Raspberry pi

So I just got a raspberry pi for free. It used to be used to display ads on a display at some sort of grocery store. I haven't booted it yet, so I have no idea what's on it. What should I do with it Holla Forums?

shove it up your arse, post pics with timestamp

Get a parts kit for it and an altoid box

Let's be honest though there are a lot better single board computers out there

You should ban this guy for disrespecting a moderator

Use it to control a /robowaifu/ subsystem user. Something simple like a single leg or arm.

implant it in your body. that is the new thing to do to be edgy and cutting edge. you'll get interviewed by the new york times too.

Does.. does it operate on the power of wubs?

It's already in a little black box, I'll have to look at parts kits. I received it with an ethernet cable, hdmi cable, and a power cable which is just a micro usb to usb plugged into an iphone block charger

Doesn't get much better than free though

That would be pretty cool

Sounds painful

post pics with something for scale I wanna see what model it is

I'd have to get something to pop the tabs on this little box to get it out which I don't feel like doing right now, but maybe you can tell without me having to do that?

So I booted it up, and it definitely has Linux on it. It boots to LXDE with a terminal open which then runs Xibo. It says "Xibo Open Source Digital Signage". After sitting for a while, it starts advertising at me. It's trying to sell me coffee, espresso, and tea.

Whoever set it up was smart enough to change the default user password, but that didn't stop me for very long. Pulled the sd card out, put it into my USB sd card reader, mounted it, edited cmdline.txt to add init=/bin/sh, booted it back up, ran su, and used passwd to change the password. Shut it down, and removed that line I added to cmdline.txt, and now I have control of the user. Doesn't seem to be anything interesting on here though, all it does is run xibo at boot. I noticed it runs an apache server, but all that seems to be for is managing xibo. I get a login page for it when I go to localhost. It runs mysql but there aren't any interesting databases in there.

just go get a copy of NOOBS and you can pick what you want to run on it op.

turn it into a NES emulator and sell it online for $2,000

I ended up putting raspbian lite on it, does NOOBS have some sort of benefit over just going with raspbian lite? I'm pretty technology literate, so I don't really need anything to hold my hand for me if that's all it's good for. Right now I'm configuring i3 wm

You are kind of lucky OP. Afaik the early raspberry pis are kind of rare now. I wish i had one to add to my raspberry pile.

While there may be better boards. There is nothing better for learning about linux if it interests you.

I definitely love messing with Linux, so it's nice to have around. I run Arch as my OS on my PC right now but I've been considering switching back to Debian eventually so this Raspbian shit is cool to do some experimentation with. I'm still not really sure what I'm going to do with it besides customize the OS though.

Good news is I've managed to use much less space on the SD card than what the original owners had on it. There was only about 500 mb of space left on a 4 gig SD card when I wiped it, now I have over 2 gigs of space left and that's after installing pretty much everything I feel I need

I would buy it from you if i had the cash.

I dunno much about operating systems i usually just run ubuntu or windows.

I used to have a pic of my raspberry collection but ive wiped my phone since

I'm a raw vegan and better than you.

nope it's all about handholding.

let us know if you do
>>>/robowaifu/40

I can definitely see the appeal of collecting these, it's a lot of fun to mess around with. I haven't gotten to play with any technology in a while. It's helping to take my mind off of other things that were going on which is nice.

do you have a hackerspace near by. I went to one with my dad once. it was kind of awkward but you can learn a lot and play with technology there

Not really sure, I may have to look into it. I have some friends that want to automate a few things with arduinos, so I'll be helping with doing that in the next month or so. I've been so focused on other things in life that I've stopped programming and playing with technology. I would really like to get back into it, but I guess I have to find the balance.

CAPTCHA related

File server.
Printer server.
Owncloud.
Torrentbox.
Jarvis system.

Take your pick.

Depending on the model you can use it for many different things. I have a cluster of 8 of the second gen ones running Debian that I'm using as a home server for backups, ad blocking, web filtering, and hosting a small static website that I own. I have a third gen that I use as an external flasher for manually updating Coreboot on my desktop and laptops. You can also use them as low power shitposting machines if you hook up a display, keyboard, and mouse. Those are only a few possibilities. There's also robotics and home automation projects you could try out.

heh

That's pretty cool, kinda wish I had a few more. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with this one I do have though. I was gonna fuck with it more tonight, but after coming home from the BBQ I was just at I just kinda don't want to do anything.