GNOME A SHIT

Why is gnome such a trash heap? This happens to me once every few days in every gnome-based DE I've ever used, on every single distro I've ever used. I can tell you how many times KDE has done this on my machines: Zero.

Anyway, gnome a shit thread. Post your poor experienced with gnome ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=676897
wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gnome absolutely a shit but KDE's plasmashell does that too.

Why don't you install XFCE if you hate GNOME so much?

Because XFCE, being a GTK based desktop environment, still suffers from the file selection dialog issue. I reckon I'll install KDE neon or OpenSUSE instead.

OpenSUSE uses KDE too by default.

After dealing with KDE or Gnome for 1-2 hours a day, I sometimes just open up Windows 7's file explorer and use it for a bit to relax.

Gnome 3 Nautilus:

Because they are too busy sucking off Rh and LP.

Gnome-shell is javascript what else is there to say.

I switched to mate and it's bretty gud

That's exactly the whole problem. GTK3 is developed solely with GNOME3 touchscreen environment in mind. It's XFCE's own fault that they're using something which isn't even intended for desktop environments. These DEs have only two options:
- stay with GTK2
- use something else completely
Patching GTK3 is not an option, it's like converting a boat into a car and goes only so far.

GTK3 has nothing to do with touchscreen, you retard. GNOME 3 may be done with touchscreen in mind, but GTK itself is just a program to make GUIs.

Is QT touchscreen-oriented because Unity 8 is? Are Windows APIs touchscreen-oriented because Windows 8 is?

Autist.

Sorry, but you don't know shit about the specific relationship between GTK3 and GNOME3, you're just assuming that by analogy GTK3 is of the same nature as QT. It's not.

GTK is developed specifically for (and by) Gnome. Features are added to and removed from GTK depending on whether or not Gnome (devs) want / need them.

Qt is developed on its own, not by canonical (Unity) nor the KDE team. It is supposed to be a multi-platform graphical toolkit, whereas GTK is tailored with Gnome and only Gnome in mind.

MATE is comfy.

Gnome 3 was never intended to be used on a touchscreen. Gnome 3 was always intended to make use of objectively measurable UI principles.

Have you ever even used GNOME3 or non-patched GTK3? It's clearly for touchscreens, everything is made so that it's easy to hit with fingers, specifically for tablets where you use a thumb on each side of the screen. Just look at header bars or tab layout, or GNOME3 apps in general. It works nicely for that purpose and I can see that they know very well what they are doing, they are clearly good UI designers.
However it's a real pain to use with on a computer with a mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately they didn't communicate their intentions well to downstream so a lot of projects switched to GTK3 which made those programs unusable on standard computers with non-patched GTK3.

Install a wm

That's the way to go, but you're still not totally escaping GNOME. You also have to avoid any programs that use GTK3, otherwise you'll experience GNOME when it comes to UI elements layout, as well as the general UX in things like file chooser dialog (type-ahead navigation replaced with type-ahead recursive search).

KDE uses even more CPU. It's shit.

What happened to GNU/Linux being fast? 1.7GHZ should be more than enough but it maxes out 2 cores when I run GNOME or KDE on it.

Not to mention the inflated boot-times, RIP 5 second Boot-time, more like 2 minutes now.

False. Gnome 3 was never intended to work for the touchscreen. The main scientific principle that is the foundation for Gnome Shell (and their other Gnome software is) Fitts's law of human movement. Touchscreens were never the intent, Fitts's law was always the intent.

Microsoft Windows Explorer runs fast as hell even on 1GHz single core.

Microsoft Windows boots in 30 seconds.

Which version of Windows and how much does Microsoft pay you?

a) XFCE>Windows
b)My win7 drive for gayms takes like three minutes from startup to functional desktop.

best would be Windows XP 64bit

0$. Do you know who I should contact to get my shekels?

I tried XFCE, it's bugged crapware and it looks like shit. Only LXDE doesn't look like shit but then, LXDE is simple crap that has less functionality than Windows 3.11.

Maybe because you are goy who installs spyware, startup apps, antivirus garbage etc

it's just too comfy

gee, wonder why?

Are you seriously calling GNOME3 designers retarded just now? They know what they're doing, they have more experience than you, so have some respect. If they make an environment that is a real pain to use with a traditional mouse-and-keyboard setup but very nice to use on a touchscreen then their intention is clearly to make a touchscreen environment. Anything else implies that they're incompetent retards.

Not at all. I'm calling you retarded for fabricating a false narrative. Gnome 3 with Gnome shell works very well for keyboard and mouse users. The fact that it works well for touchscreen has always been irrelevant for the Gnome team. Gnome have never designed Gnome 3 for the touchscreen.

I know for a fact that using GNOME 3 and GTK 3 with a mouse is very painful since I've tried it extensively myself because I was mislead by people like you. What you're saying here is literally post-factual. I'm guessing you're butthurt because GNOME 3 abandoned the old traditional computers and moved to modern tablets, so you're spreading false news to paint their devs like retards. Sorry, but these post-truth tactics won't work on me. I've personally used GNOME 3 and GTK 3, I've carefully considered all UI decisions and what could the sane reasons behind them be. GNOME 3 is currently the best touchscreen environment available for GNU/Linux.

I use Gnome Shell with Xmonad. I have no problems use Gnome Shell with a keyboard and mouse. I don't know what is your malfunction.

Gnome 3 for the touchscreen has not been the Gnome team's main concern. Gnome's main concern has always been the desktop.

A touch screen desktop

In that case why not use WindowLab

OK, let's say we want to edit three text files in Gedit. So we open each file in a tab and, obviously, we want to switch between them! Now immediately we have a problem: the tabs are spread horizontally. Touchscreen users will be happy to see this because it is very easy to mistap with fingers when UI elements are too close together. But on a traditional computer we have to navigate our mouse from one end of the GUI to another just to switch between tabs 1 and 3. This is very painful.
We also want too look at multiple files at once! We open two Gedit windows one above the other. But there is a problem here again: the header bars are too big, taking precious screen space on our laptops. Touchscreen users will be happy with the ability to drag windows by the header bar, it was very painful to do this with traditional smaller window borders.
Now looking at the header bars we see an UI element in the right corner and another one in the left corner. Very sensible for tablet users who can use their thumbs efficiently. It has a lot of unused space in the middle so that we can tap and drag the window with our fingers there without accidentally pressing on some toolbar elements, like in the past. But on a traditional computer we have to drag our mouse all the way from one corner to another just to use all those options instead of them being right there on the bar. Again, very painful.
OK, we've written some words, let's now save those words to files. Ctrl+s works, the dialog has opened, very good. We want to save the file into a directory that starts with "e", so we type "e" to quickly navigate to that directory. Oh no, the dialog has started to search all subdirectory names for the substring "e". Clearly this works nice on a touchscreen where it is a pain to use the on-screen keyboard to navigate through all those subdirectories so we're happy to sacrifice exact navigation and a clear overview for a fuzzy navigation.

No problem, there are alternatives. For example, Nemo has type-ahead navigation, it doesn't use header bars and you can hide all bars, including the menu bar, it also have a very clean UI comparable to Files (ex-Nautilus). Very nice. But if we open some tabs we have the same problem as before with the spreading. It turns out Nemo uses GTK3.
For a Gedit replacement we can try Pluma. We do the same things as above, works very well, and finally we try to save our words to some files. The file dialog has opened, we type "e" to navigate to directory starting with "e". But the same problem is here again. It turns out Pluma also uses GTK3, which means the file chooser dialog is developed to work the same way as Files to get that nice UX consistency.

You see, it's clear that it's designed with touchscreen users in mind. The problem is that other projects and DEs were mislead by false narratives and thought GTK3 would also be usable for a desktop use. But that is not case, it is very well optimized for touchscreens and tablets instead. I don't think we can fault GNOME 3 developers, they try really hard to finally bring a touchscreen environment to GNU/Linux and in my opinion they succeed very well. We should blame trolls who mislead other developers and users by saying that this is still supports traditional desktop use.

Because the developers desperately want to be the Apple of the Linux world. What they don't realize is that if somebody wants Apple, they'll just use Apple.

I just use dwm and a bunch of standalone applications now, DMs are a fucking mistake.

t. i3 and cwm master race

It doesn't conform to the Gnome HIG.

I had to look-up what that is: developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
As far as I can understand this document: Human Interface (HI) is basically a kind of User Interface (UI) but more friendly to humans with human feelings instead of users with usage requirements. The first image you see also symbolizes tablets being put at the forefront with touchscreen display being put in the background. We know it is a touchscreen display because there is only keyboard pictured without a mouse, clearly warning humans (ex-users) of what to expect.

KDE all the way

Ubuntu got Red Hatted. 18.04 will ship with Gnome and Unity 8 is no more

Source?

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/

hahaha OP btfo beyond belief

do you have specific needs regarding the usage of your mouse? because i've been using it just fine. it may be a memoryhog and inefficient, but it's also easy to extend and use - once you get used to the interface. physical pain from gnome3. either you have some disability that makes it painful for you to move your hands at all or you're wildly exaggerating. its not like you cant alt+tab anymore.

this means they wont be fracturing shit with their special snowflake display server, right?

Oh user I like the funny things you say sometimes.

Holy fuck, GNU/Linux is seriously going to completely morph into Windows in the next decade.

So I turned in Tails again, and I couldn't bear it anymore, I wrote a WhisperBack bug report. Here you go:

Summary: User interface issues, usability problems

Name of the affected software
-----------------------------
Gnome3

Actual result and description of the error
------------------------------------------
- The whole UI is ugly, unintuitive. Even the top right corner, the "[Settings] / [Whatever the middle is] / [Shutdown]" buttons are missing text labels. Howering over with the mouse doesn't help either.
- Buttons / UI element shades are barely visible on non-HDR TFT displays.
- Wide and bold fonts everywhere. When a window is minimized, it gets a bracket and cuts up to 3 characters from the Window title. (WhisperBack becomes [WhisperB...) It is incredibly annoying if someone has many windows open.
- Backspace doesn't work in file explorer.
- start typing filename in the file explorer starts a search on the whole filesystem instead of scolling to the filename in the folder
- "Minimize/Unmaximize/Close" window buttons are HUGE compared to their icons, and with 0 indication where their borders are.
- Scroll-bar in windows is inconsistent, and hard to see.
For examle in the file browser the left side (folder tree) has bright scroll with dark background, the right side has dark scroll with bright background.
In detailed-view the scroll-bar extends to the non-scrollable area (the header line, which write Name, Size, Type...)
- In the file browser using detailed view, the "statusbar" completely screws over the last file at the bottom.
- In the media player using the scrollwheel anywhere outside the timeline should control the volume, like it does in ALL other media player software. (even in the mobile ones, the audio is controlled by the "up-down scroll motion", not the horizontal one.)

Desired result
--------------
Fix it.

Is this distro supposed to be secure? Won't be with such a bloat shit.

Gnome 2 was pretty based, tbqh. I riced the shit out of it in my time. Currently using awesome, even though I'm told i3 is the new hotness.

I really don't get it why all these Debian-based distros with a specific purpose, such as Tails and Kali, are using GNOME 3 when their user base probably doesn't want a touchscreen interface but a desktop one. My only explanation is that they think it has less security bugs because there are so many developers working on it, as opposed to something like XFCE or MATE. At least Whonix uses KDE which is fairly usable even if you've never used KDE before.

If you want to have the Cuck Experience of a Windows and macOS user but on GNU/Linux then Ubuntu is really the place to be right now, even ahead of Red Hat.

See
I prefer keyboard shortcuts where they are usable but mouse still has its use, it is in many cases easier and faster than weird keyboard combos, especially if you use a trackpoint where it's a matter of only moving your index finger slightly. By "painful" I didn't mean physically at all but metaphorically and also mentally, since I developed a serious case of PTSD from it and have to visit a therapist which specializes in bad UI experiences. She has many ex-GNOME 3 users among her clients.

systemd

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=676897

That's one example of a developer pushing the touch angle. Now show me the system where the design premise for Gnome is for touch screens. Two or three examples is not enough, I need some kind of document that states something along the lines of "we intentionally designed Gnome 3 for the touch screen" at the early analysis and design stage BEFORE the first release of Gnome 3.

Your conclusion that Gnome 3 is designed for the touch screen is based on the premise that you don't like to move the mouse. I cannot find this a convincing argument. I am also not convinced with your "fuzzy directory search" example. If you know that your directory begins with "e" then your directory is obviously going to be on the list.

Gnome 3 was not designed for the touchscreen. Gnome 3 was designed by Fitts's law. Gnome 3 does not care about traditional desktop use but a different desktop use where Fitt's law rules supreme.

wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen

I await to see where the goalpost will move to.

They're ideas about making Gnome 3 nice to use on touch screens. This doesn't show me that Gnome 3's inherent purpose is for the touch screen. The reason why I am very skeptical of your claim because I was in the Gnome mailing list while Gnome 3 was being designed. They have always envisioned Gnome 3 to be an experience for the desktop. This link does not change that vision for the desktop.

Not sure what you think my claim is, since I just started posting in the thread. If somebody has claimed that gnome3 is intended to exclusively be touch-garbage, that person is obviously wrong.

I will claim, however, that gnome3 is currently being designed with touch in mind and that can be at the detriment of a more classical desktop experience.

Touch (unfortunately) exists on desktop/laptops, so gnome being primarily intended as a desktop experience is fairly irrelevant. The focus of a project can also change over time, so gnome3 initially being designed as a non-touch UI is not really relevant either.

I can accept that there are various wishlists to improve Gnome 3 so it's nicer to use on touchscreen devices. I cannot accept Gnome 3's inherent mission is for the touch screen until I see a quote from the Gnome leadership about the mission change from the desktop to the touchscreen.

I can agree that Gnome 3's design makes it difficult to do the traditional desktop workflow. I know for a fact that Gnome 3 was intentionally designed to provide a desktop experience that's is not familiar to the traditional way.

Perverse as it is, it seems we are mostly in agreement.

I doubt gnome3 will go full touch, so I'm mainly annoyed they are doing this half-assed touch attempt at the detriment of absolutely everyone involved.

All DEs are bloated pieces of shit.
If you really care about having a pleasant, no bloated desktop then choose and use just a lightweight WM and uninstall your bloated DE.

My sibling of color. Finally managed to purge dbus from my system, feels gentoo.

systemd-gnome when

haha what the fuck

Gnome users kill yourselves unironically

Main problem I have with gnome is that any system that ends up with gvfs shit installed (even if you're using xfce or whatever) ends up with gvfsd-metadata or some other process crunching away with disk and cpu usage whenever you are not on the computer (or even when you are) as if it's fucking Windows.

I make all of the gvfs binaries non executable and then immutable and this seems to break nothing except the botnetlike behaviour of constant resource usage.

Technically if I do this and start some crap like firefox from a terminal I will get a message about gvfs being broken, but it does not matter for anything I can notice. And still to this day I have no clear explanation for why gvfsd-metadata has resource usage similar to an NTFS defragmenter plus [email protected]/* */ or even what the fuck it does at all.

I use gnome unironically.

I don't even have the indexing turned off.

I know it gets autists asshurt, but memory is cheap and guhnome isn't even using more than 200 MiB after several weeks uptime. Add the tracker, seahorse, and even fucking evolution, and it's still less than 512MiB (although you certainly aren't required to run all of these.) Especially with dynamic libraries, it's probably even less.

Also, friendly reminder to autists, that X.org will constantly use at least 50MiB doing nothing but acting as an almost unneeded stub for modern compositors :^) Wayland is the future, and you are not using it because you are autistic.

I assume you were the retard bitching about the .gvfs mounts, those are there for legacy compatibility and are 100% POSIX. As for resource usage, even if all of the fucking gvfs daemons are there, it's light as fuck. I even have two FUSE mounts right now with gvfs, and it's nothing. 25 MiB usage.

Also, gvfs certainly isn't using CPU time comparable to F&H. Please, stop being autistic. Mine are sitting at 0% utilization.

I should really just move to gentoo already.

that's all good but I could read your entire post before gedit even starts. right now i use leafpad if i need to paste some shit and vim for everything else.