ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Materials Under Federal Laws

Cross posting from /k/ 8ch.net/k/res/409949.html

archive.is/Pp1o8

TL;DR - ATF’s sudden and unexpected change in policy on wetted nitrocellulose will likely have a significant impact on industry’s ability to deliver products to the military and commercial markets. Industry members have relied on the exemption for wetted nitrocellulose for many years and are aware of no accidental detonations or diversion of this product into illicit channels.

Other urls found in this thread:

kjct8.com/content/news/Whitewater--388575042.html
cbsnews.com/news/nh-gunpowder-plant-owner-gets-10-20-years-in-deadly-blast/
usachemicalsupply.com/products/50lb-bulk-exploding-target-kit
rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739
themarshallproject.org/2015/05/19/atf-s-greatest-hits#.4hkZXqeFl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ok.

pardon my ignorance but why is this a big deal?

You're retarded OP and dont realize that most powder using in cartridges is made over seas.

It isnt, OP is retarded. All this means is that one of the components used in making gun powder now has to be stored in a magazine. And most powder is made overseas anyways.

Because it will push another thread off the front page.

Gun Powder.

Single base is a formulation of nitrocellulose with potentially other oxidizers, and some stabilizers.

Double base is a formulation of nitrocellulose with nitroglycerin, potentially other oxidizers, and some stabilizers.

tl;dr get an extra cleaning kit, your weapon is going to foul more now.

And further proof that OP is retarded is that the ATF is considering a change in rules, not that one has taken place.

can't properly crosspost

They went back on it after getting BTFO by literally everyone.

I'd rather the ATF butt out regardless. The more regulations we have for 'public safety' reasons, the less safe we seem to be getting.

I dont think you understand how dangerous powder factories used to be before the ATF existed. I'm not a fan of the ATF, but requiring and explosive that has turned in to something massively flammable instead by mixing it with alcohol isnt the worst idea which has come out of the ATF. Go read The Chemistry Of Powder & Explosives by Tenney L. Davis if you want a history on it.

learn to crosslink

fuck me
requiring the explosive

mixing it with alcohol be stored in a magazine

there hasnt been a problem in how long? so why are they suddenly wanting to reclassify and regulate shit we have no problem with doing right now?

What?

kjct8.com/content/news/Whitewater--388575042.html

are there any more than one isolated incident in 50 years?

They tried to actually go forward with this, and are only "considering" now that they got BTFO hard by everyone.

Safety regulations is one thing. They literally bar you from making or possessing (most) explosives unless you have an occupational reason for it. This is literally an infringement on the 2nd amendment, but not enough people deal with explosives to for ATF to give a fuck so nothing happens.

Again, what?

cbsnews.com/news/nh-gunpowder-plant-owner-gets-10-20-years-in-deadly-blast/

i concede to your point. thanks for saucing me, user. now i have to ask the logical question: is safety worth giving up our right to protect ourselves?

Oh noes, you need a FEL to run a gun powder factory.

Again, the ATF could care less. Just look at Tannerite and other binary explosives which are sold en masse both on the internet and in big box stores.

Requiring wetted nitrocellulose to be stored in magazines does not equal giving up your right to protect yourself. Stop being retarded. I store my powder in a magazine.

Tannerite is pretty low power bruh. Did I also mention that they require you to tell them exactly how much explosives you are making, what you are doing with it, and where it is going? Again, this has little to do with safety.

true. but if they classify it as a dangerous explosive what stops them from requiring a license to own and store ammunition?

Again, they dont. When you mix a binary explosive you are manufacturing it there on site. Which is why you're not allowed to store or transport it mixed. The ATF doesnt give a fuck otherwise you wouldnt see big box retailers selling the stuff.

Smokeless powder isnt an explosive. Gun powder has burn rate inhibitors added to it to prevent it from being one.

Yes, but frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been banned or regulated yet. Most gun stores will only sell you two jars of it at a time, and that's just kind of a self imposed industry regulation, it's not a law (as far as I know).

I'm sure you've seen the videos of people eviscerating hogs with tannerite. It would be stupid easy to make a bomb out of that stuff. I don't want to see it regulated, but if it happened, my reaction would be "Yeah, I actually do sort of get that"

I should have clarified in the first post. For tannerite (and most gunpowder iirc) you are correct, you do not need to do this bullshit. For just about anything else (construction, mining, demolition, etc.) you do.

It's not, because the NRA and NHTSA BTFO'd them as soon as it came down the pike.

Nitrocellulose is the primary ingredient to smokeless powder. As said, there are different formulations, but all use nitrocellulose as the main base. It's mainly made by soaking wood flour (extra-fine sawdust) or, in higher purity applications (Vihtavuori powder hence the higher cost), cotton, in nitric acid.

Pure NC is slightly dangerous to transport. Wetted nitrocellulose is NC mixed with water to make it inflammable specifically for transport purposes. When it gets to the destination, it's dried out and processed with binders, inhibitors and suppressants making very safe smokeless powder.

Reclassifying WNC as an explosive would pretty much stop all truck traffic taking the NC from the factories to the powder mills. NC factories would have to be built from scratch on site of powder mills, or vice versa. A lot of smokeless powder is still made in the US, but there are a fair amount of imports from Canada, Sweden and Finland. Alliant sources from all three and makes most of their pistol powders in the US at the old Hercules factory.

What would have happened is another powder shortage for private reloaders like myself and smaller remanufacturers. When the news came down I nearly blew $1k on panic buying. I might still go stock up on IMR 3031 while I can.

wow it's fucking nothing

Muslims don't know what tannerite is. There is no reason to ban it.

I'm pretty sure ATF will try to ban it, eventually.

Most stores around me also have limits on the amount of ammo you can buy, because of hoarding. Here is a place that sells 50lb bags of it, and will sell you pallets worth if you want to piss away that much money for a big bang

usachemicalsupply.com/products/50lb-bulk-exploding-target-kit

See the commerce clause. If you're engaged in professional demonlition or mining, getting a FEL isnt that hard. And why the fuck would you care about having to notify the ATF about what you're doing if you're using it in a professional setting?

except this never happened. go show me a press release from either.

The only shortage which would have happened is because of tards like you who would have panic bought because you dont already keep a stock of powder.

The point is that you shouldn't have to tell big brother what you are doing, it's your own damn business.

You dont for personal use, and for professional use see the long history of industrial accidents. Even with modern government regulation, mining and construction are still two of the most dangerous professions in the US. You're just being a contrarian autist. If you want to get your panties in a bunch over the ATF, there are plenty of better ways you could do so than this proposed rule change.

How would one get such explosives for personal use then?

Tannerite is simple. Prilled ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum. A $30 ball mill and a handfull of large fishing sinkers can make your foil into powder. Ammonium nitrate is available if you live in a rural/agricultural locale.

You should reconsider putting powder into ammo cans. I'm sure you've lit some on fire in the open just to see what happens: slow burn. Introducing pressure is what makes it burn fast but you seal it up in a can.

I was once gifted 3/4 lb of an unlabelled unidentifiable powder (it was MAYBE Alcan 5) and tossed a match into it just to see what would happen. It slow burned for about a minute with no boom.

see

Ammo cans aren't very good at containing pressure. The lids blow off easily.
rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739

Im pretty sure safety procedures for storage and usage of explosives in a commercial sense are already taken care of by worker-safety organizations/regulations

Can you learn to proofread at least a little?

FUCK THE ATF

REMEMBER WACO.
FUCK THE ATF

I'm not american, I would assume its covered in the same place compressed gasses, high voltage lines, deadly poisons, etc are covered by your work safety groups.

my apologies, I should have known Americans can't spell ATF(E)

BATFE if you want to go further. They are the most retarded enforcement agency we have, hands down.

So we are limited to pretty much buying tannerite unless you want to go through the trouble of the paperwork and fees for getting anything else.

No, its what you can make which is easy and safe. Black powder is an explosive too.

:^)

themarshallproject.org/2015/05/19/atf-s-greatest-hits#.4hkZXqeFl

I don't think you understand how little we give a fuck. The ATF are /leftypil/ commie rats.

Reposts my OP, doesn't know how to properly cross link.
>>>/k/409949

You left out the whole post:
>>>/k/410289

This shit is just like TPP or any of the hundreds of bills attempting to regulate the internet.
THEY WON'T STOP UNTIL THEY HAVE TOTAL CONTROL
or we end them

Why does OP's picture say "magazine" when it's clearly a clip?

so I will have a hard time reloading?

(1)
ewewwewew

can some anons please invent a portable railgun to replace my firearms? would that still be under atf then?

Any arm not powered by fire is not controlled by the ATF.
Air rifles aren't covered by the ATF.

seems like we need railguns then tbh.

4chan has their space program, i guess we have /ironman/ but it's dead. we need a rwds weapons development program tbh.

Railguns are stupid for small arms.

no, we just need higher energy density powerpacks to power the railguns, minus some faggot manlet shooting baking supplies with it. i look forward to using a railgun in the coming racewar tbh.

my ups guy will be lucky if he goes the next two months without getting a hernia