Mozilla Firefox web browser may no longer be supported on your Linux computer

By Brian Fagioli

Firefox is a wonderful open source web browser. As a result, it comes pre-loaded on many Linux-based operating systems, such as Ubuntu and Fedora. Yeah, some people choose to install Chromium or Chrome instead, but Mozilla's offering remains a staple in the Linux community.

Unfortunately, it has been revealed that the Firefox web browser will no longer be compatible with some computers running a Linux-based operating system. You see, Mozilla has dropped support for certain Intel and AMD processors.

Buried in the release notes for the all-new Firefox 53, Mozilla drops the following bombshell.

Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and AMD Opteron

It is important to note that we are talking about some very old processors here, so many users won't be impacted. With that said, Linux-based operating systems are often popular for those with ancient hardware, so there certainly will be some computers that are affected.

Luckily, these users can still run older versions of Firefox, including 52.1.0 ESR which will be supported until 2018. After that, they can continue to use the outdated browser at their own risk, but a wiser solution would be to move to newer hardware. Come on, folks -- it is time.

Do you think Mozilla is wrong to drop support for these old processors, or is it time for those computer users to upgrade? Tell me in the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/04/20/mozilla-firefox-linux-intel-amd/

just fuck my browser up

I'm sure the gentoo people don't care.

remember when google dropped redhat and then came crawling back? this 32 bit shit is nothing compared to that.

Is this just a "if it breaks you're on your own" kind of deal, like with Chrome for 32-bit Linux, where Chromium still works?

They may be SJWs, but they aren't a giant botnet (((yet))).

for you
for you
neither. firefug is not respectable software and people should stop pretending so. it would be much better if firefug would stop supporting linux all together so we can get more people to focus on a real solution

Which is? A decentralized application hosting system built on a LispOS.

It's not wrong for Mozilla to drop support for older hardware. It's not as if they any obligations to anybody.

chugs
Feels bad man

Those are still x86 processors, right?
What, are they going to start using only the newest instruction sets or something?

They say "drop support" not that it's going to stop working. It just means if you have a problem on those CPUs and complain to them that they will just ignore you. This is a dumb article by a dumb man

also I guess that means they're going to add some useless bloat that causes lag or something

I use Iridium. It just works, man.
Only downside is Flash Player isn't available out of the box for obvious reasons, so I can't play some streams anons set up without switching to another browser.

There is a way to manually install Flash, but I can't be fucked figuring it out.

The thing is that I actually really like using Vivaldi. I dunno if it's de-botnetted, but every so often the new tab page fucks up and I can see the chrome search page while whatever I'm loading loads.
Makes me nervous.

Oh no

That's not the same thing, faggot. I might as well release a program and say that it's "not supported on Linux" because I'm not releasing an Android version. Not supporting a processor isn't the same thing as not supporting an OS. Shit thread, shit article, horrible clickbait. Nobody is going to care who actually understands what it means.

This faggot owns one PC, probably some Apple piece of shit laptop. His opinion isn't even worth making a thread about.

They yanked out the fallback paths in the JS dynarec for translating floating-point code to x87 instructions. Now it uses SSE2 everywhere. You'll get a segfault if your CPU doesn't support that.

Can't blame them, x87 is a nightmare to use. SSE2 is much saner.

software development costs money, unless you are plan to fund development for ancient shitty hardware, shut the fuck up.

Fagioli must be a shill for Chrome, nothing else can explain this clickbait shit. Just look at his twitter, he shills all the time.

the web is a joke. web browsers are a joke. as such your post makes you sound retarded. even all this "JS optimization" nonsense they're doing is a joke. if you have more than 1 tab open in any modern browser your experience is going to be shit because the web is shit

the only sites that work well are plain html sites, but we already have a proper solution for that case: links

if you seriously think it costs money to make a web browser work on old hardware you're a whole new level of retard. this firefox issue can probably be easily bypassed with a bit of tweaking anyway

Just use chrome, nerds.

Yes, I do think it is quite a bad decision of them. Dropping processor/x86 support is understandable at some point for video games and such, but that's something you just don't fucking do for essential utilities. Mozilla can get fucked.

I don't think they're dropping x86 as such, just certain architecture that was a pain to maintain.

Normies call it Google.

Nah, they call it "the Internet".

I do tech support at a uni.
Chads tell their Stacies to "open Google" and point to the Chrome shortcut on the desktop.
I have occasionally heard this augmented with "No, not Internet," when Stacy clicks on IE instead.
The elderly call it all either "Google" or "Internet Explorer" regardless of what browser is actually used.
Niggers just bang on the keyboard and move the mouse gingerly as if it could turn into a book at any moment.
Sage because now I want to kill myself again.

This fagioli cunt in unbelievably dislikable.

wut about the memory leaks?

That's a problem with the extensions that you use. I have no problem with leaking memory.

WTF
Ive only got ad block and https everywhere.

All the ad blockers use regex to block web page elements. You have no idea what kind of processing power this entails.

I would guess not very much.
I remember doing perl stuff back at uni and it never took very long and that was back in the dinosaur age of computers.

Plus its not processor that its hogging its the ram.
Are you suggesting the 4 gig of ram to display 1 web page is all the temporary data from adblocks regular expressions?

That's how typical "news" sites write titles.
Low quality bait tbh

Tell us more stories uniman

Use Brave.

Your post is b8 if you ask me.

Fuck off back to reddit.

Please kill yourself.

Just install Qupzilla.

I recently switched to qutebrowser, i really like it :)

user, that bait is not natively 5k. It's obviously upscaled from lower resolution material.

Imagine what you could do with your life if you spent as much time programming as you spent desperately reaching to prove that you're the oldest of the oldfags on the Taiwanese claymation forum of the day.

Some other things I have learned about niggers
>they don't understand the pattern of email addresses, @.___

I am in contact with a class of people who will never change, never adapt, never succeed. All they can do is marvel and rage in turns at the increasingly computerized world around them and wait to die while suckling gibs to the bitter end.

but how do you stream videos over 144p?

Technically everything from Intel/AMD is shitty hardware, but those older ones are botnet-deficient, so Mozilla is just looking out for you so you get your RDA of botnet.

Do what I do and laugh at them.
Not in public, though, or the (((higher-ups))) will jew you for it.

streaming is a scam to sell processors.

Fuck off back to /int/, dutchie.

If you're running the Windows© no it's not, goy.
I knew gnu/linux worked well but I was still stunned to see how it ran completely flawlessly on my mother's shitty 1ghz quadcore netbook with 2GBs of ram from a linux mint mate livecd whereas every single thing on windows makes the cpu usage hit 100% and freezes the thing not to mention it runs linux mint better than my high end desktop runs windows 7

It's still gonna be painful if you open many tabs in the browser with barely 2GB... No going around how shitty and bloated the web has become. I'm assuming your mom is no Lynx-surfing turboautist.

and what do you do btw?

You are a dumb nigger, you are the blackest retard gorilla nigger I have ever seen

Firefox is a shitty memory leaking browser anyways, palemoon will still continue to support linux users.

Chromium is an alternative if shit hits the fan, but I am uncertain if it has recieved a proper audit as of now.

Thanks for the info Fagioli