Should I start reading Swamp Thing, and should I start at the beginning?

Should I start reading Swamp Thing, and should I start at the beginning?

Why do you think you should be reading Swamp Thing? Do you have an interest in weird swamp monsters?

There is no real beginning for corporate heroes. This goes double for characters like Swamp Thing, who are routinely torn apart by various writers to the point that even their origin isn't consistent.

So no, you don't start at the beginning, unless you have a taste for 70's DC horror.

Just watch the cartoon, then read Alan Moore's run.

Start at The Heap then move on to Giant Size Man-Thing, and then read Moore's run.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised by Len Wein's run. It may look campy, but it's pretty good stuff. I would say it's a good start, at least to give you the feeling of the character before Moore gave him his twist.

I can't talk about everything else between him and Moore, though.

The early comics are solid, though they're clearly aimed more towards children than the Moore run and onwards. Worth taking a look at at least.

pirate Moore's run

Make sure to read the "muh shoah" issue from the Mark Millar run. It's a riot.

Oh, and read the issue where Swamp Thing gets pregnant.

Plant-based fractal organisms? What, like …romanesco? Swamp Thing is broccoli now?

Fractals… Oh, this must be from back when Millar thought he was Grant Morrison, thus the lack of SHITCOCK and DEAD BABIES.

I read the first Swamp Thing comics and I liked when he was just a guy who became a plant monster, rather than a plant monster who had the memories of the man and then he becomes some sort of defender of The Green, whatever the flying fuck that is

The green is the collective plantlife of the planet. I thought that was pretty obvious.

I would like to restate my previous opinion of 'Whatever the fuck that is', because that sounds goddamned dumb.

Well, if you think that's dumb, wait until you hear about The Grey.

HEAP!

I liked it the other way around

oy vey, something tells me "Millar" is not an actual german.

These kikes get more delusional every day.

What is the medical value of the hupig?

To be fair, the story is set in an alternate timeline where the Nazis won, and wiped literally every non-white person from the face of the Earth. Not that that isn't laughable in itself.