When will the RX 480 be properly supported on Linux?

When will the RX 480 be properly supported on Linux?

what do you mean?
If you're talking about proprietary blobs, then you should know that pretty much any GPU in the last 5 years requires them.

It's a fucking ad.

SHOO SHOO

Open driver is pretty decent. And Gallium 9 is a thing of beauty.

(Satan speaks)
I gave up gaming over 10 years ago, surprised to see that graphics have barely improved.

Main reasons for it are modern consoles and the complete death of talent in all media and entertainment industries.

Dragon's Dogma on PC is a 1-year old port of a 5-year-old game, so it's no wonder at all: it's a PS3 game and the PS3 came out a little over 10 years ago.

The hardware and software have improved, but the industry is dominated by talentless hacks.

Nice retarded opinions

computing power has gone stratospheric in the past 10 years but the graphics did not really improve that much when you compare PS3 and PS4. I remember from PS2 to PS3 it was a revolutionary progress with those nice looking 3D graphics and high resolutions.

Well the other problem is that gaming companies don't create new games anymore and instead publish remasters of their PS3 era products and charge the full price for it again. As there are millions of retards out there, they will find a few hundred thoudand who will pay for this crap.

In the pc sector it seems to be similar. The jump from Core 2 Duo to intel i7 was giantic but ever since, intel did not improve that much performance-wise. The 7700K only has about 30% more power that the 3770K which came out 5 years ago. However, graphics cards did advance incredibly fast and it is interesting how pc game devs struggle to keep up with the progress as only a few games will push your graphics card to the limit

The problem is that gaming became mainstream. Demand skyrocketed and normalfags became the new customer base. To appeal to the majority of customers devs had to dumb down everything so even the biggest retards can play a game. Then they started hiring more manpower but sadly this manpower was film studies college students who failed to land a job in hollywood so they just write videogames that end up beeing like movies ==> movie games

Dose Noveau support G9?

What game is that?

The industry could create break taking graphics but it would cost too much money. Also, why bother when the "next-gen" consoles can barely run 1080p/60fps PS3 games.

Dragons Dogma. It runs pretty well in Wine.

I keep hearing the Mesa drivers are better than they were before, but does anyone know how close they are to Nvidia's blob? The RX 480 is roughly on par with a GTX 780 on Windows, so how close would one running under Mesa compare to a 780 with Nvidia's official driver?

yeah, though to be honest all the post kepler cards are garbage, and the later kepler cards suffer from some proformance issues. GTX 680 is best bet but you are only getting about 70% of the performance vs proprietary drivers.

GTX 650 is the latest card that comes close to 1:1 ratio at over 94% to proprietary driver.

Nvidia Cruise cards are near golden though espacially the 8800 GT. Sadly that is the state of Nvidia hardly giving us anything to work with on the open source side.

forgot pic

He's right though. Videogame developers have been moving to consoles which have much worse hardware than PCs, and casualization has contributed to an influx of worthless shitters running the shots. A lot of videogames even deliberately crippled PC graphics whether through bad shaders or frame limits to avoid upsetting console makers or shit. I think Naughty Dog had quite a bit of controversy over this.

The RX series has better support than Nvidia GPUs. I'm running an RX 460 on the open source drivers, and it's great. No screen tearing, no PPAs, and the performance is easily triple or even better than it used to be a few years ago.

Meanwhile, Pascal straight up won't fucking run on Noveau drivers.

No, main reason is that to have more detailed graphics you need to have someone design all the extra detail. And that gets laborious (and therefore expensive) really quick.

That's because ever since, jewtel had no competition in the high-end. Now with Ryzen out there, I fully expect them to step up and start improving their shit at a reasonably rapid pace again.
Also, a Core 2 Quad still compares favorably with the shit the latest consoles have as CPUs. That's not the bottleneck in games, shitty yesterday's APIs and lazy programming are.

Open drivers for nVidia are utter crap, unfortunately. You still have to use the blob for decent performance there. It's the drivers for Intel and AMD chips that are competitive with respective blobs.

True enough for newer cards, but for the 5xxx and 6xxx the're fairly decent. Tesla has also been getting better recently, but it's now pointless to buy Nvidia over AMD from a freedom-respecting standpoint, because of the signed firmware they made standard with Maxwell.

Does a 740 have the signed firmware shit? They have one at the local best buy for clearance.

it's definitely true. I still have my i7-950 from when it was new but it has a gtx970 now. Upgrading just isn't fun anymore. I check from time to time. I could build a ryzen 5 1500x system for not a lot of money but I know it won't make me happy, You only need a good computer for AAA gaming which is a sinking ship with like 4 or 5 releases a year or professional work in which case overpaying to turn constant 20 minute jobs into constant 10 minute jobs makes sense.

Not to mention the complete lack of good AAA releases and hardware stagnation (with nvidia's pascal, not so much on the gpu side)

This user gets it. The problem is cost. You should be happy we're finally plateauing somewhat; graphics obsession is the single biggest cancer ruining games. It makes everything extra expensive to produce and forces developers and publishers to make the safest design decisions possible and pander to the lowest common denominator to ensure sales.