What are some high quality comfy mobile devices? Are there modern PDAs worth buying?

What are some high quality comfy mobile devices? Are there modern PDAs worth buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/pinebook-arm-laptop-runs-ubuntu
pine64.org/?page_id=3707
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

can a pocketCHIP run GNU+Linux?

That's exactly what it does...

It isn't comfy though. Keyboard a shit.

What the fuck is this thing

The Pocket CHIP.

That looks clunky as fuck.

Who cares
it's neat and cozy

It could still use a better keypad.

it could

was there ever a PDA that used one of those non-blanking lcds? I don't know of anything that really made use of those, except maybe the kindle, but don't quote me on that
would be neat to have a pda that used one, at least a modern one that I could read e-books on or hell just for taking notes throughout the day, annoying to have to keep waking up a device just to read back something I jotted down earlier

It's called a smartphone, OP.

It is.

Not yet released, but what the hell. It's almost there, anyway.
pyra-handheld.com/

E-ink displays? Not that I know of. Some of the old PDAs that didn't have always on backlights ran for a month on AA batteries, though. You could set the screen timer to never and still get a few days out of it.

It's a thumb keyboard. What did you expect at this size?

This, think it even ran windows

Windows CE/Mobile =/= Windows

that bitch is like 'oh shit i got glaucoma!'

fuck dude those things are gonna go for like 500 euros. i should get a job.

I was thinking about getting a GPD win and putting gnu/linux on it.

Can you do that? Is it an ARM chip running the Surface version of Win10 or is it a full scale x64 chip?

How about this thing?

I think designers should be forced to type a novel using the keyboard before production.

Holla Forumshw/pr0n

t. I came.

Looks far better than any mobile keyboard i've seen before, and way better than the Pyra keyboard

Yes, that is the problem user.

Pyra looks shit but you can use your thumbs to type, because Function>Looks.

We both didn't type on either one yet. You can use your thumbs to type on a blackberry as well, doesn't make the keys less cramped.

Does anyone know how good of a product this is or is it as shitty as it looks?

Looks like shit. It is shit.

Even HP used to make actually good palmtops but now the entire market is completely dead.
Pic related, I had one before my retard relatives broke it.

I really hope this crap isn't garbage and is worth the $159 I paid for it. I'm currently waiting for its delivery.

Linux runs fine in this shit?
Tfw too poor to buy one

Yeah there are gnu/linux distributions for ARM. INSTALL GENTOO

I have mine in a small pelican case with an external battery inside. Just can't get my bluetooth mech keyboard to work with it.

Try devuan

Looks like those old eePcs from Asus called netbooks or something because it was only good for basic web browsing before tablets arrived.

This seems like the thread to ask
I want to ditch my smartphone cause I'm sick of that shit. I've heard there are small netbook-type devices like this>>741567
That has a 4g though verizon or something.
Either way I'm ditching my smartphone.

I have some kind of ipaq, can I run linux on it?

How do I find out what kind it is? I just searched ebay for ipaqs and did not find one that looks like mine, and mine looks newer than the old articles I find about running linux on ipaq

And of course the device has literally no use running some old version of windows CE but could be kind of awesome with linux. As a windows CE device I might as well just use some shitty android phone laying around instead.

Thoughts?

...+19% VAT. And you reeeeeeeally want to pay extra for the 4GB version.
On the upside, it's intended to be upgradable. The performance-critical components (SoC and memory) are on a small, detachable PCB and those guys intend to design and sell an upgraded, more powerful board few years down the line for ~150€. It'll be cost-effective if you're in it for the long run. Certainly more so than shelling $300 for a new goyphone every second year.

x64. Intel Atom.
It doesn't officially support Linux though, and some integrated hardware may not have working drivers. Expect power management to be SNAFU too. Ofc it will likely improve with time.

It's a larger device than Pyra though (thinner but longer), and designed for different use modes. It's intended to be used on a desk/lap like a laptop while still being pocketable. Its keyboard should allow you to touch type (as long as your fingers are not too large). The Pyra is designed to be used first and foremost held in hands like a gamepad, and the main keyboard area is designed to be used with thumbs. You also have trigger buttons in the back (think R1/L1/R2/L2 in gamepad terms) that work as Ctrl/Alt/Shift/Fn modifiers, allowing you to comfortably input key combos while hand-held. There's also the gayming inputs over the keyboard, which double as a convenient and precise mouse substitute (the Gemini has none, only the touchscreen).
All in all, both look like great devices that target different niches. I feel the Pyra to be more versatile though.

Ancient. Get a Gemini instead:

It's a Dragonbox Pyra. Yes, there will be a version with 4G (two versions to be precise, compatible with different country standards), though expect it to be expensive (745€ incl. taxes for the full-blown version with 4G and 4GB RAM). Unlike a goyphone, it will serve you for many years though, which makes the upfront cost more tolerable.
pyra-handheld.com/

The GPD Pocket looks kinda nice.
GPD handhelds tend to overheat on their first revisions, though.

I-It's n-not real, is it?

I just want something that isn't nu-male shit and that isn't portable as in "fits in the pocket of a manlet who wears tight jeans without making a bulge". I want a non-rounded parallelepiped with a thick battery and a case made out of stamped aluminum/steel and a glass screen. I want a huge heatsink and I want it without a touch screen because there's literally not a single computer with a touchscreen that is useful or improved by it, smartphones are completely useless and pocket computers with touchscreens are too clunky and the screens are normally too innacurate and even if they are, things you're clicking on tend to be too small. Basically i want something that isn't just a fucking cashgrab but i guess people stopped manufacturing non-cashgrab products in the 70s.

Checkout the pinebook. pine64.org.

I can only imagine how hilariously bad it is.

The GPD is cheap Chinese garbage.

There's certainly no way that's a decent IPS in there. It's going to be a shitty TN. Probably 800x480, too.

1280x720, and apparently it is ips. It's not really what op asked for but it's an interesting piece of kit nonetheless. About usd $140, shipped, to N. America.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/pinebook-arm-laptop-runs-ubuntu

Huh, I stand corrected. Maybe the age of TN crap is finally over, even for budget systems. 1280x720 IPS isn't too bad for this price.

Thanks for the heads up.
Guess i'll just have to wait pyra too disapoint me now.

I want it.

best imho

Hate to break it to you user, but the modern "PDA" is an Android smartphone. It's a hard pill to swallow, but that's the way it is. Best way to go if you really don't like smartphones, is to get some Chinese 120 dollar phablet (phone+tablet, phones with screens over 5 inches) and install a custom ROM and root it, then block out ads and use FOSS software from F-Droid. I don't do that, but I'm happy enough with my LG K8. It works as I want it to and has a pretty big screen which is good for video.

It's completely real. The parts need to be 3d-printed though.

And yes, it works. You can set up the virtualboy emulator so that it does the '3D' split screen thing, and with the head assembly you're essentially turning it into a google-cardboard-like visor.

PocketCHIP itself is nifty, it runs Debian ARM so you can use it as a portable hackan machine, run emulators on it or use USB devices (printers, speakers, flash drives...)
Screen res is pretty low on the default screen but you can replace it with a better one. As for the keyboard, it's slow to work with, but the whole system is designed to be improved on with 3D-printed parts - there are several keyboard layer kits available.

You're not going to get crazy power out of it, but it has inbuilt wifi/bt and it has composite video out as default, so you can hook it up to a CRT TV and play retro games on that.
(there's also VGAout and HDMI out, via $10-15 modules)

Current display spec

pine64.org/?page_id=3707

11.6" or 14" TN LCD (1366 x 768)

sudo --rip-paper