CISC is bloat on a hardware level

CISC is bloat on a hardware level.

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/31379636/why-doesnt-intel-design-its-simd-isas-in-a-more-compatible-or-universal-way
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEX_prefix
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVEX_prefix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good thing we don't have any CISC design in practice. AMD64 is an hybrid CISC->RISC arch.

AMD64 also sucks and is probably the worst way someone could have extended x86 to 64-bit.
That said, x86 is pretty crap too because it's acquired so much obsolete stuff over the years that it's now a giant pile of bloat.

Considering very intelligent people worked on the design of amd64 and x86, I'm sure you will discover very well thought out justifications for all the so-called bloat. They did not have the luxury of working with a clean slate.

He's probably a RISC weenie.

shit thread tbh

Just about all modern architectures are RISC with a CISC translation layer.

CISC isn't cost-efficient. This is one of the reason why most HPCs prefer RISC over Cuck Instruction Set.

tbh Google use gentoo-powerpc on IBM POWER9 hardware. Even other NASDAQ members or IBM-partner tech companies literally use gentoo. Install gentoo

Fuck intel for shilling their backdoored chips since the last 5 years.
If only IBM and others manufacture POWERPC laptops or consumer-level mobile hardware I'd buy them.
There is already one in the making though:

This link seems to not work (but works with webproxy)

If you can afford an overkill server workstation for daily driver then the talos workstation will BTFO that Cuck instruction set any day.
>The Talos™ Secure Workstation uses the IBM POWER 8 processor and architecture, which is comparable in terms of overall power and performance to that of modern Intel/AMD x86 based systems. However, whereas all modern x86 systems are encumbered by proprietary firmware and software, such as Intel's Management Engine and Active Management Technology (AMT), the POWER 8 architecture is able to run an entirely free software boot system, Libreboot. Raptor Engineering is a significant contributor to Libreboot projects and they wish to make and sell Libreboot and GNU/Linux-based workstation that are "designed for security-conscious, high performance users."

CISC isn't the problem, the problem is that x86 is terrible in a lot of ways, it only got popular because of the IBM PC, we would have been beter off with anything else.
Look at Mill for a well thought CISC arch.

Found the Itanium shill.

VLIW isn't bad, but IA64 is. VLIW needs alien tech compilers, though.
I'd really like to see Elbrus-8S benchmarks.

That's basically the problem.

Not a shill, just someone who writes x86 and occasionally x86_64 assembly for fun.

CISC is like a hardware-equivalent of the Linux Kernel itself So in other words you're right

In all seriousness though there is a good reason CISC is the processor design of choice for Engineering guys (RISC is for high-level software devs AKA Pajeets). You can more easily fine-tune applications made for CISC vs RISC

Man you guys really are retarded and have 0 sense about the history of the design of the architecture
When Intel designed different experimental architectures like the i960 architecture and the Itanium, they didn't just throw their design papers away after they designed them. The technologies that went into their Itanium and RISC architectures went right back into x86_64. Intel spent billions of dollars into streamlining the architecture and this is possible do to the shift in scale of smaller processor nodes. All those SIMD instructions made on a 128nm process node for example is now being scaled down to a 14nm processor node. x86_64 is a great architecture because AMD and Intel made a lot of carefully thought out design decisions not in its initial design but rather as the architecture evolved. Today Intel Xeons are literally the fastest processors in the world. Faster than any ARM or even PowerPC shit
Yeah, if you're a Pajeet who doesn't know what they're doing maybe

What the fuck am I reading here?

x86 assembly is a mess. It was designed during a time when computing was highly limited and extensions were made on top of this very limited foundation.

All high end consumer CPUs are CISC/RISC hybrids at transistor level.

Even the ARM9 used in consoles like the NDS?

The DS is from 2004 m8 so I hope you mean the 3DS, which uses an ARM11 core for applications (System level shit still uses an ARM9 but details details.etc)

Regardless, as modern x86_64 cannot be considered purely CISC, likewise, modern ARM can't even really be considered fully RISC either as ARM themselves as well as other companies have added many extensions to the original architecture

wtf. those faggits don't even know what CISC/RISC is. You're just a CS guy talking hearsay shit

most of the time it's SIMD and other media/vector extensions that they add in RISC SoCs because the graphics for these chips aren't as complex as CISC ones.

Gentoo seems to be the only sane Linux if you're targeting weird/custom architectures, the nature of the project makes it easy to build for your platform and the ports system even makes third party software easier to deal with. If for some reason you have to use Linux over a BSD variant, then Gentoo seems to be the only real option for that.

x86 has multiple deprecated SIMD instruction sets. It's crap. They keep making the same blunders over and over again. The VEX prefixes are deprecated now.

stackoverflow.com/questions/31379636/why-doesnt-intel-design-its-simd-isas-in-a-more-compatible-or-universal-way

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEX_prefix
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVEX_prefix

That garbage is a nightmare for programmers, for compiler writers, and for chip designers. It doesn't help anybody but Intel because they can deprecate old chips by forcing programs to use new instructions.

That's just the SIMD crap. You won't believe the other instruction crap Intel is making. Nobody would use it because it only runs on computers made in the last couple years. Some of them are literally replacing 2 short old instructions with one long prefixed instruction. When I write assembly programs, I just ignore this crap. I can't rely on it existing, so I can't use it. It's more mental bloat I don't need. People wonder why compilers are so huge.