Version numbers: OpenSUSE goes from 13 to 42 and now back to 15

I thought this was quite funny.

lwn.net/Articles/720747/

Nearly a year and a half ago, OpenSUSE bumped up their major version number from 13 to 42. This demonstrated a so-called 'leap' because they put enterprise packages into the normal distribution or something: news.opensuse.org/2015/11/04/opensuse-leap-42-1-becomes-first-hybrid-distribution/

Now they've announced that, for the next version, they will decrease the number to 15.

What weird versioning schemes have you come across? How do you version your own projects?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2017/03/07/macos-10-13-reference/
github.com/html5lib/html5lib-python/issues/282
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apple used to call their OS System 1, 2, 3,... sometimes System Software, and eventually Mac OS, 8, 9. Then once they hit X, they just stuck to adding decimal place revisions from 2001 until 2016.

Mac OS X Public Beta
Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah
Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
OS X 10.10 Yosemite
OS X 10.11 El Capitan
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I remember Panther's version of Safari had a hilarious privilege escalation bug of sorts where you could run unauthorized applications if opened through its downloads dialog.
Top fucking kek

Err I meant 2017. I think their "next" os is goingto be MacOS 11.

Apple's biggest problem, is they don't provide security updates frequently enough. I bet that one exploit took several months to be fixed.

Fuck. Jobs is not coming back to save them this time, is he?

Ah, looks like it'll be 10.13 again.
9to5mac.com/2017/03/07/macos-10-13-reference/

I think they are using semantic versioning sort of. Since the 10.x line is backwards compatible with earlier 10.x they haven't bumped the version number.

Good one m8

Not even close. They switched from PowerPC to Intel during that period. They maintained backwards compatibility for a while by including both PPC and Intel code in every binary (Universal binary), but they dropped that a few releases ago. During the transition, they also employed a technology to do on-the-fly binary conversion from ppc to intel (Rosetta), but they got rid of that too.

So no, there is no backwards, or even forward compatibility. This isn't even mentioning framework and api changes that have occurred over that time period.

I like TeX's version numbering. They froze the design at 3.0, and after version 3.1 came 3.14, then 3.141, and so on. It's currently 3.14159265. Some time after Donald Knuth dies version π will be released.

Wow this is fucking retarded, literally bazooper-tier

IIRC it wasn't fixed at all in Panther. I'm don't know about Tiger but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in Leopard.

Is there a single piece of software that doesn't have fucked up versioning?

The kabbalah mystery of Windows 9.

it's because of windows 95/98
they didn't want to break compatibility with older software that don't even work anyway on the POS that is Win10

github.com/html5lib/html5lib-python/issues/282

wew

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Holy shit, and his defense of that decision makes it even worse.

That's bullshit.

Major.Minor.Patch
Major: changes only when the api changes or complete rewrite
Minor: new features
Patch: patches and fixes

Best way to version any piece of shitware

It really is not.

testing benis