Is TOR Still Secure?

I've read a lot about the weaknesses of TOR including traffic fingerprinting and other vulnerability's like the ones used on playpen. Is TOR still secure or is it time to start using tails.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)#History
torproject.org
cdn.media.ccc.de/congress/2016/webm-hd/33c3-8414-eng-deu-Corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy_webm-hd.webm
torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhyCalledTor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

TOR was made by the US government. What do you think.

Think before posting op

It's better than nothing, that's for sure.

for this presumption to be effective for the assumed reason of use (that of which being catching criminals) you would need to own more than sixty to seventy percent of nodes. as this is the only attack vector that the us government could possibly benefit from releasing tor for, and we know the us government is malicious, the best assumption is that this is the case to some degree

Is this actually true or just a conspiracy theory?

TOR is The Old Republic
Tor is the onion router software & network

cpunks.org and ask this shit, fag

TOR / Tor - not much different, by the way.

The (((Public))) via MITniggers via USNavy

It has never been secure. I2p is tho

Against everything except the US government, certainly.
Against the US government, hard to say.

What the fuck do you think Tails is using to anonymise its traffic you double nigger?

It's The Onion Routing project you retard.

but it's possible to ban US nodes in settings
checkmate CIA

Yes, you shouldn't really be judging things based on whether they're secure against the government, when backdoors are put in stuff on purpose.

What you want is security against other internet users/site owners.

Is it best to just ban every node from the "fourteen eyes" states?

Actually the CIA would be monitoring all the non-US nodes.

The CIA monitors all traffic, nigger.

Well according to vault seven the CIA is still having trouble with it. They can certainly de-anonymize you with browser exploits if they want but the crypto is still solid. For everyone screaming about muh backdoor I would like to see proof in the source code.

You are right, but you should keep in mind what works and what doesn't in case you ever go up against a government. A small-time criminal can't force a CA your browser trusts to forge a certificate for a MitM — the Turkish government can. If this matters for what you are doing, you have to know about it and prepare in advance. Not all governments are created equal either. The US' government controls major internet infrastructure, Turkey's doesn't. For this reason, I explicitly mentioned the USG rather than governments in general; they might have a large enough picture of the Internet to identify a lot of Tor traffic.

Try harder CIA

The US government has set up data collecting facilities all over the world to monitor and capture traffic to use now and in the future. This is why encrypting EVERYTHING you do on the internet makes sense, because big data mining will be a thing in the future where governments will profile anyone who committed though crimes in the past. Because it will get worse before it gets better.

Yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)#History

Not using Tor makes CIA's job easier so I think you might be the undercover agent here.

Reading the FAQ at torproject.org might help you out.

Tails is an operating system which is configured to use Tor everywhere it can, and have the same network fingerprint elsewhere, no matter which machine you run on. It also has some Linux security features configured/turned on, which makes it harder to exploit than most of the other Linux distributions.

The Tor Browser Bundle is developed so you have a browser which has less unique browser fingerprint. The software you use and your behaviour make fingerprints. Tor has nothing to do with it.

There has been no knows successful attacks against the Tor Browser Bundle with security level set to High.

Although Tor does not guarantee you 100% anonymity for a connection, the people (like me) who run or ran a safe relay give you a very-very high chance that your connection will be untraceable.

I understand that. What I was saying is that the playpen stuff seemed to be problems with browser exploits so I thought tails might be better.

"TOR" triggers my autism so bad I instantly lose interest in everything the person who wrote it has to say

So was Internet. What do you think now?

I wonder that as well, why not simply filter out nodes from suspicious countries?

They don't pay me to think, only to shit up boards with anti-tor propaganda.

This is pointless, they could just rent a server in another country and set up a nide there.

The solution is if the population maintains entry and exit nodes. It's too bad that people are too cheap to dedicate their Internet connection for such purpose.

Of course, and I'm sure they do this all over the world. But they probably have way more nodes in countries that cooperate with them in their surveillance, like UK and Germany.

it's already happening
cdn.media.ccc.de/congress/2016/webm-hd/33c3-8414-eng-deu-Corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy_webm-hd.webm

The only question is how strong encryption you should use. Take into account how long you plan to live and how much the technology will advance in that time.

Interesting deduction, tell me, what brought you to 8/tech/?
Was it a meme on 9gag, or a post on r/Holla Forums?

torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhyCalledTor

You're the kind of guy who types 'elementaryos', aren't you.

The TOR project didn't invent acronyms, that's not how it works.

>>>/suicide/

fuck off