Why aren't you using Mac OS 9?

Why aren't you using Mac OS 9?

It probably can't replace your main computer but they're damn good machines for casual shitposting. Hell, pick up a later Powerbook g4 12" and you'll be set for hours of shitposting on the go for next to no money.

Because I don't suck dicks

Why?

?????????

You ever tried to run Linux on hardware from this time? Fucking nothing works. Macs from this era can be had for next to nothing and still give reasonable enough performance if you set them up right.
Something to do with the browser not being set up right, this is a clean install of os9 that I put on my new iBook g3.

Because, Pic related.

Because I don't have AIDS.

Because, Pic related.

Nah fuck that all of that is post-PPC. I'm talking about right when Steve came back to Apple, in the golden age of Apple design and functionality. When they switched to Intel things went downhill fast.

/thread

Because it's unusable compared to GNU/Linux in every possible way. I am forced to use frequently when I have to fix shit for a friend. There's simply no reason to use it other than the hard on you get at the thought of being fucked over by Apple.

Because it uses preemptive multitasking and doesnt have protected memory. When I was a kid I learned to program C on system 7-9 and eventually on OS X. You have no idea how much time I spent waiting for my computer to reboot because I had a bug which caused the entire computer to crash.

I used LinuxPPC on a PowerMac G3 tower and OpenBSD on a ][si

They always had problems. For a few years I worked in educational environments doing mac repairs. You remember those iMacs with CRTs? Well guess what, the plastic inside near the faceplate would become incredibility brittle after a couple years of UV expose and would shatter if you ever had to work on the system to do things like replace the analog board. Every time I had to replace one I would have to tell the people that this computer might disintegrate when I open it up and it'll cost a couple hundred more to replace than it should because apple chose a shitty plastic.

that guy gives off the "i look smart but i'm actually retarded" vibe

I don't see anything "smart" even if I look really deep into his eyes and inspect every corner of his soul. That guy is haunted by demons of every dead macfag.

A windows phone has more functionality and utility than that turd

I cut my teeth on System 7, I absolutely loved Macs back in the day, and I still love the interface. Yeah, I could get one for nostalgia, or to run old programs that were never ported. But it is clearly obsolete, so it is not viable as a daily driver.

Now that's a bit too harsh.

Embarrassing.

Can any GNU/Linux configuration do this?

Yes, but that's responsibility of desktop environment. KDE for example does this out of the box.

I remember that. Also things like Marathon and other games which were cutting edge at their time. Why is EV on its own disk though?

It kind of can if you use remote desktop services. And TBH this is a pretty useless feature. I'm never once rebooted my macbook and said i'm glad a ton of apps launched right after a update. And for a lot of apps it is entirely useless. Oh great it reopened half a dozen terminal windows, but none of the programs I was using in them are running, and the scroll back buffers have been cleared.

Sexy vcr though, kek.
Seriously who uses them nowerday's?
Apart from hipsters that is.

Any OS can, it's called hibernation on most other OSes.

I lack homosexual urges.

OP is a better user then you 2

Why do you retards infect Holla Forums?

On Windows the hibernation mode is a complete shutdown while all open projects are saved to disk. You don't get laid much, do you?

Go outside once in a while.

because its obselete. nothing these days works, and there are succeeding versions that work way better. if you want a shittop, get a thinkpad and run linux on it. distractions should be up to your own will and motivations, rather than a restriction set by how old it is.

New macos is my favorite os but the hardware is too expensive and hackintoshes are buggy.

I can get a Raspberry Pi Zero with 8x the specs for 1/8 the price.

Hibernation does not work for OS updates which is the whole point, while hibernation shuts down the hardware the OS is put in a suspended state, it doesn't halt for shutdown like normal, it suspends and resumes. With the other systems you can actually update your OS without losing your workspace, the lack of this feature is probably the only reason people dislike the forced updates in Windows 10, if it retained state I don't think anyone would care.

Good luck finding one in stock, kek. If specs are a big deal, a Powerbook g4 can be had for not much more.

Too bad, getting fucked in the ass is pretty fun.

the virus is you

Obsolete is subjective, if the system works fine for what you need to do and is reasonably secure, is it really obsolete?

Eh, Mavericks and Yosemite were probably the best. El Capitan was pretty good, but sierra is a buggy piece of shit. Hackintosh desktops are usually pretty damn stable if you choose your hardware correctly though, my old one was stable for a year and only came down because I sold it.

the only way that thing could be secure is if you isolate it completely, thus, making it more useless.

So few people are going to be using these on the web, it is HIGHLY unlikely that any sort of malware could make its way onto the system. Security through obscurity.

yea it's impossible for people to see what OS you use online and apply exploits automatically.

You use a user agent switcher to have sites load a barebones mobile version, mine is set to symbian. You get faster load times+security.

you are hacked right now

Alright, those operating systems can restore what I was doing before I shut the computer down. But what operating system can restore my will to live?

Because it's outdated, buggy, and difficult to interface with anything else. Worse, anything past about System 7.4 is contaminated with Windows-isms and *N*X-isms (needless shared libs and mandatory system components littering the Extensions folder, invisible folders full of system garbage, items without icons or human-readable names, premade default folders like Applications and Documents, pathname-dependent applications, insufficient Balloon Help and Guides, intentional HID noncompliance, things stored in the binary fork or heaps of files that should be in the resource fork, file extensions, poor or no AppleEvent/AppleScript support, deprecation of superior Apple proprietary standards in favor of inferior MS/*N*X ones, etc.). I still have my MDD 2003 G4 with GF4Ti, and Quadra 660av, but I only use them for old apps and maximum comfy.

An entire buzzword-compliant OS with the purity of intent and perfection of design that classic Macs had is impossible short of an eccentric millionaire in today's age (if not, Haiku would've achieved it long ago), but you know what I'd really like. A MAC LIKE DE FOR LINUX.

Every Linux DE is absolute garbage. It's either based off old UNIX DEs like HP-UX/Solaris/IRIX/etc (all garbage), MS Windows (also garbage), OS X (complete garbage), or iOS/Android/Metro (do I even have to call it garbage?).

I want a spatial file manager, I want GUI tools to configure everything any normal non-autist would expect them to, I want thorough and up-to-date built-in documentation (not a wiki on a stupid website), I want a well designed internally consistent HIG for everything including ported applications to follow, and I want the design to be stable and done in advance. Even sitting atop the ancient creaking POSIX mess of config files and CLI trash that is a "modern" OS, even if nearly every program was noncompliant junk targeting other DEs, the daily user experience would be a godsend for me.

Such a thing wouldn't be totally unprecedented, since there are Linux DEs knocked off from other dead platforms like Acorn RiscOS, Amiga Workbench, and NeXT OpenStep. Sadly, I'm not aware of anything like this for classic Macs, not even a good knockoff of the classic Finder (there's Pathfinder for OS X, but no equivalent file manager for Linux or Windows).

I thought the groundwork for this was lain in OS 8.5, but none of Apple's mobo drivers ever actually supported it?