How to sort downloaded files and images from the internets?

How to sort downloaded files and images from the internets?

I have like 10 year old folder with thousands of images, videos, software etc.

What do?

First thing I did is sort them into folders by file type (photo, movie, etc). But what then?

I can't just manually browse it and move pictures into folders, it will take years to sort thousands of files. It needs to be automated or semi-automated. How?

And what folder structure to create? What do you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

netdial.caribe.net/~adrian2/fdupes.html
ghostbin.com/paste/wqqu3
ghostbin.com/paste/hrrky
github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fixing broken thread

Select all the files you want to sort and press [Shift] + [Delete]
It is the fastest auto-sorting you can get.

Manually sorting 10000 pictures by looking at them should not take more than one day. So I have no idea what are you talking about. That is like spending 4 seconds for a single file.
But if you use the miniature view of the folder and select files by [Ctrl]+[Space] then mass-move the whole selection into your folder, that is like 1 second spent for sorting 1 image.

For sorting pictures you could create a simple script that receives a list of images as input and then goes through them 1 by 1. It first opens image in viewer, then it asks for destination, you then type in destination and file gets copied. Once one file is copied to destination, it stores destination folder for future reference and assigns it to the hotkey/number, so that moving next picture is just a matter of pressing a key. It should go pretty fast once you'll get used to it. If pictures have name that can be used for sorting then it's even easier. Just use find with -regex and pass results to xargs or use -exec.

Just dump them into a folder and sackytag them.
github.com/SpaceBudokan/SackyTag
blatant shilling

This should go to the support thread
But if you are dealing with images and videos use >>>/hydrus/

lel

Do you know any other programs that allows me to create a local booru and search files by tag?

I use xnviewmp for its tagging capabilities but I feel it's too bloated. How hard is to code something that supports tags and that has some "sort by color" thing?

why the hell is this thing so fucking massive

The developer includes every dependency inside the archive

10 years is a hell of a lot of data. I'm surprised your machine doesn't just grind to a halt when you type "ls" if itt's all in one flat directory. So probably you already have them sorted in some subdirectories? Either way, your best bet is probably to just write a shell script that sorts everything by date into a hashed directory structure, like:
~/download/2007/01/01
~/download/2007/02/02
~/download/2017/04/07
~/download/2017/04/08
After that you can use a tool like fdupes to remove any duplicate files.
netdial.caribe.net/~adrian2/fdupes.html

I actually wanted to post something similar a few weeks ago. My idea was that Holla Forums creates a meme management app(TM) that makes sorting and managing your lurk folder easier. We can also have a pay version for all the 9gag normalfags (squeezing some sheckels out of them would be nice).

I whipped something up for you. This will sort images, binaries, videos and archives into their own folders.

ghostbin.com/paste/wqqu3

If you need any other files types just add them to their respective tuple in the source code.

Oops formatting got slightly fucked.

ghostbin.com/paste/hrrky

Sorry about that.

more like one week.
and I don't have a spare day.

Not possible. You need to look and think, to what folder do you want to put this file. Or if to create a new folder.

Yes I am using miniature view, and select multiple similar files and put into folder. But need to think to what folder put a file, or if create new one.

But creating script is effort. And also, how will I know to what destination folder put a file?
What kind of folders should I have?

images videos documents archives programs everything
but most of files are images

>use >>>/hydrus/
what is this? I clicked link but didn't explained anything

does it sort images automatically by content?

Yes, I already sorted in easy way like by file type (image video etc) into subfolders, so generally no folder contain much over 1000 files. I can set thumbnail view and it works with no problems.

well but I don't want files to be sorted by date. I want them sorted by content. So I can easy access.
Let's say I want to watch cars. So I can easily open images/cars/ folder and see them. I want files sorted by project/content.

Yes that's what would be best for me. So I can click "Sort" and have files sorted by inside content.

I don't need that, I already have them sorted by file type/extension, this was easy, just searched for jpg jpeg png etc then cut all files into Images folder. etc

I have a folder filled with literally 10s of thousands of files and I can sort through ~1000 an hour. At that rate I could be done in a day or two. Maybe a week if I tried hard and a year or so if I didn't. I don't bother to sort it because I don't want to though.

I usually use a system of "sort by generic category->sort by year->sort by first letter in file name". Which for me works out fine. I have a script for it but it's in C# and I doubt many people would care but in practice it's relatively simple to set up your own system.

You have to sort it manually then. There's no script that's going to sort things for you based on content, because this would require AI. At best you can use reverse image search to get a list of tags or something, but that's far from perfect.

If most files are images you most definitely want hydrus
Have you ever been to one of those sites called "booru"? If you haven't, they are archives for images (sometimes videos too) which have tags associated with each file
The golden rule for those sites is "tag what you see" so for each image/video you see things like "blue_eyes" or "brown_hair"
With this extensive tagging you can go to the search box and type "smug" and "frog" to get every picture that contains those two tags
Hydrus is just like those sites, but local to your computer, and it includes a bunch of utilities like a duplicate filter to search (and delete) for images that are the same
If you use it, you can sort your images and videos by content using tags, and then search them by content
For archives, software, etc you have to look at something else

no it does not, only regular stuff like width, size, creation date and shit.

github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus

You have to manually tag all your pics though (unless you find a repository that happens to have the exact same pics as you). It also makes a duplicate of all the files you add to it to its database so pay attention to how big is your pics folder

Check out sackytag on github.

Sort them by purpose (what you're most likely to use them for in the future). If any folder still has too many individual items, make some subfolders for more specific purposes. Repeat until collection is manageable.

This is nice, but I can't get used to Bash's syntax. Recommend a good tutorial or set of exercises to git gud please.