Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rxvt-unicode#Font_spacing
etalabs.net/uuterm.html
st.suckless.org/patches/alpha
8ch.net/tech/res/730891.html#q731067
debian.org/security/2014/dsa-3035
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

technically I guesspolite sage because this is going to end up being a distro e-peen thread

I prefer others roll their balls through needles first so that the infected ones get detected and fixed before I get to sit my balls on them.

Yes. I use Debian Unstable on PCs I frequently use, and Stable on servers and computers I only use occasionally.

yep

yes

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rxvt-unicode#Font_spacing

thank me later

GNU/Windows MSYS2 is apparently a rolling distro.

Cygwin is too.

Not bad. I never really noticed the extra space until now

currently not, planning to switch my laptop to openSUSE Tumbleweed though

for what purpose

NetBSD-current, updated ~2-3 times a week since 1996.

Die, bourgeoisie scum with your 486 in 1996. No fair to us working class poor fucks compiling linux kernel on their 386SX25.

Still, `make world` on my hp jornada some years later was probably the worst.

>using bloated terminals instead of godly st

If you want a memeterminal, there is always

etalabs.net/uuterm.html

Which can run on a fucking framebuffer and doesnt need X at all.

why wouldn't you just use the tty in that case?

Kernel "emulator" is barely vt100 and only superficially unicode. The point (and most complexity) of a modern terminal emulators is proper unicode cell support.

It's just a more subtle way of disguising the fact that terminal, like urxvt, is only capable of rendering a tiny fraction of unicode while lying about what it can do.

Yes.

As for
No, you're just confused about what VT ANSI codes encompass. There's no ANSI code for dynamic switching between font faces, only few font effects. Thus there is no need for dynamic font face support - you get only the one you predefine for the session.

As for unicode, you're right that RTL support is typically omitted as theres no sane way to use that with LF/CR-style terminal output.

As for the reason for things like uuterm to exist - not every platform can afford to run whole X just to display fonts.

Psst. mlterm.

user, there is no one font that covers all of Unicode. You need a few dozen if you want to be able to display every script from Kannada to Swahili. And they're all TrueType.

Fbterm does that shit much better.

GNU Unifont

Still a subset.

But user, st does everything you'd ever need from a terminal emulator while looking great and shedding all the useless bloat. Why would you suffer anything else?

st doesn't have support for transparent backgrounds so it'll never look great.

fuckkn immortalized

How do I do fallback fonts like urxvt? Configuring fontconfig is too much work.

st.suckless.org/patches/alpha

8ch.net/tech/res/730891.html#q731067
compton-trans -c 80

No. I run Debian Stable in all my machines with Firefox release and LibreOffice backports only.

I don't want my system to break under any circumstances. Even Ubuntu 14.04 LTS gave me problems with a kernel update.

I really want my system to boot and work. I don't care if I'm using an outdated package as long as it does what I need it to. Also, it saves bandwith.

Yes, I use Windows 10

underrated post

samefag

You wish faggot.

Debian can fucking die.

Yeah. Especially with its systemd shitstorm. GENTOO FTW

Debian has fucked up branch naming.

stable means ancient
unstable means rock-stable
testing means mostly stable
experimental means unstable

No, I'd fallen for the rolling release meme too, with shit breaking from time to time with updates, and me having to bow to the distro maintainer's will, only being able to modify the distro slightly as to not to break with the next update. Sure, most breakages are easily fixable or worked around, but that often makes updating a pain in the ass. Also, may god be with you if you decide not to update for a few months.
Since then, I've switched to Slackware, and it's glorious. I don't have to worry about updates, because there's only security updates, and I can make the distro bow to my will without having to worry about it breaking with the next update.

I use Void on my server. But I've dealt with enough infuriatingly mistimed broken packages pushed into stable by Canonical that I would never want rolling release on my desktop and laptop.

you have probably used archshit

JUST

I've used arch, manjaro and void and gentoo.
While arch and manjaro liked to break more often, it's not unheard of on void and gentoo.

I used to track the openBSD snapshots, but it was too much of a pain in the ass to keep up, currently just running release since it takes a shitton of time to compile stable on my chinkpad

What do you need? Kernels are backported afaik.

Yes, you retards. Stable has old packages. Linux with updated packages is unstable, deal with it.

Debian Stretch is going to be the new stable really soon. Just install that

That's what I can't find any info on. What is it like to run testing during the full freeze period? I know packages get removed a lot. But does it get security updates as soon as stable?

What an analogy

Not really, as upstream shit tends to get patches fast.

Yep and old packages = unpatched and vulnerable shit.
And yes, I know devs still patch the old packages but sometimes it takes time.
I remember it took a few days for the first shellshock shit to get a patch on an stable Debian I had on a VPS while the Arch I have on my desktop was already safe because the Bash version on it already had fixed the problem ages ago.

Debian patched within a day of the announcement. debian.org/security/2014/dsa-3035

Arch patched in about an hour, but the initial bugfix was incomplete, and it took them 36 hours to push the fix for the second CVE.

Why do people still think stable means system stability

Stable in the context of Debian or CentOS/Redhat means not changing.

mind sharing your colorscheme?

urxvt*foreground: #ddddddurxvt*background: #000000*color0: #2E3436*color1: #a40000*color2: #4E9A06*color3: #C4A000*color4: #3465A4 *color5: #75507B *color6: #ce5c00 *color7: #babdb9 *color8: #555753 *color9: #EF2929 *color10: #8AE234 *color11: #FCE94F *color12: #729FCF *color13: #AD7FA8 *color14: #fcaf3e *color15: #EEEEEC

Why does CentOS even exist?

Guess the distro. It's gentoo

I'm using Tumbleweed on my laptop (and server kek)

just werks