Alright nerds listen up. I'm here to address a real fucking problem so I'm gonna hop...

Alright nerds listen up. I'm here to address a real fucking problem so I'm gonna hop, skip and jump with my fingers crossed it won't get run into the ground by autistic freetards who have never had a job and can't empathize with this problem.

Anyway, we all know that WIndows 10 is a fucking botnet keyloggere'd piece of shit. It is approaching a time when hardware and software developers are moving towards it. I need Windows for doing work. All the software that I absolutely need to use (which I am not even allowed alternatives to, even if competent ones did exist.) Using GNU/Linux is not an option. Period. End of story.

So with that out of the way, a serious question. Is there an effective way to de-botnet OS level botnet in Windows 10? I always hear the argument that there would be no way to prove it was de-botnetted, but I have an inquiry about this. Can't you just monitor your network traffic to ensure that no data is being sent with a specific method for remedying this issue? If there is no proper solution then why is nobody trying a large scale attempt at fixing this problem? I need some answers god-dammit. And no, "hurr durr just use 7 4ever" is NOT a solution.

Install GNU/Linux, period.

Ask Microsoft for source code.

Do you have the source code of windows10? if no, then there's no way you can de-botnet it.

Does your job not give you a laptop for doing work on Windows 10?

Just use another computer for personal stuff.

how the fuck can you modify proprietary software? fucking tell me?

Required to use a powerful desktop at home. Two computers is not and never will be a suitable option.

How does it feel to have the spine of a cup of cocoa? You willl have to grow a set of balls at some point in your life. It better be sooner than later.

Grow a pair.

Otherwise have a dedicated work laptop that you only use for work. Then it's your employers problem trying to avoid industrial espionage.

Ever heard of reverse engineering?

I'm self employed and I have to work with industry standard shit. My clients (other companies typically) give me things that will only work with specific software and there will never be compatible alternatives, let alone competent ones.
Yeah fucking blow me. I've done manual labor my whole life and I'm not going back. Takes more balls than you have.

This.

reverse engineering? good luck with that one mate... u will need ages to disassemble windows, if thats worth time and effort somebody would have done that in past

You can probably debotnet it by following all the guides online and then permanently disabling updates completely. This would obviously be a retarded idea if you're using this for work related things since you will need/want the updates for obvious reasons. With updates enabled though microsoft can Trojan Horse just about any changes they want in. Honestly OP the way I look at it is that if you "Can't not" use windows or have to use it for work you may as well just accept the botnet into your life for convenience at that point. Go all in with skype/win10/Microsoft dick since meeting half way ends up being a lose/lose in this case.

Would you mind posting some competent ones? Would there be any way to ensure they're not fucking with shit by monitoring network traffic?

a blatant no.
maybe if you cage the whole system from any connectivity (e.g, BT or USB) then the metadata collected becomes pseudo-pointless because one mistake will spill all the spaghetti.

because the real programmers and hardware devs are using *nix servers/boxes. windows is just memed or overrepresented by universitiy echo chamber (including yours ofc).

((desktops)) are consumer shit. the only thing useful for work is their office suite if you do non-IT paperwork/logistics. The rest is just consumer-centric hardware support, games, and stability with viruses.

...and viruses
adding to that: viruses seriously harm businesses especially IT companies or greenhorn companies. It is a given that you are required to work and have basic knowledge on much more secure systems like *nix ones.

some microsoft tools are useful to very specific workplace but if you're a full stack then you should be leaning more towards Unix.

Windows is a botnet in its very essence and you want to get rid of the botnet? This can only mean getting rid of Windows. Install Gentoo

Enjoy investing years of your life making no progress. There can't be any practical progress when anybody takes that route.

Enjoy your botnet. You are choosing to keep it in your computer yet you want to get rid of it. How's that working for you?

Better than starving to death in the street (not like any of you NEETs know what it's like yet.)

In that case, enjoy your botnet. That's the life you chose.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Reminder that GNU/Linux is literally the NEET OS.

Suck it up fairy bitch. You're using Windows 10, period. Not our problem you're a cuck who wants to work for shitheads.

Good. Have fun with your botnet.

There's a lot of YouTube guides but I have no actual way of judging their competency since I don't use windows and am not going to bother investigating it for weeks on end. If you just search disable spyware on windows 10 on YouTube you'll find dozens of tutorials. Again it will require permanently disabling update which I do not recommend.

You can monitor packets with Wireshark. You can also block programs from making outgoing and incoming connections with firewall. Monitor packets while you fiddle with firewall to isolate which programs call home. You will have to run the packet sniffer constantly for at least a few days to get a good picture though. Programs call home periodically and not every single second.
Of course you will still have no autistic level of proof that any of that works. But at least it's better than certainly being fucked over.

Then you do not have any options.

As someone who is a windows 7 user, why not use a separate PC with windows 10 or whatever botnet crap you want for work, and then what else you want for personal stuff? I don't get why this is not an option.

I'm not using Windows 10, I'm fearing for the future where it would be necessary. Also at least I HAVE a job.
It used to be a great slur but people like you have made it lose it's meaning already.
Thanks for being completely useless like most of the rest of this thread.

Honestly I might have to at this point. Gonna be gay.

Scrap that I'll probably install FreeBSD on a secondary PC because SystemD+Lincucks is shit (and you guys wanna talk about cucks.)

Run Linux on your HW, run Windows 10 in a VM on top of said Linux. Firewall the shit out of the VM – use whitelists, not blacklists.

Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise

Just run it in VM, isolated from your main shit.
I know it's more of workaround than solution, but there isn't any, you simply can't trust it.

If it obviates the need to trust it, then it is a solution.

Fuck off back to halfchan /g/.

I have job too and there I use Debian.
Get a better job.

Does It absolutely have to be windows 10? Win 7 with auto updates turned off is actually pretty decent

Just buy a dedicated work laptop? All you need to do is not be an idiot and keep your mouth shut and the dedicated computer is all you need. You can torrent the windows 10 enterprise version online if you can find it.

Eventually, it will, when programs start requiring it. The point is to be prepared for when that happens.

That is acceptable when the Windows programs you use are light, office-grade shit. When you need a high-powered workstation, shit gets expensive pretty fast. You don't want to buy TWO fire-breathing boxes - one for work, one for compiling Gentoo.

OP, maybe look into how Whonix handles workstation isolation.

Cooperatively. Not something you can expect from Windoze.

Just so you know, windows enterprise doesn't protect you from the botnet.

I tried installing windows 7 enterprise before and saw same 'ol backdoor defaults from a non-enterprise windows edition.

switch your job, nigga

Jobs don't grow on trees. Either we'll organize a proletarian revolution or OP will continue to be a cuck to the demands of the market.

so I must be having an illusion or living in a matrix while I work on macOS and didn't have to even touch Windoze for many years?

There's way more proprietary software made with support for macOS than for GNU/Linux, for obvious reasons, so your point is meaningless. There's no MS Office or Adobe suite for GNU/Linux, but there is for macOS. You're still a cuck to the market demands.
And calling Winblows by childish names while being a macfag is just delusional. True and consistent autism comes only by using GNU/Linux.

Can confirm.

This is not your personal tech support, faggot.

Furthermore, just have a work computer, and a personal computer.

The only macOS-only software I really need for work is Sketch because designs are done in it. And if I really wanted I could evade it.

Sure I'll blow you. You deserve it once you've grown a pair and stand up to your beliefs. You also complain about manual labor, that really makes you a hero, I do manual labor and enjoy it.

So you chose to work with stuff you don't like as a self-employed, that's just even stupider. You help the eco-system you hate grow and whine about it. This is what I mean about growing a pair. I would respect it if you liked Windows and chose to work with it, but what you're doing is just stupid.

Windows has always been complete shit, and now it even spies on you. I wonder what they can do next to make it even worse. Well, they'll think of something, that's for sure.

"OS as a service" where you'll have to pay monthly subscription to use their system. KEK.

Holla Forums largely has nothing to offer except posturing and memes, since stuff like monitoring network traffic is a little too complicated.

There's nothing to monitor, that's for cucks. Block all traffic in pf.conf and bob's yer uncle.

This is glorious.

With fees scaling with hardware capabilities.

afaik Adobe already did that, and MS Office cloud service is like that.

It's only the beginning. Prepare your anus for microtransactions.

Just be persistent about migrating to free software equivalents to the proprietary software currently being used. Some sacrifices may be required, but there's a workaround for everything. Be sincere and avoid exaggeration.

After three months of persistent cheerleading and encouragement, I got 80% of my office to switch to GNU/Linux. Then, another three months later, ransomware took out the remaining Windows 10 systems. It became easy after that to convince the remaining Windows users (the accounting and bookkeeping guys) to make the switch, too.

The company was already using web-based bookkeeping systems anyway, which is unfortunate in a different way, but that meant the migration to GNU/Linux didn't disrupt their workflows at all.

In short, be persistent, sincere, and avoid hyperbole.

In addition to persistence and cheerleading, if you keep a Windows user's expectations about GNU/Linux low, there's a good chance for the user's actual experience with GNU/Linux to exceed the original expectations. Then they'll be more likely to stick with GNU/Linux.

No, that's too simplistic view of human psychology, or as I've recently taken to calling it, human retardation. There's loads of idiots out there who hear about GNU/Linux being shit, test it, and then try really hard to convince themselves that it was even worse.
Why? Because they're used to Windows and it obviously requires some minimal effort to start using another OS. They're really lazy dumb fucks who want to justify their idiocy by shitting on GNU/Linux instead. Most people you know are like that, maybe not about GNU/Linux specifically but at least about general state of things. We conventionally cal them "normies".
Showing people directly that GNU/Linux is better, emphasizing in particular that it doesn't threat users like retarded consumer slaves, will probably get us further than reverse psychology tricks.

i dont think its reverse psychology to set the bar low. in truth, gnu/linux does not support much of the software that someone in this situation might *expect* but that does not mean it does not have something to offer

The free edition of Windows will "time-share" idle CPU for cloud tasks/other services and reserve up to 30% while you're using it. You'll be able to pay to turn this option off/use 100% of your CPU.

It will be marketed under the guise of making Windows more green and reducing wasted electricity.

I thought all Windows editions already "time-share" your PC with the NSA surveillance grid?

You are myopic idiot. All of the architectual, industrial and mechanical design in the world is done on software that only runs on windows.

There is nothing even close for linux.

If you want to develop up-to-date hardware for meatspace, you are on Windows. Period.

This is about as believable as Holla Forumstards telling stories about redpilling randos

Hi, IT I suggest we use free software

I want to replace all the office software and OS for every machine in the company!

Forums and wikis provide great support, and I am sure there is a libre replacement for anything really important!

I used to work in IT at multiple companies. IT departments are remarkably similar in how resistant to change they are, and the necessity of service contracts.

feels gud man

story time
daily reminder that "business" people will forever be gullible retards

I literally get segmentation faults every boot. every boot. That's not including the times it just refuses to boot because fuck me up the ass or maybe I forgot to reboot (because it doesn't tell you to) after a dist-upgrade.

I love Linux to death. The snappiness, it's open source which tickles my autism nicely, it's software management system. But fuck me if there's a less stable goddamn operating system.

Segfaults at boot? Do you have any clues what program might be causing that? Have you tried running memtest86? It could be a hardware issue.

Sorry, I meant seg faults in general, but at least one between boots. Never on boot so far. But still, un-fucking-acceptable.

Usually it's firefox (fuck me) but sometimes other programs just randomly throw a seg fault at me like ytdl just recently. Also adding a respoitory throws a bunch of python errors which I can't seem to figure out.

Also yes I used memtest. Once over because I needed use of the computer again but once I can have some more downtime I'll do a multipass with stronger rules.

What are multiple harddrives/partitions?

You really do deserve everything of this.

If you install proprietary software of any kind, you are already a gullible retard. Don't forget about cell phones.

I have no idea what it is you're doing but I'm using the same Firefox profile since v10 on various Lignux installations and I can say that Firefox has rarely caused a segfault. I do use my computer and Firefox pretty much everyday.

run windows in a vm faggot

Small businesses usually don't have dedicated IT departments, and often don't even have tech support contracts. You're correct about larger shops being fossilized in how they run things, but that's obviously not the setting for what the other guy was talking about.

Student detected. Basically you've never touched REAL proprietary software only available to the companies themselves. I even know companies that have made their own programming language and encryption method for their stuff so any hacker will just bang his head over the brick wall.

If you're a hipster who only thinks that the WHOLE industry is AutoCAD + Windows then you've got memed.
Reading comprehension pls. *nix ≉ linux

Linux is linux. It's not a ((desktop)) OS but rather targeted towards server and HPC/scientific supercomputing and is the enterprise tech standard in most cases (RHEL SLES). If any windows is the inferior OS, they don't even support IA64 on their server 2016 which only supports x86_64 while the rest of the server industry are using RISC architecture SoC.

macOS is part of *nix and is the "Workstation standard."
No company wants to fiddle with windows OEM pajeets... like what? Lenovo crapstation? Do they even come with thunderbolt interface?

You think senior management will spend time applying thermal paste on a custom windows workstation with your new video card?
No. They avoid that "minimal upgrades" mindset as much as possible due to many "risks" you can already imagine happening

It's simply not going to happen. Windows 10 is designed first and foremost as a tool for the collection and sale of your data. Second as an operating system.

I use it, too. But I don't delude myself. Everything I write while this thing is on is potentially read by unintended parties, and no amount of tweaking and hacking will change that.

You can't de-botnet Windows 10.

Stop with that meme. I have a job too. I have two computers. One for work stuff (Adobe suite mainly) and another for personal stuff running linux. Grow up. There is no way to run the botnet without botnet.

Example of a place you can have a job working at GNU/Linux workstations: Industrial Light & Magic.

Also, the home renovation company that I work at in San Francisco.

lepic linus tech tips ebin XDDDDD

feels even better