Wine 2.5 is out

What's new:
- Support for message-mode named pipes.
- Translation of version resources through po files.
- Transform feedback support in Direct3D.
- Scheduler classes in C++ runtime.
- Better scrolling in popup menus.
- More improvements to the XML reader.
- Various bug fixes.

Where to get he source:

dl.winehq.org/wine/source/2.x/wine-2.5.tar.xz
mirrors.ibiblio.org/wine/source/2.x/wine-2.5.tar.xz

Binary packages:

winehq.org/download

Documentation:

winehq.org/documentation

Git repo

repository. Check winehq.org/git for details.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/62ngh4/wine_25_released/
tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216881
openmw.org/faq/#bethesda_legal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wine's gotten a lot better the past year. Lots of shit that used to not even load works perfectly now.

I know I could just compile or get a binary and then resolve dependencies, but I'm going to be too lazy to do that.
Today could be the day.

Apart form some mouse sensitivity issues, Oblivion, Fallout3, and New Vegas all run better on my Arch based RX480 box than they did in Windows 7 with my old 660ti. That might not sound like much, but I'm pretty happy.

Well, looks like I'm not installing it today.
The following packages have unmet dependencies: winehq-staging : Depends: wine-staging (= 2.4.0~stretch)E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What about wine-staging-nine?

Since you're on Debian, if you don't want to build it and don't want to wait, I believe your best option is getting a build from a launchpad repo.
I do have to warn you that installing shit this way may clobber some files provided by your distro if a package provides already existing files. Do take note of which software you install that way in case something breaks when upgrading shit.
also you may want to switch to unstable repos to have the latest kernel/library versions and avoid unmet dependencies with bleeding edge packages

I'll forever be salty I didn't get a 480 because my card had died and I couldn't hold off 2 more months. That and jews were charging 500 dollarydoos when it came out

I had a GTX 780 before, so the RX 480's kind of a side-grade all things considered. Decent F/OSS drivers for Gallium9 are a big plus though.

I got it installed. Turns out it was some audio library. Damn you for making me work.

My box is still rocking a 6970.

I might be missing something, but how are Macfags ever going to get DX10+11 support in Wine if Apple isn't updating OpenGL anymore?

ass

The original Bioshock seems to be working again.

nice proprietary software, faggot

When people install Wine, it's highly probable that they're using it to run proprietary software.

Would you rather I play these games on Windows?

play supertuxkart you pussy

Using proprietary software when there is no alternative is not against the GNU paradigm. However, games aren't actually necessary, or so it is said. For some here, it's the only way to relax at the end of the day, so you can think of it like a mental health software. Plus wine can be sandboxed quite easily.

There is a new unstable Wine release every two weeks. Is there a reason to make a new thread for this one?

Codeweavers might do it in Metal or something like that. This abandonment of OpenGL is the same shit Apple had done the last time Steve Jobs left the company, they thought they were the hottest shit in town and would make their own technology. Only this time there is no way for him to come back, short of necromancy.

Windows VM in QEMU+KVM with GPU passthrough and you'll get 99% native speed, all games will work too. Much better than wine.

Wine's been getting better lately, so I figuered why not open a thread. I suppose I shouldn't have tied it to this particular release.

You couldn't actually choose a GOOD example of libre vidya?

But this is explicitly allowing the program to get out of the sandbox.

IOMMU

Not buying a Windows license and I'm not going to bother pirating.

And the one Windows game I still care about still doesn't work.

IOMMU will prevent a malicious guest from compromising the host with DMA attack, but the guest could still reflash the firmware on the video card.

Is there a place where newfags can learn how to WINE? A lot of games don't seem to run out of the box without some kinds of tinkering.

Is basic literacy and punctuation proprietary, you edgy little boy?

You deserve to be left in the dark.

That's why you have two video cards. A powerful but compromised one used by windows and a cheaper one for linux. The only security vulnerability the windows box could have is (other then a bug in QEMU/KVM) if somehow the video card firmware infects the BIOS, but the motherboard model shouldn't be passed through to the windows guest so it would be extremely difficult unless there's a bug that effects a large percent of motherboards.

By not using Microsofts OS? Wine is a compromise for me; actually using Windows again would be going too far. Besides, Most of the WIndows games I still care about are DX9 based, so I get the Gallium9 performance boost anyway.

The only games I play are old enough to run fine in wine too. It's just the point that you're too lazy to pirate windows.

Anyone try it on a DX11 game yet? The only Windows game that doesn't work on WINE that I still give a shit about is EDF 4.1

Post more hot cartoon chicks

I can't play teaching feeling. I can't do lewd things to her. Feels wrong.

Whatever you say Mr. Windows user.

TF runs in Wine; you just have to set it to Xp mode.

Is that GNOME or KDE? I like that workspace switcher.

No, that's not the issue. The game runs fine. I just can't bring myself to keep going.

Whatever you say newfag.

It's actually pretty common to use whitespace in posts when trying to separate quotes, to the point that there are several different styles, just like in programming.

Gnome with dash-to-panel and topicons extensions.

OK... But they have to be drinking Wine.

Whatever you say, user.

I've asked this before but never got a real answer: How much trouble would it be for MS to shut Wine down if they wanted? I mean, Wine has to be violating some kind of patents.

My 6970 died the day before the RX480 came out.

I guess that's a sign. I've been meaning to get a new card. Does RX480 play well with GNU/Linux?

It works well with Ubuntu 16.04 which is what I am running.

Cool. Might pick one up next week, then. Honestly, it used to be ATI/AMD drivers sucked ass for us, but now it seems to be the better chip.

MS can't shut down Wine
Besides the fact that it would've done it already if it could've had, Wine does not have anything owned by MS inside
They just recreate the same behaviour through black-box reverse engineering (i.e. they just recreate the behaviour, not the code), which is still legal to do, thankfully
Patents are the reason why systems like Linux or applications like Wine do not always work or if they do it's not in an optimal way
They simply have nothing that might be patented, which makes them not working, or at best some stub that don't tread over patents, which makes them work half the times

I don't know of any. The first thing to do is to check the game on the AppDB, there you will usually find some tricks. If a DLL is needed you should check Winetricks for a package with that DLL or find it on the internet and dump it next to the game's EXE. You can also try reading the Wine log, if a DLL is missing it might appear there. And of course there is lots of blind trial and error.

They tried and they failed, so I'd say Wine is safe.

OP is a redditor
reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/62ngh4/wine_25_released/

Apparently you are too.

i was only on reddit clicking links that go away from reddit

When did this happen?

Wew lad. You're only outing yourself even more.

lol why dumb linuxers even use Wine? If you like windows and windows apps so much, why not stay on Microsoft Windows?
haha even linuxers know that proprietary apps are best apps

source?

Those aren't even the same two anons, idiot.

Playing a game in Wine is WAY different than running Windows 10 just to play games. At least Wine isn't spying on you.

How is Wine different from windows xp/7? Maybe that Wine only works half of the time.

Neither is old windows

Just use VM, you autistic CIAniggers.

Wine lacks the malicious features found in genuine Microsoft Windows, for one.

XP, Vist and your beloved Win7 all had/have backdoors and spying features.

I'm not a Windows user; I don't use Windows.

Is Gallium 9 ever going to be mainlined? Will Gallium 10/11 ever be a thing?

We really need a proper Wine tan.

Chinese children cartoon shows and video games, the reason why I come to post on Holla Forums.

Nice.

Always happy to trigger your autism, user.

All anime posted in this thread, as most anime in general is, is specifically marketed to and designed for teenagers and/or adults, here mostly for men. The idea of cartoons as 'for kids' is not only a particularly western delusion, but a somewhat new one too, the same goes for cute things.
Video games are an extremely popular form of entertainment, their availability is an important part of an operating systems practicality for most people, since most people have their computer in part to play video games.
The kind of attitude in your post is not only extremely pretentious, but seemingly willfully ignorant as well.

when Holla Forums was ded I ran around the internet trying to find something to read
I ended up reading /r/linux_gaming and /r/linux

Also, you fuck off too you're just as bad as him.

What did you mean by this?

There's a kind of person I learned about and that you should too user.
There are some people who for whatever reason purposefully spew retarded nonsense and then actually expect to be treated seriously, I don't know how they become like this or why but they exist and you should just ignore them.
all of my relatives are like this pls help

I'm just happy I still have an easy way to play the original Fallout games until Falltergeist is finished.

Huh, guess I was misremembering things.

If they just stopped writing more engines, and concentrated on porting the campaign over... Jeez. Isn't it strange that Infinity got a playable source port aeons ago in the form of GemRB, in spite of the Infinity modscene being mostly dead, yet the hyper-autistic Fallout 1/2/Tactics modscene has failed to produce a single working source port?

The older modding communities are surprisingly dumb when it comes to understanding how much better an open source engine would be for modding. They'd rather people patch their ancient, binary only tools than "waste" time developing open source replacements. The Fallout and Tomb Raider modding communities in paticular have this problem.

tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216881

Source port implys it's the original code that got opened up, and then ported to new platforms. More like the Doom games and not from-scratch projects like GemRB, OpenMW, ect.

This.
Sometimes I wonder if the people proposing using binary tools aren't just corporate shills.
I mean they have the money to do anything.
Look what they did with gnu social.
A fag forks the project, calls it mastodon, he's a SJW cuck.
Cucks gets some calls from corporations.
Finances his shit in exchange of datamining.
People migrates to his shitty rails on ruby fork.
Cucks gets money and trans pussy.
Gnu social becomes Mastodon.
Why do history has to repeat itself ?

I doubt Square-Enix gives one single fuck about the classic Tomb Raider modding community.

That's just mutilated dick.

You underestimate jews.

That is astonishingly retarded, don't these idiots realize it would be way easier to make modding tools with a fully functional source base for them to target? Not to mention increasing the playerbase by allowing people to play without hunting down hacky fixpacks, and lifting limits like resolution/framerate/texture size.

Huh, I was about to insist that "source port" refers to anything designed to completely replicate the original code's function to the point of being compatible with its unmodified assets, but Wikipedia describes source ports as separate from engine recreations, though offers no term to act as a superset of both, to distinguish them from emulation.

They also seem to have no idea how hard keeping these crusty old binaries working is going to be.

This is the conclusion I came to when I spent some time thinking about Stallman's free software movement. Its obvious to me that users want to improve the software that they use. To me, it makes far better sense to be cooperating in tinkering with source code rather than to expend that energy to twiddle with binary code in order to patch in some more binary code.

The idea with binaries is supposed to be that the developer actively maintains their old code, in addition to providing both a good public API for users, and high-quality tools and services for 3rd parties to customize things. Linux even works somewhat like this, with its fucktarded unstable ABI.

Of course, this isn't the case with the game industry, where the only devs I can think of off the top of my head that actively maintain and port games older than a prequel or two are Blizzard and Valve.

Indeed, the Japanese are the Jewiest of Jews.

Or they could go the way of Id and just GPL their old code so that people can maintain and explore their games.

Shame Id can't do that anymore.

good IGPU support fucking when

What? Last I checked they were still going to do that.

Zenimax has a "no unofficial binaries" policy and I doubt they'll let id release their id tech 5 source code while they're still using it for shit.

They'd probably shut down OpenMW if they could.

They completely sperged out once when one OpenMW community member ported the code to Android. The gist was that he was curious if he could get it to run, hacked around on the source, got some result and uploaded a video to YouTube. Game Professional Bloggers Journalists came across the video and in their incompetence began writing clickbait articles how "Morrowind is coming to Android" like it was something official. Bethesda caught wind of it and went "Oy vey, shut it down" on OpenMW because they did not want Morrowind on devices it was not originally released for. A compromise was reached that OpenMW would stay away from mobile phones and tablets, they would not support or advertise it running there, but they also wouldn't be held responsible is someone decided to port OpenMW to mobile devices on their own again.

There is a FAQ entry here:
openmw.org/faq/#bethesda_legal

I don't get Bethesda or Zenimax in this regard; people still need the original games and if Bethesda/Zenimax ever decided to port Morrowind to tablets they have an already running engine they can just take.

The fact is that there is VERY little they can actually do about it. If someone wanted to take the code and make an Android version, it's not like they could sue the OpenMW devs.

Now, once they get wind that foss engines for Oblivion and Fallout 3+NV and maybe even Skyrim might grow out of OpenMW... shit may well hit the fan.

There is nothing that Zenimax can do once people fork OpenMW to make it work with Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim etc. OpenMW is a clean room implementation of these games and the community surrounding it do not condone the unauthorized distribution of the proprietary gaming assets.

The only problem that happened is when journalists who don't understand free software who also misunderstand OpenMW start spouting bullshit like "Morrowind is being ported to Android". This is not the fault of the OpenMW team and is everything to do with shoddy journalism.

I didn't care for FO3. but I liked New Vegas (still pissed the mormon mummy and Benny weren't companions). Would be happy to be able to play it in relative freedom.

Y'know, were it not for the performance hit you get from translating DX9 to OpenGL, I'd be perfectly fine with people porting over older games with Wine. It'd be an inprovement over eON at least.

Just use playonlinux...

You mean Virtual Machine?

Life is suffering.

Considering the problems that POL is having with the rewrite... And the fact that there are A LOT of platimum and gold rated games missing installers. Yeah, no, PlayonLinux is better left avoided til they show progress on the rewrite.

Couldn't you just get a more recent Wine with a PPA?

How can I get the 64bit steam client to work? I tried different wine versions and configurations (-no-cef-sandbox, winXP, win7, win10...) the script provided by playonlinux just installs a 32bit client...

this is what Holla Forums has become, 8/tech/ might as well be 4/g/ at this point. for shame.

Get your priorites in order, user.

Play on linux is good for running multiple versions of wine and keeping things organized. The automated installation has always been shit.

These days, I just use Lutris for that.

You can't, 64-bit WINE is shit and unsupported.

a-anyone currently running LoL (even if it's the old client) on wine? what configs? And what about the new client? did anyone have success with it?

It's gold rated as of Wine 2.2.

RX 470 with amdgpu, 4.7 kernel. 32-bit XP SP3 prefix. Installed Mono and Gecko (also tried winetricks for dlls, no difference)
Last time tried both new (bloated piece of shit) and old client on preseason with wine 1.9.23 (vanilla, CSMT, and nine). Impossible to sustain 60 FPS in-game on any graphics preset. OpenGL is unusable; text becomes unreadable
Maybe I should try again now

I'd just as soon they skipped Oblivion and got to work on OpenFO3 and OpenNV.

and the old one uses adobe AIR so pick your cancer

Anyone get >60 FPS on it? FX-6300 and R9 270x here.

what are you talking about

what DE/distro u running there? has a wincuck 10 feel to it imo.

Looks like Gnome Shell with the Topicons and Dans-to-Panal extensions.

Not even once. Why don't you just install windows and stop pretending your le hacker, you cuck?

Except this time he's not coming back...

Necromancy is not resurrection of the dead. As with all other "mancies", it's a method of divination. ie getting information from the dead.
So no, Jobs is not coming back.

Wine isn't a botnet, user. And even RMS would say you are better off running non-free games in Wine on GNU/Linux than you'd be running them in Windows.

or
(no network) playstation 4: push butan, gaymer fun time get

I'd imagine Wine runs more games.

WINE actually has greater legacy compatibility than any one version of native Windows. Porting the WINE DLLs over to Windows 10 would be extremely useful.

I don't see why MS does't use wine for legacy support.
Wine could be ported to windows and MS could focus less on backward/forward compatability..
MS supporting WINE would give them 2 decades of lazy dominance (legacy software is huge).
We're reaching the point where some old software is more stable on wine.
remember when XP supported virtual-8086 DOS programs, once they dropped it, DOSBOX became THE superior replacement.
Lets face it, people have been working for free on 'unnoficial ms products' like FreeDOS, WINE, MONO, etc. and they all benefit MS.
MS wants you trapped in their box, even if you're not paying for their shit.

I would've agreed with this question right up to Windows 8, when M$ looked at post-iOS Apple and wanted a serving of them sweet, sweet walled gardenbux. Windows RT, Secure boot, UWP, Windows Store... Combined with MS's first taste of what gullible consumers will let them get away with from the XBox (especially XBL paid online), and perhaps lingering butthurt from the unfavorable reception of Vista, I think MS now wants Windows' legacy dead and buried.

The future they want is one where everything (OSs, software, hardware drivers, online services, storage) are single-sourced through their walled garden; "sold" exclusively as perpetual rentals, and enforced by cryptosignatures that all authors must comply with the terms of MS's ever-changing devkit license or face summary revocation.

Old wintel as a platform, so long as any continuity or compatibility exists, presents a competitive threat to where MS is trying to go.

All those run on non-Windows systems. Any mistake Microsoft makes to themselves is good for everyone else. Now we only need to solve the new cancer that is Apple and Google.

But what could MS actually do about Wine?

Not an achievement since the ps4 completely lacks a game.

So if I understand this right, most of the performance hit you get with Wine comes from translating D3D to OpenGL... Does this mean games that run in OpenGL and Vulkan should have close to native performace?

Like said, WINE is off M$'s radar unless it starts targeting their herds of mooing normalfags. The closest we've come so far was Valve's Linux push, a purely tactical maneuver, which seems to have been sufficiently intimidating if rumors of Valve getting concessions and winding down SteamOS are true.

would be better if they actually made games

The biggest bottleneck are/were the drivers, at least for AMD. I'm using mesa and wine with d3d9 support, and the performance is still way worse than on Windows, because SUMO/TURKS drivers aren't that good.

I agree that Valves Linux push was all about keeping MS in line. SteamOS is firmly on the back burner now, but Valve can't just let Steam for Linux die, since MS is still pushing for their own closed ecosystem (just more slowly). Recently, we have seen Valve putting more resorces into improving the open Mesa drivers, especially the radv Vulkan drivers. I do feel MS WILL try to push people into their walled garden again sooner than we'd like to think; it just make too much sense business-wise.

*makes too much sense

The Open AMD drivers have made a LOT of good progress this past year, but they still have a ways to go.

Afaik AMDGPU for the newer cards has comparable performance to windows drivers already, but radeon won't see any significant performance boosts, as most of those cards are something like 2+ years old.

Looks like Wine's Xinput support has made progress. My DS4 works out of the box with some games now.

Macfag, I tak it?

>noone went to .pl/tech/
sigh

Pretty sure more people went to fucking endchan than .pl.

Does anyone have a good wine prefix frontend?
PlayOnLinux is dogshit and Swine is unmaintained.
I guess I could just do it manually, but meh.

Maybe I should make something like Swine, but not crusty qt4/Python shit.

Lutris is what I've been using lately.

Does Gallium 9 not support Gallium hud? That would be pretty ironic.

Working for me in Dragon's Dogma and Darksiders now. I didn't even know they were working on xinput.

What in the world does this mean in practice? Is it possible to pipe the output of Virtualdub from WINE to ffmpeg in GNU for instance?

Are you me?

I tested again on 2.6 Gallium-Nine with an RX 470 and still barely getting 60 FPS, with frequent dips during normal gameplay, even at lowest settings). It still runs perfectly on a GTX 960 last I heard.

it's still cancerous, if not even moreso. What with taking up as much RAM as the original, or even more, and freezing computers that ran the old one flawlessly.

Yes, it does. Tried it in LoL and it shows up.

is 32-bit gstreamer really the only way to play videos in eroge? Many programs fail to play opening video, or crash when they should start to play. Once I compiled 32-bit plugins including bad and ugly they play but MPEG1 for example is buggy and doesn't always work. 32-bit plugins are not in arch repos, which is why i assume there is better way to play videos in wine (1.8.4 in AUR doesn't work with wine btw).

So... is this basically the Wine general now? 'Cause 2.7 is out.

There's a wine version in playonlinux called "1.9.2 enforce large address aware". What does it mean? Please explain.

Also there's a bug with wine and heroes 3 horn of the abyss (a fucking 1993 game with a 2015 mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!) where some spells are invisible (frost ring, fireball and meteor shower).

Wine is fucking useless. Playonlinux is 1000x better.

Are you drunk? Playonlinux is just a GUI front end of wine.

Is there any way to tweak wine's audio buffer settings? I keep getting that annoying micro-dropout crackling sound in certain games skyrim

Is that Solus GNOME edition?

Only open source drivers support G9 and most Linux "gamers" are so cucked they happily use Nvidia's new cards with the blob driver.

He's on Holla Forums soo... yes?

Last I tried it ran perfectly except the icons in the shops. There was a "simple" fix for this which I don't recall but should be on the page.

If you get me a 780 equivalent that won't burn my house down i'll happily install the open sauce driver.

Playonlinux might be whatever you want it to be, but the point still stands, nice strawman though.

If you want to play and install a *working* video game, using playonlinux "install an un-listed program in a new virtual drive" and choosing the libraries and wine version yourself is a vastly superior version to double-clicking install and then hoping wine magically makes it work, or worse, having to configure winecfg and winetricks differently every single time you want to launch a different game.

That'd be the RX 480.

Now buy me one and mail it.
I'll be waiting.