its a royal pain in the ass to get a band going. Too many people lack vision or creativity yet want to push their shallow shitty normalfag ideas into a song. I have no patience for that.

Or Im just autistic and cant into compromise.

though you could find the best creations as the best synthesis.
perhaps beautiful arts are creations truly aligned with the current state of the culture and nature.
nobody can invent a piece of art himself alone without stimulating examples.

avoid everything that stand in the way of the profound forces and express only one aspect of these at a time.

build one of picture related means refuse to pay attention to time consuming shits and rather stay silent behind nature.

It's neither.

Objective qualities - mathematical qualities. The closer some art is to them, the more objectively superior it is, and the more subjectively superior as well because our consciousness is inherently mathematical.

That can be applied to aesthetics in general.

Trips confirm excellence in architecture

Choice dubs